Speak Out: Graffitti on Academic Hall Dome.

Posted by mynameismud on Tue, Aug 17, 2010, at 10:19 PM:

Did anyone happen to see the graffitti on the Dome last week? Someone broke into the scaffolding behind the building, climbed up to the roof, and spray painted "Feed Me Money" on the dome. Pictures would be great!

Replies (24)

• Wasn't that just a bit dangerous and risky.

-- Posted by voyager on Tue, Aug 17, 2010, at 10:25 PM
  • Oh no you weren't!Sounds like something he would do.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 6:36 AM
  • They were probably the same miscreants who "decorated" Rosie, the Capaha Park locomotive.

http://www.capecentralhigh.com/cape-photos/parks/hooligans-deface-train/

Or, their grandkids.

-- Posted by ksteinhoff on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 8:47 AM
  • Heard that Dobbins felt threatened by the whole thing.

-- Posted by mynameismud on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 11:47 AM
  • Heard that Dobbins felt threatened by the whole thing.

-- Posted by mynameismud on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 11:47 AM
  • I don't get it.

Everybody whines about SEMO and the cost. However, its the most affordable state university in Missouri.

Don't like it? Then don't go. Go pay more money somewhere else and make everybody happy.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 5:29 PM
  • I realize that Southeast is a very affordable instution, that's where I recieved my degree. I also see as an employee of the same instution the mismanagement of funds. The rank and file employee can't get a cost of living raise but numerous brand new cars can be bought for Dr. Dobbins, department directors, and coaches .

-- Posted by mynameismud on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 6:27 PM
  • catfish, the coaches cars are not purchased. My understanding is that those are loaned or maybe leased by the various dealers in the area. And I wonder how many of the coaches actually get them?

I'm not disagreeing with the mismanagement of money though. How bout them re-planting the flowers on each end of Normal this week? Gee I believe they just re-did them two weeks ago when I was moving back to Cape, but you know with the new students arriving tomorrow we better start over. Give it a week or two and they'll be replaced again..

-- Posted by redhawkstudent on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 6:38 PM
  • The flowers on the west end of Normal in front of Houck and above the band field are replaced before big events to look fresh since they don't have flowers that bloom from May October (graduation to homecoming). It is a waste but not as bad as buying mini vehicles for facilities that cost more than a brand new half ton pickup truck at the time. Or buying two new police vehicles every year and allowing buildings and parking lots to crumble. I could go on for hours and hours with this stuff.

-- Posted by mynameismud on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 8:27 PM
  • The graffiti was not very imaginative. Having gone to so much trouble to scale up there and faced the danger of injury one would have hoped for something with more wit and intelligence,

But of course it wasn't a very intelligent thing to do in the first place, so guess it figures.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 10:02 PM
  • I would have to guess that it's actually pretty safe up there right now with all of the regulations that OSHA applies to scaffolding. It would be pretty nerve wracking to most people to be up in the air that high though.

-- Posted by mynameismud on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 10:26 PM
  • Have you ever been up in the dome from the inside? It was possible when I was a kid, but don't know about now. There was an entrance I believe on the top floor through an unlocked door which looked like a classroom door.

There was a circular staircase that went to the top. Somebody apparantlly had to climb it to change the lightbulb in the crown of the dome. I tried to climb it to the top but got frightened and maybe got half way. The scary part was coming down.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 10:38 PM
  • Yea, Voy I have been up there before, it is very interesting up there. Seems a waste that an area so Interesting and historic is locked down.

-- Posted by mynameismud on Thu, Aug 19, 2010, at 6:23 AM
  • My little misadventure occurred in the late 1940's. I never quite understood why a young kid could be so invisible.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Aug 19, 2010, at 8:32 AM
  • PETA,

Won't argue that Southeast Missmanages funds. However I think some of your facts are wrong.

First, the coaches cars are provided through booster club agreements at no cost to the school. Many of my friends were athletes and coaches so I am sure about that.

The plants used on campus are grown in the greenhouse. My best friend was a hort major.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Thu, Aug 19, 2010, at 10:35 AM
  • Those plants might be grown by the students, but people from facilities management are the ones always out there doing them. I wouldn't have a problem if they were replaced like catfish said "before big events" but what constitutes a big event? They are out there ALL THE TIME.

I'm sitting in Parker right now and just saw the same DPS car drive past twice in a matter of 5 minutes.

-- Posted by redhawkstudent on Thu, Aug 19, 2010, at 5:00 PM
  • Redhawkstudent,

Soooo you don't think Move in day and the start of school is a big event?

But if you see this, I suggest you document it and list as examples. Using hearsay and vague genaralizations does nothing in a depate. Kind of Like Peta who was complaining about somthing she assumed and didn't understand only to learn those were postive things about the university, not negative.

Now I won't disagree with wasted labor. Just provide examples in this thread.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Fri, Aug 20, 2010, at 10:49 AM
  • They should have wrote, Billy Bob loves Charlene, in John Deere green.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Fri, Aug 20, 2010, at 2:42 PM
  • Chronicle of Philanthropy Nov. 10, 2006: Republicans give bigger share of their incomes to charity. (http://philanthropy.com/article/Charitys-Political-Divide/54871/)

Who Really Cares: The Surpising Truth About Compassionate Conservatism: (http://richiericher.wordpress.com/2008/02/01/arthur-brooks-who-really-cares-the-surprising-truth-about-compassionate-conservatism/)

"Sixteen months ago, Arthur C. Brooks, a professor at Syracuse University, published "Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth About Compassionate Conservatism." The surprise is that liberals are markedly less charitable than conservatives.

If many conservatives are liberals who have been mugged by reality, Brooks, a registered independent, is, as a reviewer of his book said, a social scientist who has been mugged by data. They include these findings:

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Brooks demonstrates a correlation between charitable behavior and "the values that lie beneath" liberal and conservative labels. Two influences on charitable behavior are religion and attitudes about the proper role of government.

The single biggest predictor of someone's altruism, Willett says, is religion. It increasingly correlates with conservative political affiliations because, as Brooks' book says, "the percentage of self-described Democrats who say they have 'no religion' has more than quadrupled since the early 1970s." America is largely divided between religious givers and secular nongivers, and the former are disproportionately conservative. One demonstration that religion is a strong determinant of charitable behavior is that the least charitable cohort is a relatively small one -- secular conservatives."

Bleeding Heart Tightwads. (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/opinion/21kristof.html)

Missing in all of my Googling was a single source that indicated, with factual data, anything to the contrary. There are blog after blog attacking the accuracy of the data, as you have done mine, but none that offers a single, factual source of data that suggests otherwise.

I await yours.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Aug 20, 2010, at 2:55 PM
  • Sorry, I don't know how I got jumped to this topic. Ignore that post, it doesn't belong here.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Aug 20, 2010, at 2:57 PM
  • Brooks' study is highly innacurate.

What we can learn from his study? People who visit Macy's in San Francisco is less likly to donate than those who shop at Walmart in South Dakota.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Fri, Aug 20, 2010, at 7:20 PM
  • Well, he IS right, you silly goose.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Aug 20, 2010, at 11:17 PM
  • Voyager, One of my older brothers [now with a doctorate] worked in maintenance at the college along with a couple other part time jobs to earn his tuition and expenses.

He recalls humorously about the time he climbed the dome, held on with one hand to change a light bulb, only to find later there was a long pole with a bulb holder for that purpose!

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Aug 21, 2010, at 12:30 AM
  • Old John, its's one of life's most important lessons to do a job first in order to really know how to do it right in the first place.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Aug 21, 2010, at 8:02 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: