Speak Out: Obama gets one right

Posted by blogbudsman on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 7:20 AM:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/09/us/09secrets.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

A sharply divided federal appeals court on Wednesday dismissed a lawsuit involving the Central Intelligence Agency's practice of seizing terrorism suspects and transferring them to other countries for imprisonment and interrogation. The ruling handed a major victory to the Obama administration in its effort to advance a sweeping view of executive secrecy power.

The decision bolstered an array of ways in which the Obama administration has pressed forward with broad counter-terrorism policies after taking over from the Bush team, a degree of continuity that has departed from the expectations fostered by President Obama's campaign rhetoric, which was often sharply critical of President Bush's approach.

Among other policies, the Obama team has also placed a United States citizen on a targeted-killings list without a trial, blocked efforts by detainees in Afghanistan to bring habeas-corpus lawsuits challenging their indefinite imprisonment, and continued the C.I.A. rendition program...

Replies (8)

• It ain't change, but it's something we can believe in.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 7:28 AM
  • Spaniard wrote:

"You can believe in placing an american citizen on an assassination list by your government?"

No. But I've believed in the rendition programme. The 'hit list' is not a continuation of Bush policy, and is Obama's own idea. I believe it to be unconstitutional.

While it is reminiscent of the old 'Wanted: Dead or Alive' posters of the Wild West, it violates the rights of an American citizen. It is my understanding that the 'Wanted: Dead or Alive" bounty was only allowed under two conditions: They subject was not an American Citizen (Indians were commonly subjected to such bounties), or they had been convicted, in person or in absentia, of a capital offense.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 8:32 AM
  • Wouldn't it be a whole lot simpler just to administer a bullet in the back of the head? Stalin had it down to a fine science. Hitler made it so complicated with infrastructure and gas chambers and all. Both were effective.

Americans just can't seem to get some things right, sad to say, due to lack of experience.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 9:29 AM
  • It's a good thing that the terrorists hate us becuase of our freedom. They gotta be hating us less and less everyday.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 11:59 AM
  • "What a revoltin' developlment this is!" from The Life of Riley radio program 1940's

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Sep 9, 2010, at 2:12 PM
  • good point Vandeven

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 2:31 PM
  • Spaniard,

President Bush suspended Habeas Corpus only for aliens and foreigners determined to be 'enemy combatants', which is to say they are given the same treatment as prisoners of war. This is the same rule applied by President Lincoln to Confederates, by the way. War is Hell.

I would point out that, for all the ballyhooing by the Democrats, they have renewed the Patriot Act yet again. What, specifically, bothers you about the act?

I do not pretend to know all of the specifics about Jose Padilla (a.k.a. Abdullah al-Muhajir), but he is currently in prison for serious crimes. The courts have ruled in favour of the government on most matters of the handling of the case, citing the authorizaiton of force resolution passed by Congress.

Rendition may have problems, but it involves non-citizens, so Constitutional issues are not in force, only treaties and the Geneva Conventions signed by the U.S. We have not signed all of the conventions, including the ones giving non-uniformed combatants, terrorists, and spies the same treatment as uniformed combatants. 'The possibility of torture' is less problematic to me, as I am concerned with actualities, not probabilities.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 3:16 PM
  • Spaniard- get over Bush. He isn't in the White House anymore. There's nothing he can do now.

Your beloved Obama is in power. Send your problems to him.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Fri, Sep 10, 2010, at 5:27 PM

Respond to this thread