Speak Out: A Question

Posted by Lumpy on Tue, Aug 4, 2009, at 6:22 AM:

Do Americans have the right to protect their own property?

Replies (10)

• Absolutely!

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Tue, Aug 4, 2009, at 6:38 AM
  • Yes and no. Americans have many "natural rights" such as the protection of property, the full exercise of which may result in sanctions by the government.

-- Posted by D'oh on Tue, Aug 4, 2009, at 7:51 AM
  • yes!

-- Posted by Turnip on Tue, Aug 4, 2009, at 9:39 AM
  • I would have to agree with BN1401 on this for right now. Eminent domain, national emergancies, etc. What you think you own might not really be yours.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Tue, Aug 4, 2009, at 10:05 AM
  • Don't know if we DO have the right, lumpy ... but believe we probably should have it.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Tue, Aug 4, 2009, at 1:49 PM
  • Why would this be a question?

Missouri Constitution Article I, Section 23

That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned.

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Tue, Aug 4, 2009, at 3:19 PM
  • Grandpa_Sassy,

Read my original post then refer to RSMo 563 for "limitations". As the original post referred to "Americans" it is still a "yes and no" proposition as the laws vary from state to state. As is so often the case, there is a difference between "right" and "ability".

Also refer to sections RSMo 571 as well as 1968 GCA for restrictions on firearms ownership.

-- Posted by D'oh on Tue, Aug 4, 2009, at 4:44 PM
  • **** right we do, and if someone breaks into my home, I will try everything within my power to kill that person. I will fight very hard to survive, someone will be dead when it is over. And if need be I'll do the time. But my familey is the most important thing in the world to me. And "no on will harm you, not while I'm around".

-- Posted by timexx on Tue, Aug 4, 2009, at 4:59 PM
  • Thanks to everyone for the replies. This is a question that I think more of us will be asking ourselves sooner rather than later.

I want someone to define "property" for me. Yes, I am playing devil's advocate, but I am also trying to generate some discussion.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Aug 5, 2009, at 5:48 PM
  • YEP!

-- Posted by vietnamvet on Wed, Aug 5, 2009, at 8:42 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: