Speak Out: Must See in Missouri

Posted by lumbrgfktr on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 11:44 AM:

What are your ideas for things to see and do in Missouri? This is actually inspired by Rick in another post. I was replying, but figured it would make a good thread of its own.

Mine (off the top of my head of things I have done):

Negro League Baseball Museum (KC)

Gates BBQ (KC)

Fall Boathouse rental table rock lake

Caving (all over the state)

Mizzou Tailgate

Washington Area Wineries

The Muny

Brewery Tour

Grants Farm

Laumeier Sculpture Park

Purina Farms

Planetarium

Transportation Museum

Floating on the Meramec

Missouri History Museum

Trout Fishing

Ozark Hiking

Replies (14)

• Broadway in Cape Girardeau MO

-- Posted by howdydoody on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 12:06 PM
  • Branson

Table Rock Lake

Lake Tanneycomo

Hannibal

Big Spring

California

Mexico

Cuba

Houston

Vincennes

Rosebud

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 12:34 PM
  • Going to all the places James Baughn writes about! I never realized that Missouri had so many interesting places to visit and see.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 2:12 PM
  • Ozark Scenic Riverways

Table Rock Lake

Pickle Springs

Crown Winery, and the Champagne House, Famington

Dawt Mill

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 2:55 PM
  • Anywhere around Eminence

Trail of Tears State Park

All wineries

-- Posted by doggone on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 2:58 PM
  • McCormick Distillery Weston, MO

Pony Express Museum St. Joseph, MO

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 3:14 PM
  • The ozarks alone can keep people busy a summer.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 3:52 PM
  • 7 year old grandson's soccer practice at Laurel Park?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 5:04 PM
  • Lumbr, I've been meaning to go to the transportation museum for quite some time. Last chance was trumped by Warrenton to buy shoes at the outlet center.

Rural Missouri, published monthly by the electric coops does a "voted best" for eats and day trips.

We visted a restraunt a few years ago that was voted tops. Bailey Joe's in Ironton was worth the drive and of course the elephant rocks and the civil war museum along with fall foilage made for a great day.

Here close to Cape, I have delighted some of my friends with a short drive to the Block Hole and following the old federal road that James covered in his blog a while back. If you have read anything of The Allenville Kids website, you can see his passion along the way. You can see where James Hilderbrand claims to have routed a union supply train and see the only reminder left in a sign that says Round Pond Rd.

Don't take anything fancy to entertain me. :)

And lastly may I say, it is amazing how folks from out state come to vist us and find things of such interest, [things right here in our own backyard to speak] that we never notice.

Thanks for creating the thread!

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 5:46 PM
  • Lambert's

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 8:58 PM
  • I know, Real-ist, it looks awful and has looked that way for a while now. I spend my time there on the hiking trails which are beautiful, and only 15 minutes from my front door!

-- Posted by doggone on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 11:45 AM
  • I forget the name of it but there is a famous Catholic Church in St Louis that is famouse for it's mosaics. It is really worth seeing. Pretty amazing.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 1:41 PM
  • adidas,

That is the St. Louis Basilica. It is on Linden, near Forest Park.

The Old Cathedral downtown is worth a visit, too. There is also the Fox Theatre, and Powell Hall, both on North Grand Avenue, worth a visit. You can see the massive Church at St. Louis University, and the Rock Church, while in the area.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 2:14 PM
  • Shape,

Make that "It is on Lindell" and I will agree with you. (Danged contrary keyboards) I was there a couple of weeks ago showing a visitor from Holland around. I believe there are more mosaics there than in any other single building in the world. But I would need to check that as a fact. Whatever there are a lot of them and it is an interesting see for free.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 4:33 PM

Respond to this thread