Speak Out: Speak Out 9/16/21

Posted by Schaefer's World on Mon, Sep 20, 2021, at 7:51 AM:

Vaccine analogy

It's your right to eat undercooked chicken. It's not a business' right to serve you that undercooked chicken. If you don't understand how that analogy applies to the federal vaccine mandate then you should sit in the woods waiting for a tree to fall so you can blame some conspiracy theory on why it made a sound.

Birds and butterflies

Has anyone but me noticed a huge decline in the bird and butterfly population? I have an organic backyard with all kinds of food, water and shelter. I haven't had any birds or butterflies all summer.

No mandate

To the person who said that the side effects of COVID-19 was a good reason to take the vaccine, many people who are healthy and have a strong immune system choose not to take it for their own personal reasons. Cigarettes, alcohol and overeating have side effects that can cause serious health problems. If you are vaccinated you should be safe, but some people have weighed the risk and choose not to take the vaccine. Our politicians shouldn't be forcing Americans to make personal health decisions. I'm not against vaccines, but I'm against being forced to make any medical decisions especially when our government is letting millions of untested and unvaccinated illegal immigrants to cross our border and busing them to every state in our country. Every day we make choices that effect our health, we have to weigh the risk and make decisions that we think is best for ourselves.

Replies (24)

Vaccine analogy: What happened to those Liberal buzz words - My Body My Choice....if you and your doctor agree then get the vaccines - it's that simple....government has no business in your private decision making with your doctor!

Birds and butterflies: Blame it on Trump or climate change.

No mandate: Well said caller. Why doesn't Turnip Brain Biden vaccinate the Illegals while they are corraled up in federal holding sites? Oh, it's only Americans that have to do what the Dictator-In-Chief says....BTW, did anyone see the highlights of the Met Gala or the Emmys - the "beautiful people" were all maskless? Where is Dr. Doom preaching his Super Spreaders statements - oh, they were mostly Democrats - never mind.

And that's the way it should be according to Schaefer's World....Monday, September 20, 2021.

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Mon, Sep 20, 2021, at 8:05 AM

Vaccines...it's still a choice to recieve or not receive. Just don't complain either way, this whole thing is past getting old.

Not only birds and butterflies, but I have a ton of acorns for squirrels, where are the squirrels?

Mandate?...when you force any animal to do something, and potentially take things away because they won't do it, the ones doing the forcing, their world is going to change drastically, trust me.

-- Posted by Murphy Law on Fri, Sep 24, 2021, at 12:33 PM

No mandate...the hourly meltdowns continue

-- Posted by Diseased. . Turtle on Fri, Sep 24, 2021, at 4:19 PM

At this juncture, I think anyone who wants the vaccine has gotten or will get one. It seems to me the president's mandate is quite overreaching (as is 99% of all government, both parties). I chose to take the vaccine for my own reasons. But I won't tell someone else they have to. If someone asks questions about my personal experience, I answer them. But I do not tell people they should or should not get a shot. That's not my place. I tell them they should instead speak to their healthcare provider. Certainly I did not like the unsolicited advice I got during my bout of cancer, therefore; I understand.

-- Posted by dbennett on Sat, Sep 25, 2021, at 5:33 AM

Ms Deanna, I agree with your opinion on the shot. Due to reasons of health considerations my wife's Oncologist insisted on her getting the booster shot and it has been done maybe two weeks ago. Still waiting for mine.

By the way, did you drive east or west on I 70 through St Peters about 1:00 am this morning? We had a bit of rain starting about that time. I awoke to hearing it hitting our bedroom window. I immediately thought of you and your powers. I had awakened not too much earlier on the couch with the TV blaring and went to bed.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 25, 2021, at 7:59 PM

Sorry, not me lol. At 1am I was completely oblivious to the world. You'd have gotten more rain if it were me. It's kind of a catch 22 here. Need it dry to harvest corn but not so dry the late beans die. I hope your wife is doing ok. I cannot take the booster until one is approved by Moderna and I am eligible. The criteria seems fuzzy on the eligibility.

-- Posted by dbennett on Sun, Sep 26, 2021, at 6:36 AM

Did get my flu shot yesterday so I am kind of blah but it will be gone by this evening or tomorrow.

-- Posted by dbennett on Sun, Sep 26, 2021, at 6:37 AM

What are the odds the flu and COVID vaccines will be in the same shot next year . I could be mixfused again but I think some type of the flu is an ingredient of the COVID .

Wouldn't life be nice if folks weren't such busy bodies and minded their own business ?

-- Posted by Diseased. . Turtle on Sun, Sep 26, 2021, at 7:37 AM

-- Posted by dbennett on Sun, Sep 26, 2021, at 6:36 AM

Ms Deanna, thank you for your concern for wife. Been a long three years but is holding her own. We are with Phiser on the shots. When we received first shots they said it would be Phiser or Modurna, and not sure of which. I have no idea of the timing for me, but the BJC system here, who wife's doctors are with were giving booster shots to those with compromised immune systems a couple of weeks ago already. Mine are SSM and meet and exceed the 65 year age who need them first. I have heard nothing from SSM where I received initial shots.

I was done fairly early but have heard nothing regarding the booster. Nobody hates shots worse than I do, but I would just like to get it over with.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Sep 26, 2021, at 11:55 AM

Ms Deanna, regarding farming and the weather. Quite familiar with it growing up, too warm, too cold, too wet or too dry is what I have heard more times than I can count. A man explained rural living to me one day. He said the farmers all in Church on Sunday morning praying for rain for their crops. Meanwhile the farmers on the other side of the county are all in Church on Sunday morning praying it doesn't rain because they have a Church Picnic that afternoon.

Had a young man come to work for me fresh out of the Navy many years ago. A great guy, lived in a small town and his Dad farmed. He helped him on weekends when he was off work. Then his Dad became too old to farm and the great employee finally quit and moved back on the farm. Some years later I ran across him and asked how he was doing and if he was enjoying farming. His words, "I guess if I had a million dollars, I would farm until it was all gone."

It's a blood disease. Have a brother like that, contracts during the week and farms on a weekend. Needs some place to spend his money I guess. Never contracted the disease myself.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Sep 26, 2021, at 12:59 PM

Ms Deanna, regarding farming and the weather. Quite familiar with it growing up, too warm, too cold, too wet or too dry is what I have heard more times than I can count. A man explained rural living to me one day. He said the farmers all in Church on Sunday morning praying for rain for their crops. Meanwhile the farmers on the other side of the county are all in Church on Sunday morning praying it doesn't rain because they have a Church Picnic that afternoon.

Had a young man come to work for me fresh out of the Navy many years ago. A great guy, lived in a small town and his Dad farmed. He helped him on weekends when he was off work. Then his Dad became too old to farm and the great employee finally quit and moved back on the farm. Some years later I ran across him and asked how he was doing and if he was enjoying farming. His words, "I guess if I had a million dollars, I would farm until it was all gone."

It's a blood disease. Have a brother like that, contracts during the week and farms on a weekend. Needs some place to spend his money I guess. Never contracted the disease myself.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Sep 26, 2021, at 12:59 PM

My family farmed for over 50 years before my father and his 3 brothers quit. In my job I work with farmers every day and I love it. It's a stressful life but also a good one. Nothing like the smell of a fresh plowed field. That said, I do love my office job where I work from 7 to 5 normally with climate control lol. My husband and I got Moderna through the health department over here as it is what they offered.

-- Posted by dbennett on Mon, Sep 27, 2021, at 5:29 AM

Ms Deanna,

The Farmers of America are to be commended. Because of them, we eat very well in this country. My Great Grandfather started farming about 1870 as a young man, as did most of those that married into the family did and I haven't counted but I think most still are either as full timers or some weekenders.

It was not to my liking although I have two, widely separated small farms that I enjoy going to. Closest one, we have a weekend cabin on that we haven't been able to use for about 3 years except for a few couple of hour visits. It is good healthy living, but I do enjoy living with all of the city conveniences also. Kinda nice to put my feet out onto a warm carpeted floor when I wake up and know there are not a variety of animals waiting to be fed and some milked. Nor are there any cockleburrs to be hoed out of the corn rows.

The great employee who went back to farming has already passed on as are too many friends. Got word of another one in the hospital yesterday, serious condition. Depressing.

Hmmm, how did I end up here?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Sep 27, 2021, at 9:11 AM

Awww so sorry to hear about your friends

-- Posted by dbennett on Mon, Sep 27, 2021, at 9:30 AM

Art :

"The Baptism of Christ" painted by Aert De Gelder in 1710 AD

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/12/29/17/3BB38E9D00000578-4073706-image-a-1...

"Annuciation with Saint Emidius" painted by Carlo Crivelli in 1486 AD .

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/12/29/17/3BB38EA900000578-4073706-image-a-1...

"Saint Wolfgang and the Devil" painted by Michael Pacher in

1475 AD .

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/12/29/17/3BB38EAE00000578-4073706-image-a-1...

-- Posted by Diseased. . Turtle on Mon, Sep 27, 2021, at 1:50 PM

Beautiful art. I see a theme in 2 of them. I paint watercolor (not on this level). Which I would say these are oils.

-- Posted by dbennett on Mon, Sep 27, 2021, at 2:20 PM

"Chu'hu-kon" meaning "those who cling together" by the Hopi People , date unknown

https://www.crystalinks.com/storytellertribestars.jpg

-- Posted by Diseased. . Turtle on Mon, Sep 27, 2021, at 3:01 PM

Re: Birds and butterflies -

Seemed like the bird counts around the house were down, judging by the rate of bird feed consumption, but one thing most pleasantly noticed was that the mosquito bites seem to have been almost nil this summer.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Mon, Sep 27, 2021, at 5:03 PM

“Art is in the eye of the beholder, and everyone will have their own interpretation.” ― E.A. Bucchianeri

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Mon, Sep 27, 2021, at 5:50 PM

Speaking of critters

Mo. State Highway Patrol says watch for deer

"They said one deer was hit every 2.4 hours in the state."

https://www.kfvs12.com/2021/09/27/mo-state-highway-patrol-says-watch-deer/

-- Posted by Diseased. . Turtle on Mon, Sep 27, 2021, at 6:09 PM

DT that is a fascinating painting and I wish I knew enough about the culture to know the symbolism.

-- Posted by dbennett on Tue, Sep 28, 2021, at 5:26 AM

Fxpwt. Mosquitos did not seem as bad this year to me either. Which could also be because my pond levee broke and now i have a mudhole. 🙁

-- Posted by dbennett on Tue, Sep 28, 2021, at 5:29 AM

Mosquitos were plentiful around here after dark, some even had headlights so they could find a victim better.

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Tue, Sep 28, 2021, at 10:25 AM

Hahaha. Possibly I just wasn't outside enough. We do have a lot of swallows and bats so that helps

-- Posted by dbennett on Tue, Sep 28, 2021, at 12:26 PM

Respond to this thread