Speak Out: we need weapons

Posted by Robert* on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 8:04 PM:

Some of us are just crazy enough to bring a knife to a gun fight............not naming names

Replies (35)

• "You cannot invade the mainland United States.

There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (Japanese Navy)

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 8:43 PM
  • "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

-- Posted by Acronym on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 6:43 AM
  • "...our rights by Marshall Laws ...."

That's absolutely right, we have to find this "Marshall Laws" person and stop him.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 7:24 AM
  • Rick

Have you been shooting at the cars with out of state license plates again?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 8:47 AM
  • We've been told the pen is mightier than the sword. (I suppose we can consider the sword a weapon.)

The problem is most people don't know how to use the pen and are too faint hearted to reach for the sword.

And then we have a group of people who want to restrict your right to use the pen and want to take away your right to have and use a sword.

Of course, they plan to be the master and you to be their slaves, counting of the fact that you're to dumb to understand what's happening.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 9:06 AM
  • Rick: Hey, would ya' be interested in a---umm, never mind. You'll know where I'm at, if/when push comes to shove. Ain't worried about surviving "it", because I don't think any of us will want "it", afterwards!

(Aw, MAN!!! THAT'S what I forgot to do this morning---take those 3-little red, green, an' white-pills, that look just like a little smiley-face clown, when they're lined-up in my palm!☺!) LOL!!! Supposedly they "normalize" my well-being?

So, if any of you EVER find out exactly what NORMAL is---you let me know, so's I can tell if I really WANT to be such, for certain...???

(Take this with a BIG-"grain of salt", fellas....!☺)

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 11:41 AM
  • Regret,

Don't worry about those out-of-staters. Rick's only weapon is a potato gun.

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 11:48 AM
  • I didn't realize potatoes were all that dangerous.

-- Posted by Acronym on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 12:14 PM
  • Depends upon their state of maturity, Acronym.

If they're REAL old ... gushy & smelly ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 5:27 PM
  • If they're REAL old ... gushy & smelly ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 5:27 PM

Well, in that case, I'm probably pretty dangerous.

-- Posted by Acronym on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 6:36 PM
  • "...you are suppose to be ignoring my posts because i am a member of the "peanut gallery" , remember ?"

Yes, of course, the "Peanut Gallery" (noun: (figurative) people whose criticisms are regarded as irrelevant or insignificant...)

Usually, I can and do ignore irrelevant or insignificant comments, but sometimes I can't resist.

This is particularly the case when a complete stranger claims that he will "get more satisfaction beating the living hell out of you..."

Not only is the claim totally absurd, because it is impossible that you could carry it out, there is also no chance of my ever having any desire to "c'mon over and trespass."

It's possible that more foolish, outlandish and weird claims have appeared on these posts, but the one --

Posted by Rick... on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 6:22 PM,

has to be among the most bizarre.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 7:47 PM
  • The bizarre is so commonplace the days. The truly intelligent has bcome an exception and a rarity.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 8:38 PM
  • I didn't realize potatoes were all that dangerous.

-- Posted by Acronym on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 12:14 PM

A friend accidentally shot his truck door. It caved it in pretty good.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 9:28 PM
  • You don't pull the mask off the ole lone ranger and you don't make fun of Rick's guns!

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 10:19 PM
  • A friend posted this elsewhere. I thought it proper to place it here. I particularly like #10.

USMC Rules for Gunfighting

1. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Your life is expensive.

3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly.

5. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.

7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.

9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.

9.5 Use a gun that works EVERY TIME.

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

11. Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

12. Have a plan.

13. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.

14. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.

15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

16. Don't drop your guard.

17. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.

18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).

19. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.

20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

22. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.

23. Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

24. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a ".4"

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 1:59 PM
  • -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 2:48 PM
  • -- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 1:59 PM

Forwarded to some people who teach that sort of thing.

A variation of #10. "They can take my gun from me, but it will be hot and empty."

-- Posted by Acronym on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 3:21 PM
  • Theorist wrote:

"Egad Shap...try pacifism."

The Cemeteries are full of pacifists.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 3:28 PM
  • I like the story I heard years ago about the Quaker (one of the original Pacifists) who was holding a gun pointed at a threat to his well being.

It goes like:

Friend, I would do thee no harm for anything in the world.... but thou standest where I am about to shoot!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 3:32 PM
  • "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

-- Posted by Acronym on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 3:53 PM
  • I believe the Marine rules are based on the philosophy that, while it is clearly stupid to bring a knife to a gunfight, it is just as stupid to bring too little gun to a gunfight.

I did have to point out to my friend that, to a Marine, 'gun' has a different meaning, and thus they would talk about bringing a 'firearm' to a gunfight. While bringing a 'gun' to such a fight will probably win it hands down, a 'gun' is a big grey thing the Navy mounts on a turntable on the deck of a ship. They Navy fires them over the heads of the Marines to clear them a smooth patch of ground so they can attend said gunfights, usually armed with firearms.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 4:15 PM
  • I have yet to meet a member of any military organization who was not at one time trained how to kill people.

I don't believe anyone is advocating a violence first approach in civilian life. In civilian life, conflict resolution by non violent means is the preferred goal. If that is not possible the decision must be made whether or not a forceful resolution is appropriate.

-- Posted by Acronym on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 6:03 PM
  • I-----yi, yi, yi!!!.....Never mind, I think I'll "take the Fifth" on this for now!

And along with the bottle---grab that Amendment layin' there, too...!!!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 9:06 PM
  • Theorist wrote:

"Ah Shap, they are full of antagonists as well. Supporting a philosophical belief that violence and force should always be used to resolve conflicts is a mistake!"

Re-read the post. It talks about what to bring to a gunfight. If you're a pacifist, don't go. However, if you are a Marine, going to gunfights is what you do for a living. The rules are about how to make it back out of the gunfight.

Typically, it's not about being an antagonist. More often than not, the Marines are going into the gunfight to get the pacifists out of it.

"Marines don't refer to their weapons as "guns" either, lol."

I thought that was what I said...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 9:51 PM
  • "Marines don't refer to their weapons as "guns" either, lol."

I think she was thinking of a verse credited to the Army SH. Must've had her mind in the gutter.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 9:57 PM
  • Shap, Some of my school mates back on first leave from the Navy had learned a new song: "This is my rifle and this my gun, this for shootin.."

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 10:06 PM
  • Wheels and Old John,

Yes, I am familiar with the verse, but I was trying to keep things on a 'G' rating... :)

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 8:04 AM
  • Marines, in Boot Camp, are taught to refer to their weapons as 'weapons', 'firearms', 'arms' or 'pieces'. 'Handgun' is an acceptable term for pistols, but I believe 'sidearm' is preferred.

As several here have noted, 'gun' has two meanings, one anatomical and one referring 'the big guns', which refers to artillery pieces, as I mentioned.

The addendum to the Marine Rules are the Navy Rules for attending a Gunfight:

1) Send in the Marines.

2) Have a cup of coffee.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 8:09 AM
  • Shap, When the Somali pirates were taken out by Navy sharp shooters, was that done solely with the marksmanship of the rifle holders or is there sophisticated equipment to compensate for the ship's movement?

From what I gathered, that was some amazing accuracy.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 9:54 AM
  • Egad Shap...try pacifism.

-- Posted by Theorist on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 2:36 PM

Pacisfism is nice in theory, but the world is full of evil people that pray on others.

In World War II we vowed to be a pacifist country, until attacked at Pearl Harbor.

Tell me, how did our pacifism stance work out for Eruopean jews and Gypsys

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 10:13 AM
  • Old John,

Those were Navy Seals, and they relies solely on their skill. We do have some sailors that carry firearms, and use them well, but for the most part, we let the Marines do the 'grunt' work...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 10:22 AM
  • Them Navy Seals are some BAD dudes!!

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 10:26 AM
  • More and more sailors are using weapons now. VBSS Small Boat Units (Visit,Board, Search, Seizure) are on many Naval vessels and are involved in non-compliant boarding, a job which use to be the purview of SEAL Teams. The last pirates captured were by such a unit. They receive quite a bit of advanced training though no where near what the SEAL Units go through.

-- Posted by Acronym on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 12:49 PM
  • Guns are meant for killing. What do you think they're for, picking cherries out of trees?

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 12:53 PM
  • For consideration, when governments decide to strip citizens of their freedoms they always use soldiers to do it. Military always has the best in weaponry and training in order to offset them being outnumbered. This is why citizens should have access to purchase for themselves 'military' grade firearms.

-- Posted by non-biasedphilosopher on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 8:30 PM

Respond to this thread