Speak Out: Speak Out 10/3/21.

Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 8:34 AM:

Spending problem

The USA has a serious problem. Congress is a reflection of the USA, which everyone understands. The problem is Congress has the USA paying double for spending programs. For example, the current $3.5 trillion economic and social programs proposed by President Biden has huge tax increases proposed. So this will have the USA paying $3.5 trillion for the programs and also paying for the increased taxes "to pay for the spending" which is the double whammy. And everyone wonders why the USA has a $30 trillion dollar national debt. This is why.

Afghanistan politics

Most of y'all didn't care one bit about Afghanistan until it suddenly fit your political narrative. If you're that opportunistic then you're just as sad as our politicians.

Replies (40)

Spending problem: Very true caller! BTW, Turnip Brain Biden said that the $3.5 trillion proposals won't cost a CENT - WOW, now what would the news media had said if Trump made that non-smart (google friendly) statement....nothing but crickets from the news media - just the Conservative outlets reported this.

Afghanistan politics: Leave American citizens behind as hostages in a Terrorist Country along with $83 billion of Usable military equipment was Turnip Brain Biden and his Woke Gen. Milley withdrawal fiasco.

And that's the way it should be according to Schaefer's World....Sunday, October 3, 2021.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 8:34 AM

Re: Afghanistan politics

Possibly people didn’t think much of Afghanistan, but when a Fumbling, Bungling President embarrasses the United States with his incompetence we are going to sit up and take notice.

Quit trying to defend the undefendable.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 9:50 AM

Donald Trump claimed that he did more for religion than anyone else while he was president. Key words while he was President!

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 10:15 AM

As an aside and distraction from the typical noises - friendly reminder - time to change the batteries in the smoke detectors, and to consider replacing the whole unit if 10 years old or older (I Sharpie or Dymo-tape the install dates here). While the best house fire is the one that never happened, consider a runner-up finish as being able to talk about one afterwards.

Going one step beyond here, and just changing all the disposable batteries around the place - programmable thermostat, TV & HiFi remotes, wireless weather stations, car key fobs, low-cost wall clocks, etc - makes for close to 40 batteries changed-out, but done-and-done. Gitter dun once a year, good-to-go in most cases for another year, and made easy in this electronics age with the annual calendar reminders popping up.

One further suggestion - clean out the dryer vent line and also wash/rinse off the lint screen to dissolve any fabric sheet residue build-up. Amazing how much crud comes out of the vent line, even when done annually, and if the water pools at all when rinsing off the lint screen - it's also restricting airflow. Yeah, more of that fire prevention stuff for the long-term, but enjoy the weekly benefit of the noticeably shorter drying times.

We now return to our regular programming... :-)~

-- Posted by fxpwt on Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 10:37 AM
  • Trutle?

-- Posted by DA Braswell on Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 1:21 PM
  • Spending problem?

How about extending the DOD 2022 budget of 769 billion out for 10 years.

Excluding budget increases that's about $7.7 trillion.

No one will scrimp on defense, but expressing it as a 10 year package helps put other things into perspective.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 2:18 PM

No one will scrimp on defense, but expressing it as a 10 year package helps put other things into perspective.

Now Lettau: Did your little buddies at the DNC come up with that or did your neighbor's kid? Never mind, Turnip Brain Biden said that the $3.5 trillion packages won't cost a "Cent" - wow, now that's an economic/math genius!!

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 2:26 PM

Fxpwt, I replace all of my smoke detectors not just the battery lol. And the co2 also. TRUTLE, glad you're alive heehee

-- Posted by dbennett on Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 2:41 PM

Sometimes I think that dryer lint screen and vent are where those missing shocks disappear to . Ever notice for every missing sock there is an extra lid to an empty butter tub ?

-- Posted by Diseased. .Trutle on Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 10:45 AM

Rick, I have quite a few half pairs of socks also. Don't know where they go.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 5:42 PM

-- Posted by dbennett on Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 2:41 PM

My smoke detector batteries are all replaced annually. We purchased and remodeled a Villa in 2018 and I replace all of the smoke detectors at that time. Mine are line voltage with battery backup and they are all wired together. One goes off, they all go off. Makes for quite a bit of racket if you forget to change the batteries on time and one lets you know about it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 5:48 PM

Spending problem?

How about extending the DOD 2022 budget of 769 billion out for 10 years.

Excluding budget increases that's about $7.7 trillion.

Sure does put things into perspective. Extend out all of Bidens's and the Democrats wanted giveaways and vote buying to those who will not work for 10 years and you will see how little we spend on defense compared to supporting deadbeats.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 5:53 PM

Looks like Democratic Senators Kyrsten Sinema and Joe Manchin have seen the light of the spend spend Democrats Pelosi, Schumer, and Turnip Brain Biden and just might have the good of America on their minds by objecting to the $3.5 pork loaded budget proposal.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 6:24 PM

Rick a friend of mine's Father was featured in a local paper as having been deceased as he had had a very serious operation and was not expected to live. In reality he made it another 30 or so years. Said local paper passed on before he did.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 10:05 PM

That would be a bit scary to see your own self in the obits. Wheels, I have 2 hardwired into my alarm system the other six are just battery operated. Had one of the hardwired ones in the kitchen area years ago and my dad figured out really quickly every time he burnt toast the alarm company would call. Trutle i now have to count my leftover lids vs missing socks. Btw, I'm calling you Trutle forever now.

-- Posted by dbennett on Mon, Oct 4, 2021, at 4:53 AM

Didn't like the results of the rained out game yesterday at St. Louis but on to Wednesday's game. Time for the Cards to bring out those hitting bats and hopefully the "Young" Adam Wainwright will be at the top of his form!

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Mon, Oct 4, 2021, at 7:23 AM

Good luck to you both on the Cards. Not a baseball watcher since high school but they'd be my pick! Have a co-worker who is a Cubs fan so everytime they lose a game I send him a screenshot of the score. 😁

-- Posted by dbennett on Mon, Oct 4, 2021, at 6:13 PM

Trutle I literally never picked up on the true meaning of thst song in your link.

-- Posted by dbennett on Mon, Oct 4, 2021, at 6:15 PM

I'm stealing that expression.

-- Posted by dbennett on Tue, Oct 5, 2021, at 4:52 AM

-- Posted by Diseased. ..Turtle on Fri, Oct 8, 2021, at 12:25 PM

Don't got an electric vehicle, but I'll take a swing, be it right, wrong, or otherwise. :-) Hopefully someone with real-world electric vehicle experience will chime in to correct and / or add.

1) Garage charging - figure most cars have built-in 110V charging capability using an extension cord or similar, although the charge times may have to be measured with a calendar. Also figure one can add a 240V charger for shorter times such as overnight with time to spare, guessing it'd take a 40-50A circuit - which means costs of the charger, getting 240V to the garage, and maybe upsizing the incoming utility feed and home service panel, especially if the home is all-electric.

2) Paying about $0.15 per KWH here on Ameren's summer rate, including all meter fees, taxes, green initiatives, etc. Guessing the winter rate will come in about $0.10-$0.11. At any rate, seems that many vehicle efficiencies come in at 0.3 KWH per mile, so if one drove 100 miles, would need about 30 KWH plus a little extra for charger inefficiency, so WAGging about $4.50 per 100 miles. Note that Ameren's charging station in front of Schnucks is billed in the $0.25 per KWH range, but offers the really fast-rate charging ability.

3) Coal - yep, sort of. Charging stations get their power off the utility grid, so it would be whatever that utility's generation portfolio make-up is, by their respective percentages - nuclear, coal, natural gas, solar, wind, hydro. Some extreme people are planning to put solar panels on their house to be able to charge their cars - interested to see how that turns out. Side note, with the current pressures on natural gas prices, and given the now-large percentage of natural-gas fueled electric generation - how long you figure until another rate increase proposal comes along? :-)~

4) Fossil fuel - A gasoline engine is about 20-30 percent efficient with its fuel. A coal power plant runs about 35-38 percent efficiency. A natural-gas power plant can operate at 50-60 percent efficiency. Fossil fuel all the way around, but suggest a 500-800 megawatt power plant beats the ~200 KW (~270hp) vehicle engines on economies of scale.

5) On highway charging, would figure an hour or better with current battery technologies and charger sizes.

6) Haven't seen much on charging incidents, would hope there is some kind of ground-fault detection that interrupts the electric if it senses an imbalance.

7) No idea about Mars rovers - maybe solar panels, possibly some kind of mini-nuclear thing, but whatever their solution, figure they ain't worried about mass casualties should the thing have a spectacular come-apart. :-)

-- Posted by fxpwt on Fri, Oct 8, 2021, at 3:51 PM

Think I'll just keep driving our 40 mpg highway gas car.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Oct 8, 2021, at 4:43 PM

I think I will just keep my old Buick. It runs good, looks decent and would get decent mileage if my size 5 foot weren't so heavy. Plus it is paid for. Everyone makes fun of my "granny car" until they ride in it. My son calls it a floating couch lol.

-- Posted by dbennett on Sat, Oct 9, 2021, at 5:24 AM

My question on the electric cars is how will they do on longer trips through the hills? Will they run out of juice? Also they are terribly expensive. Hoping Biden doesn't try to force us all to electric. I have hard he wants to but that may not be accurate.

-- Posted by dbennett on Sun, Oct 10, 2021, at 10:27 AM

The City of St. Charles installed charging stations with no payment required in a city garage a couple of years back. I thought about requesting a QT credit card for the station down the way but never got around to it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Oct 10, 2021, at 11:16 AM

Folks will sure be learning how to ride horses again , they don't need a charging station , just some grass and creek water .

-- Posted by Diseased. ..Turtle on Sun, Oct 10, 2021, at 2:10 PM

Rick, I certainly hope not. Growing up on the farm we had mules. I have rode those sweaty cantankerous beasts to and from the fields more times than I can count. If I never have to sit astride one of those four legged beasts again, it will be way too soon for me.

Maybe I have said this before, but the only thing I find humorous about them was the time my Dad plowed Mom's garden with the best working but most skittish mule he owned, with a one horse plow. The work was finished and as he was leaving through the yard, holding the plow up with one hand and steering the mule with the lines in the other. The plow touched a paper bag which one of us kids had left in the yard. Alarmed the mule jumped Jerking the plow and lines out of Dad's hands. Being a smart mule, she recognized her mistake immediately and did what she thought best and headed for the barn with the plow still attached. She cleared the yard fence which was farm grade woven wire, but the plow did not make it and hooked in the top of rhe fence breaking every post off to the corner. Needless to say, Dad was not happy! When he finally caught the mule, came the hell to pay time according to Mom. I missed the whole show as I was in school larning the 3 r's, readen, riten and rithmetic. I probably could have learned some new words by staying home that day. Bet that mule wished she could have said how sorry she was for that little trick. I came home and wondered why the temporary on the yard fence and those little furrows about 6 or 8 feet long then a skipped space when the plow went air borne trying to keep up with the mule all over the horse lot.. That happened some 70 years ago but I can still visualize it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Oct 10, 2021, at 3:29 PM

They are only docile and obedient when someone stronger willed than they are takes control. My Dad could saddle the gray one and put her into a full gallop that would make her look like a Kentucky derby contestant. With me she would trot stiff legged and cause your teeth to rattle. Don't want a horse either. They look too much like a mule.

No four legged critters for me, I would sooner walk while I still can.

REA moved a pole on the farm for some reason and left an anchor sticking out of the ground. Dad tried pulling it with the mules but it wouldn't budge, Finally got a shovel and hack saw below grade. My guess is that anchor is still down there.

Nope, I am quite content with my gas guzzler air conditioned, all wheel drive as needed, automatic transmission future pile of scrap iron to get me from here to there. I am still working on my 1970's plan when I tired of paying interest to the finance companies, so when I got the current scrap iron paid off I made payments to myself and drove the current pile of scrap until I had the cash to replace it. Been doing it ever since and guess what, you can drive a better car for less money. And for danged sure, never trade a car in that still has payments due on it. And I never buy a new car. I buy a 1 year old car and let someone else take the initial loss.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Oct 10, 2021, at 4:22 PM

Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Oct 10, 2021, at 3:29 PM

Now that's a memory not to be forgotten LOL. Did the mule live long after that incident?

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Oct 10, 2021, at 5:27 PM

I read once that percentage-wise more folks died/injured from horseback riding back in the pre-car days than killed in automobiles today!

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Oct 10, 2021, at 5:36 PM

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Sun, Oct 10, 2021, at 5:27 PM

Semo471, the mule die a natural death as I know it. She was still around when I left to live on my own.

The mule was an asset and needed, so she lived on a few smacks wiser I suspect. I was not there when Justice was carried out, but as I understand it, was carried out a few minutes after the fence jumping incident happened.

Back in that day, you had to work at it to find anything to be amused by. But I was taught a work ethic and a word to the wise, that I remember to this day.... Be the best of whatever you are.

Something to strive for, not always successful, but at least give it your best effort.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Oct 10, 2021, at 6:44 PM

I had a little buckskin mare, half horse-half pony over 30 years ago. Gentle as a lamb but barn spoiled bad. Once I got her away from the house she was the best trail horse I have ever seen. Could take me almost at a run through woods, never low limb me, never a misstep. But try to ride her around the farm. Nope. Had a cousin's gelding try to roll with me on his back. He bucked me off once too. Somehow with my teenage agility I landed on my feet. Haven't been on a horse since I was about 20. Would love to ride but I need the horse the 2 year olds ride.

-- Posted by dbennett on Mon, Oct 11, 2021, at 4:42 AM

Wheels, do you have an electric car?

-- Posted by dbennett on Mon, Oct 11, 2021, at 4:52 AM

-- Posted by dbennett on Sun, Oct 10, 2021, at 10:27 AM

Eh, thinkin' electric cars are the coming thing for a whole buncha reasons, but IMO, not quite ready for generally-accepted prime time...yet.

Still seem to command a good premium price for them, although tax credits may offset some or all of that.

Suggest lead-footing or non-level terrains or blasting the A/C or heat or the trendy aftermarket thumpty-dumpty sound system, etc. will decrease their published ranges a fair amount, suppose one could push them until they run out of electrons or safety-stop for low charge.

Brings up an interesting dilemma - will AAA or such service companies be mounting chargers on their service vehicles to be able to transfer a few KWH, much like their current service to bring a couple gallons of fuel for their stranded members?

Or, are the electric vehicles set up such that one could just hook up and drag them down the road a ways to let the electric braking recharge things? :-)~

Figure these vehicles currently would best suit folks with mostly around town driving within a single charging range, where one could recharge overnight. Needing to 'fill-up' during the day would seem to be a deal-breaker for the time required. Then comes the challenge similar to cell phones, remembering to plug the doggone thing in for tomorrow.

Thinkin' the new postal vehicles are mandated to come with a certain percentage as electric - so the fed push is definitely on.

Trying to keep up with developments, as these EV's would seem to fit my current driving habits well - but not amp'ed up enough (ar, ar, ar) to take the plunge...yet!

-- Posted by fxpwt on Mon, Oct 11, 2021, at 8:42 AM

Wheels, do you have an electric car?

-- Posted by dbennett on Mon, Oct 11, 2021, at 4:52 AM

No, but maybe after I buy my next mule to ride.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Oct 11, 2021, at 9:29 AM

With things being what they are, I'm getting about three weeks to the gallon with my V8 gas guzzler as it is. Would do better if these kids wouldn't keep pulling up next to me in the left lane and then try to take the right lane away from me before the next light.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Oct 11, 2021, at 9:40 AM

Turtle I read an article about those. Guess we will find out...

-- Posted by dbennett on Mon, Oct 11, 2021, at 1:41 PM

- Posted by Diseased. ..Turtle on Tue, Oct 12, 2021, at 10:28 AM

Take Biden's pen away from him before he has all of us freezing in the dark!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Oct 13, 2021, at 10:18 AM

- Posted by Diseased. ..Turtle on Wed, Oct 13, 2021, at 6:34 AM

I see this as selling some more Socialism. I wasn't particularly fond of work either,but knew if I didn't my family would suffer. And I am not fond of still paying taxes to support those who will not work.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Oct 13, 2021, at 10:34 AM

- Posted by Diseased. ..Turtle on Wed, Oct 13, 2021, at 11:07 AM

It is time io invoke the rule this country was founded on.

If you are able bodied you either work or you don't eat!

To hell with welfare for these folks.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Oct 13, 2021, at 11:14 AM

Yes, and they will get worse if Biden keeps wanting to send money so people will sit at home and draw unemployment with a thousand or so bonus added to it from time to time.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Oct 13, 2021, at 4:24 PM

Posted by Diseased. ..Turtle on Wed, Oct 13, 2021, at 6:35 PM

Rick, I am not excusing anyone for the money giveaways, but unemployment should be at near ,ero when jobs go begging. I am all for letting able bodied people who refuse jobs go hungry. People say, but the poor children. Remove them from the homes on child abuse charges and teach them to work if they are over 7 years old. My Dad made me work at that age and I thank him for it, even if he isn't with us any longer.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Oct 13, 2021, at 6:44 PM

"If you are able bodied you either work or you don't eat!" -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Oct 13, 2021, at 11:14 AM

Whole-heartedly agree, at least towards an effort that those receiving unearned government aid have to 'work' as hard at getting it, as did those who provided it.

At least get the government to view unearned aid like union negotiations - don't give up nothin' without getting something of equal or greater value back...required blood donations, organ donations, first in line for any draft or other required government selective services, etc...

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, Oct 13, 2021, at 7:12 PM

Respond to this thread