Speak Out: Hawthorne Road

Posted by sarah0612 on Tue, May 10, 2011, at 10:40 AM:

If you have ever driven down Hawthorne road in Cape you know that it is very dark at night. They really need to place some street lights on this road. I live on this road and recently had my car broken into and this isn't the first time it has happened to the residents on this road. I'm not saying that street lights would completely solve that problem, but it couldn't hurt it.

Replies (16)

• maybe a Neighborhood Watch Program would help ?

dunno , you have my sympathy .

-- Posted by Smoke. on Tue, May 10, 2011, at 12:05 PM
  • If you're a take-charge, "don't need no, or can't wait for, stinkin' government help, I'll do it myself" kinda person - here's Ameren's rate sheet for street lighting - http://www.ameren.com/sites/aue/Rates/Documents/umbe39rt5M.pdf

-- Posted by fxpwt on Tue, May 10, 2011, at 4:54 PM
  • 30 -30 with night vision.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, May 10, 2011, at 7:30 PM
  • fxpwt, Could one buy a light and pole and install it one's own property for a lot less in the long run?

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, May 10, 2011, at 8:32 PM
  • it would proberly be easier to promote rumors of a late night creature that roams those dark streets..

-- Posted by Smoke. on Tue, May 10, 2011, at 8:37 PM
  • OJ - Ameren does have a separate rate sheet for customer-owned lighting - http://www.ameren.com/sites/aue/Rates/Documents/umbe45rt6M.pdf.

If one is after safety and security - saving a couple bucks per month won't offset the cost of one oopsie on the ladder trying to change the bulb. :-)

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, May 11, 2011, at 3:23 AM
  • Get a 12 gauge shotgun and a German shepherd guard dog.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, May 11, 2011, at 7:37 AM
  • Or everyone could just leave their porch lights on...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, May 11, 2011, at 9:26 AM
  • fxpwt, I have a mercury vapor light attatched via pole bolted to the garage making it 15'. It's been working for over 20 years with only a photo cell replacement and cost nothing more than the electricity it uses.

Back in the early days, my dad had a light installed to shine toward the farm fuel tanks not far from the house. He insisted it be on a switch saying the thought of a light turned on an intruder would better deter than one left on. He wasn't around when motion detector lights came on the scene.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, May 11, 2011, at 9:39 AM
  • Yeah Old John, and I'm betting those fuel tanks were in 12 Gage range of the front porch as well.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, May 11, 2011, at 9:42 AM
  • Maybe solar-recharge system?

I personally use the sodium-lamps for such---but, a solar-type system would be basically simple & safe. And certainly better than nothing.

Or maybe a motion-sensor, about 4-feet off the ground?(Couple it with a relatively-cheap "Game-Camera", even?) Yeah, lots of "false-positives", but every now and then, you might still catch a winner/loser...?

I know a fella with an old, obsolete "StarLight"-scope w/mounts, that he might wanna sell. Kinda heavy, though? 'Specially when it's full of batteries---which are NOT-included, of course...☺!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist a "trademark"-barb! I've got a reputation to protect, y'know???)☺!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, May 11, 2011, at 10:23 AM
  • donknome-2 - have looked into the solar/battery/LED roadway lighting. Neat concept, but lighting intensity is less than conventional lamps, and the upfront cost is on the order of 10x of conventional.

The current benefits lie with the cost of powering in remote locations where long wire runs would be needed, areas of frequent power outages, or those who are die-hard greenies.

The stuff is becoming more available and the costs are coming down - some sites of interest - http://www.oksolar.com/lighting/, and http://www.solarlighting.com/?mm_campaign=ce046a273cd8040c3a566b1435df78a6&keywo...

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, May 11, 2011, at 8:23 PM
  • motion detector lights are cheap to buy these days...

-- Posted by Rick* on Wed, May 11, 2011, at 8:34 PM
  • Old John and Wheels,

Years ago, there was a local young-un who liked to coast in to our fuel tanks about midnight. My dad was never quite fast enough to get to the shotgun. But he tried.

A neighbor had a better idea. He had two fuel tanks; one for diesel and the other for gasoline. He stored diesel in the one labeled 'gasoline' and gasoline in the one labeled 'diesel'. I know of at least one time there was a car stalled in the driveway the next morning.

And, yes, everyone had a 'pole light' back then. Should work as well for them city folks as it did/does for us hillbillys.

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, May 11, 2011, at 9:55 PM
  • Then again, a model T coil has been known to discourage anyone who would touch your car!

-- Posted by Robert* on Thu, May 12, 2011, at 12:47 AM
  • FXPWT: Yeah, I'll give you the "win" on that-subject. Not nearly as many lumens, as the "normal"-lighting options. And they seem to have a relatively-short lifespan, for such an initial-cost?

I especially liked one-particular system, that advertised "...if the system didn't accept a full-recharge, due to extended cloud-cover in daytime(duh!), an optional, automatically-activated AC-ADAPTER FOR BACK-UP was available for order, if desired..."!☺

I admittedly am not that familiar with the Hawthorne Road-area, so I don't know what, if any, additional rules, regs, ordinances, etc., would apply, in respect to height, intensity, location?

I'm out-county, and have one Co-Op owned sodium, and my own personal mercury, as well. The Co-Op sodium is a more natural-light---but you can't beat my mercury-vapor for intensity, especially in fog...

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, May 12, 2011, at 9:52 AM

Respond to this thread