Speak Out: is there a political advantage when breaking the same law?

Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Dec 12, 2010, at 7:42 PM:

Wesley Snipes goes to jail for breaking the same law as Rangel. Why does Rangel get a slap on the list even when he wrote the laws. Why do they keep their Cadillac health plans while we the payers get a death sentence. It is time they live under the same laws they write.

Replies (11)

• It's one of those things where everyone wants to show they like a a black guy.

Huckabee has him on his show tonight to prove himself not a racist. The beat goes on.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Dec 12, 2010, at 7:48 PM
  • OJ,

I don't know how much of it is the "black" issue, since they are both black. I suspect that part of it was the amount of money owed by the actor, vs. making a fellow member of Congress look bad. After all, Rangel was re-elected even with his constituents aware of the charges against him, and Snipes hasn't made a good movie in years.

-- Posted by SEMO_Storyteller on Sun, Dec 12, 2010, at 8:31 PM
  • Semo, A point I overlooked. Thanks for bringing it up.

I didn't know who Snipes is except someone in Hollywood but I should have checked before my post.

So why is it everyone seems to be bending over backwards not to call Rangel what he is?

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Dec 12, 2010, at 8:41 PM
  • OJ

My thoughts. Washington considers themselves about the common folk. I thought they worked for us?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Dec 13, 2010, at 9:42 AM
  • Rangel is black? I thought he was Puerto Rican.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Dec 13, 2010, at 10:49 AM
  • It isn't even a black thing. The slap on the wrist is followed by patting each other on the back for getting away with their own misdeeds.

It's like a movie star beating his wife and going to detox. It makes him whole again in the eyes of the star struck.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Dec 13, 2010, at 12:08 PM
  • Charges against Rep. Rangel:

1.) Conduct in violation of the solicitation and ift ban (Not a law, I beleive, but a House Rule)

2.) Conduct in violations of Code of Ethics for Government Service (House Rule Violation)

3.) Conduct in violation of the House gift rule (House Rule Violation)

4.) Conduct in violation of postal service laws and franking commission regulations (Breach of the Law)

5.) Conduct in violation of any franking statute

(Breach of the Law)

6.) Conduct in violation of House Office Building Commission's Regulations (Ethics Rule - this is the same rule that Al Gore famously stated there is no 'controlling legal authority)

7.) Conduct in violation of the purpose law and the Member's Congressional Handbook (House Rules Violation)

8.) Conduct in violation of the Letterhead Rules

(House Rules Violation)

9.) Conduct in violation of the Ethics in Government Act (EIGA) and House Rule 16

(Breach of the Law and of House Rules)

10.) Conduct in violation of Code of ethics for Government Service (clause 5) (Ethics Violation)

11.) Conduct in violation of Code of Ethics for Government Service (clause 2) (Ethics Violation)

12.) Conduct in Violation of the Code of Conduct: Letter and Spirit of House Rules (House Rules Violation)

13.) Conduct in Violation of the Code of Conduct: Conduct Reflecting Discredibility on the House (Ethics Vioalation)

He was found guilty by an eight-lawmaker subcommittee on 11 charges. He was not exhonerated on the other two, but rather the panel decided they were too similar to other charges and rolled them into a single count.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Dec 13, 2010, at 3:56 PM
  • People expect and congress should be held to a higher standard. Lawyers face disbarment for breach of ethics, doctors risk loss of practice priveledge, congress and presidents seem to get away with a lot.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Dec 13, 2010, at 11:42 PM
  • Nil, You probably know more about it than I do and what you say makes sense. I skimmed through a book by David Limbaugh, men in black, I think. The book kinda made the point that the scrupples of people in high office determine the fate of our republic.

Off subject, I am operating in window 7 safe mode. For some reason [probably fat finger] the mouse pad on the laptop is locked. Anyone got any ideas what's wrong?

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Dec 14, 2010, at 1:12 AM
  • Old John,

Just purchased a new HP Laptop and I think I read something about being able to turn the pad off and on from the upper left corner of the mousepad. Mine has a little dot there,but I have not been that far in my exploring yet. Maybe I will wait until you get yours back on before trying. :-(

If all else fails.....find you a 9 year old kid off the street, I think they will be able to help you.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Dec 14, 2010, at 8:30 AM
  • Thanks for the help. I found an update file from MS that down loaded about the same time the touch pad quit and used recovery to restore to previous. Seems ok now.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Dec 14, 2010, at 11:26 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: