Speak Out: Is Casey Anthony guilty of murder?

Posted by donacita on Sun, Jul 3, 2011, at 4:06 PM:

I believe that Casey Anthony caused the death of her daughter, but it seems to me from what I have seen on tv and read in the paper that the prosecution does not have enough evidence to prove that she is guilty of first-degree murder.

What do you think?

Replies (22)

• Guilty or innocent, let the jury decide. I am ruddy well tired hearing about it.

The fact the nation is falling apart is far, far more important.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Jul 4, 2011, at 10:08 AM
  • I fundamentally oppose criminal cases based on circumstantial evidence, especially capital cases. Although it is compelling television, I am also opposed to television cameras in the courtroom.

I think Casey Anthony is guilty of something; whether it be intentional murder, willful neglect of a child, covering up an accident, or whatever. It cannot be proven what happened but it is apparent that Casey either attempted to ignore reality or avoid responsibility for the child's death.

It is almost impossible to predict what a jury's verdict will be especially since I have not followed the trial on a day-by-day basis.

-- Posted by Robert* on Mon, Jul 4, 2011, at 10:17 AM
  • Other charges against her:# Aggravated child abuse

# Aggravated manslaughter of a child

# 4 counts of providing false information to a law enforcement officer:

* That she worked at Universal Orlando in 2008,

* That she left Caylee with a babysitter named Zenaida Fernandez Gonzalez,

* That she told Jeffrey Hopkins and Juliette Lewis that Caylee was missing,

* That she received a phone call from Caylee on July 15, 2008.

Whether she actually killed her daughter or not, she guilty of being a sociopath.

-- Posted by donacita on Mon, Jul 4, 2011, at 10:44 AM
  • I foresee a guilty verdict on aggrivated manslaughter of a child and all counts on giving false information to the police. After watching this trial for several weeks I do not believe the prosecution has proved much of anything "beyond" a reasonable doubt. Then again, Im not on the jury and will not even attempt to second guess them.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Mon, Jul 4, 2011, at 1:32 PM
  • What do I think? I think what I think or what we think has nothing and should have nothing to do with it. That is why I don't think cameras should be allowed to air publicly. It is up to the jury to decide if the prosecution has proven guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Cameras impede the integrety of the court by inducing the 15 minutes of fame factor.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jul 4, 2011, at 6:21 PM
  • Simple case in my opinion. I thought the prosecution did an excellent job in closing arguements especially Linda Drane Burdick. She put the nail in the coffin.

Casey will be found guilty but in cases like these, the jury rarely pushes for the death penalty. Therefore, I don't think they will convict her of murder in the first. I think they will find her guilty of 2nd degree and she will end up with life in prison with no parole.

If no verdict tomorrow, then that means huge advantage for defense.

-- Posted by HeHateMeToo on Mon, Jul 4, 2011, at 9:27 PM
  • Can't believe it. I was wrong.

Possible that Casey will only get as little as one year in jail.

-- Posted by HeHateMeToo on Tue, Jul 5, 2011, at 1:32 PM
  • Well, I am a bit surprised however, as I said earlier, the prosecution didn't prove anything. They simply painted a picture of what they thought happened. Circumstantial at best. The Jury did its job in my opinion, hate her or not!

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Tue, Jul 5, 2011, at 1:40 PM
  • The O. J. thing all over again.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Jul 5, 2011, at 1:51 PM
  • The media, for the most part had already convicted Casey of murder. Unfortunately, most of us form our opinions on cases such as this only on the basis of what the media tells us.

Regardless how we may feel about the verdict of "not guilty", a person is innocent until proven guilty without a reasonable doubt. This jury did its job based on the information that was presented in court, much of which was never reported on. I've tried to put myself in this mother's shoes. I'm surprised at how soon the verdict was reached, but I'm not surprised she was proven not guilty.

-- Posted by swift on Tue, Jul 5, 2011, at 3:24 PM
  • Seems many of the legal pundits were terribly wrong in this case. I believe the evidence was not there and that the jury did its job. For that, they should be commended.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Tue, Jul 5, 2011, at 3:56 PM
  • Seems to me the prosecutors over reached when they charged for 1st degree murder with the possibility of the death sentence. They swung for the fences and possibly cost themselves a possible conviction on lesser counts. Perhaps, in the jury's eyes they cast doubt on the reliability of their witnesses?

-- Posted by Robert* on Tue, Jul 5, 2011, at 4:01 PM
  • You can't convict someone just because you 'think' they're guilty. There was never a 'cause of death' given by the prosecution. Duct tape over the child's mouth proves....there was duct tape over her mouth. No evidence that she was killed w/ that tape. The meter reader's testimony was very odd and most certainly, yes, so was Casey's. However, manic behavior during or after trama can cause behavior such as Casey's. Do I think she was guilty? Yes I do. Was there any doubt what so ever presented by the defense? Yes there was. Therefore, she found not guilty. It's not illegal to be an idiot or a bad parent. If it were, I can name several that should be behind bars! Gotta go w/ what the jury decided on this one folks.

-- Posted by kcgal on Tue, Jul 5, 2011, at 4:03 PM
  • Cases should not be tried in the news and talk media and this was thanks to the mouth of the south Nancy Grace (For three years). I thought the prosecution did an excellent job with what they had to work with. The defense did there job in representing there client. We are going to learn some day don't try cases in the news media, talk shows and through this new fad of social networking. I thought that Anthony would be found guilty of Murder in the 1st Degree but I was wrong with that said I respect the jury verdict

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Tue, Jul 5, 2011, at 4:58 PM
  • Another thing the government isn't good at.. highly publicized murder trial procecution.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Jul 5, 2011, at 5:55 PM
  • When the verdict was read I was Beyond disappointed, but apparently the prosecution's case left a reasonable doubt of her guilt. Her parents walked out of the courtroom. This woman may now be the most hated person in America....well, she might have to share that title with O.J.

-- Posted by donacita on Tue, Jul 5, 2011, at 7:07 PM
  • She is worse than OJ. To kill an innocent child is unforgivable.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Jul 5, 2011, at 8:23 PM
  • You are the same people that also believe Obama is a great president because the media told you so. You have all become drones.

-- Posted by jadip4me on Wed, Jul 6, 2011, at 8:21 AM
  • Rick,

I believe he is saying we are all too stupid to have an original thought.

That in itself says a lot about him.

Jadip, correct me if I am wrong. I am sure you believe that is the fact most of the time.

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Jul 6, 2011, at 10:07 AM
  • The jury has spoken. That is the end of it---legally. Everything else is speculation and opinion.

Can we please get on with other things?

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Jul 6, 2011, at 11:51 AM
  • Voyager,

Life is like a septic system. The bigger the t**d the quicker they float to the top.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jul 6, 2011, at 11:54 AM
  • Wheels, an English gentleman named Crapper took care of that problem.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Jul 6, 2011, at 12:17 PM

Respond to this thread