Speak Out: College textbooks are rank #3 as the most outrageously cost item for Americans this past year.

Posted by D49F11 on Sun, Dec 5, 2010, at 7:43 AM:

In 2010, the annual in-state cost for the typical state university soared to more than $18,000, and private colleges now charge an average of $35,600 a year. As if college kids (and their parents) aren't financially drained enough, there's yet another inflated price they face: college textbooks. College students spend an average of $900 a year on textbooks.

College textbook prices have skyrocketed 186% since 1986, and these expensive volumes of knowledge now account for an increasing portion of the overall cost of college. Unfortunately, broke college students are required to purchase these costly books for their classes. At least they can try to sell their books back to a local bookstore at the end of the semester -- for a few measly bucks. Or that new text book your college student just bought this year will not be used next year therefore, can not be resold.

Replies (6)

• I went to Mizzou many years ago and the rent of the text books were just a few dollars less than purchasing them. My daughter is attending Murray State nursing grad school and she said this is also true at Murray-rent is only a few dollars less than buying the books.

-- Posted by D49F11 on Sun, Dec 5, 2010, at 8:56 AM
  • some universities offer used textbooks. agree prices are getting out of hand.

-- Posted by ho ho ho on Sun, Dec 5, 2010, at 11:16 AM
  • BCStoned, you have not been in a classroom lately. very few college text are offered electronically.

-- Posted by coke zero on Sun, Dec 5, 2010, at 11:36 AM
  • renting books at semo cost 100-150 per semester. very cheap. Though some professors make you buy supplementary books as well, but usually not to bad.

my years at another university cost about $1000 a year (taking 18 credits per semester) I think I made about $200 of it selling back.

Also there are websites where you can buy books online for much cheaper than you will find on campus.

-- Posted by futile_rant on Sun, Dec 5, 2010, at 9:02 PM
  • College textbooks are a racket at many schools. Colleges require the purchase of texbooks which, as often as not, are not used in the classroom. the Information covered could easily be found online or in other available reference sources, but the textbooks purchases are mandatory.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sun, Dec 5, 2010, at 9:43 PM
  • I rented my textbooks when I attended SEMO.

Does anyone know if textbooks can be claimed on taxes?

-- Posted by redpen on Mon, Dec 6, 2010, at 7:50 AM

Respond to this thread