Speak Out: Should female soilders be allowed to wear a abaya ?

Posted by Old John on Tue, Apr 5, 2011, at 10:21 AM:

Bloody, In my world this would never come up as I do not want my daughter, my wife, my sister or my mother serving as a combat soldier.

Do real men send their women in to do their fighting? If anything I think this man's army is handicapped with all the politically correct crap of today.

Women are very capable of serving in military positions of high responsibility and honor without dodging bullets in my opinion.

Sending women in to a country to express respect to those that degrade and supress the God given rights of women is against the principles of the free country the women and our nation represent.

Replies (7)

• Well, the argument over sending women to war was settled long ago, for better or worse.

Uniform standards appear to be lacking. Being a former Navy man, I can tell you that, when in uniform, we were expected to present a uniform appearance. There would be no question of this in the Navy, since only Navy-issued headgear was approved as uniform wear topside or ashore. We wore do-rags, headbands, and scarves below deck (fashioned from cloth gathered from the rag bin), but those were removed at the engine-room door. We were not permitted to go shirtless or coverless topside of the public was present. The Marines, of course, are the same. They are, after all, part of the Navy, even if they don't like to admit it.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Apr 5, 2011, at 10:31 AM
  • There was a time when the United States was known for excellence. When the Army was sent to war, it was sent to win the battle, defeat the enemy, and come home victorious. American companies were known for producing the best quality products. Everyone worked to be able to afford the best. This was a time of national expansion.

Now we are afraid to be known as a 'bully'. We send our troops out on 'peace-keeping mission'. They are allowed to fire only after having been fired upon. Rather than send out an unstoppable force and getting the job done we send troops out on a limited mission and leave them in place for 50 years. No wonder we have become the world's largest debtor nation and lost the respect of the world!

It is time for us to get our nose out of other people's business, take care of our own business, and regain the respect of the world!

-- Posted by Robert* on Tue, Apr 5, 2011, at 2:47 PM
  • No

-- Posted by Acronym on Tue, Apr 5, 2011, at 3:04 PM
  • Shapley, Perhaps a different war-time than when you served? Today, our military--men and women-- are taught how to adapt military traditions, while respecting cultural differences.

If captured, American female soldiers in Iraq or Afghanistan may be killed for not wearing traditional hijab.

-- Posted by Dick888 on Tue, Apr 5, 2011, at 4:13 PM
  • http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/31/dont-forget-your-hijab-soldier-american-servic...

A different war, perhaps. I was in in peace-time, unless you count the 'Cold War'. Even so, the Navy's rules on uniforms did not falter during the war.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Apr 5, 2011, at 4:38 PM
  • NO

-- Posted by vietnamvet on Thu, Apr 7, 2011, at 6:07 AM
  • It oughtta be digital camo. Not pink.

-- Posted by slim_pickens on Thu, Apr 7, 2011, at 6:28 AM

Respond to this thread