Speak Out: Tom Coburn's Marie Antoinette moment

Posted by FriendO on Fri, Aug 28, 2009, at 12:23 PM:

http://www.slate.com/id/2226623/

Attention, all those dropped by their insurance providers: Dr. Coburn's office is now accepting new patients.

Replies (3)

• FriendO,

I totally agree with the first several paragraphs of the article. However, after reading the transcript I failed to interpret Coburn's response as telling the lady in the audience to kiss off. But, I didn't watch the video either, perhaps he comes across that way.

I understood Coburn's answer as saying that "his office" would "help", and that communities should assist their members when need be. That the state should not be first and only avenue of assistance. I can agree with that, although I probably wouldn't have cheered him on.

Whatever happened to "it takes a village", or does that only apply to domestic spying and reporting parents to the DCS these days?

Have a good weekend.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Fri, Aug 28, 2009, at 1:22 PM
  • I agree I did not see anything mean-spirited. what did jump out, though, was his willingness to disregard government help with one hand while volunteering his help (read: pull a few strings) on the other. Essentially: this squeaky wheel got the government grease.

It does take a village, but my neighborhood hasn't pooled enough money for that MRI machine yet. maybe a few more potlucks will do the trick.

-- Posted by FriendO on Fri, Aug 28, 2009, at 1:41 PM
  • FriendO,

Good points. Everytime somebody throws in the word "individually" I get weird and believe that they are acting on their own. I cannot forgot that Coburn is a politician, and as such, never to be trusted.

The neighborhood MRI co-op is not so far fetched. Small communities will mutally agree to pool their resources to create a sort of medical services underground in order to get around the inevitable state monopoly. It will happen if it is not happening already. The most innovative Americans can always be found moving their goods and services in the blackmarket.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Sat, Aug 29, 2009, at 9:27 AM

Respond to this thread