Speak Out: Speak Out 8/27/21

Posted by Schaefer's World on Fri, Aug 27, 2021, at 10:57 AM:

Use tax

I am somewhat suspect on the timing of the use tax and the purpose of it now. Taxpayers have turned down the use tax four times; 1996, 2003, 2014, 2016. This is clearly saying voters do not favor such a tax. Our city leaders should ask the question why they're seeing more online purchasing. The lack of retail stores in Cape is the major reason. We have lost so many retail businesses over the years (Pier 1, Macy's, Talbots, Pendleton, Home Goods). People are driving to Paducah or St. Louis where the stores are present. Shopping online is not necessarily convenient. Not all shipping is free. There are shipping costs, frequently return costs, in addition to the inconvenience of long delivery time. What is very disappointing is my perception that city leaders are using our police and fire departments' loss of personnel as a stimulus to get the use tax passed.

Critical Race Theory

Framing Critical Race Theory as "white shaming" is negative, nonproductive, and perhaps a sign of insecurities, of fear of loss of white status and fear of the rise in status of people of color. Critical Race Theory teaches the history and current practices of racism, of inequality in our country. This type of introspective education is a major tool in continuing our country's movement toward true equality in attitudes and in practices. I feel we have made great strides toward this goal, but the goal has not been reached, with fear by whites, I believe, being the primary obstruction.

False alarms

An ever-growing portion of the public are choosing to invest in their own security cameras and alarms. But now the city is punishing the civic-minded individuals for taking steps to provide their own safety. Yes, false alarms are a costly nuisance to the overworked/understaffed police department. But don't punish everyone for the reckless few of repeat offenders. Registering a system is fine, but charging a yearly fee when people have already invested in a system is ludicrous and may actually dissuade the purchase of a security system. Please reconsider charging homeowners a fee for taking steps to protect their property. Instead, charge a hefty fine for those that are responsible for false alarms. Don't punish the whole for infractions of the few.

70% marker

Aug. 2, 2021, is a day that needs to always be remembered. On that day the United States finally reached the goal of 70% of adults having finally taken at least one shot of the COVID-19 vaccine. It is a day that in a lot of ways rivals D-Day in national and historical importance.

Replies (6)

Use tax: What exactly is a "Use" that they are trying to tax? I Use many things doing the day!

Critical Race Theory: We all have the same guaranteed Freedoms via the Constitution and Amendments - so what's the issue!

False alarms: If it's a false alarm then the person has to pay a fee for taking the police away from more pressing issues.

70% marker: So what, Covid cases are happening to those who took the shot as well as the unvaccinated. Now the CDC is saying a booster shot is needed to cover up their early misjudgments.

And that's the way it should be according to Schaefer's World....Friday, August 27, 2021.

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Fri, Aug 27, 2021, at 11:12 AM
  • Use tax...what is the real use of a tax out of a cloud ? Fool me once , shame on you , fool me twice , shame on me .

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

~~ William Shakespeare'

Critical Race Theory...what lesson is this teaching bi-racial families ? It's nothing but more politically correct lingo being forced down American's throats . A legal way to scream "Racist!" , "People are Racist against black People and here's how to do it!" . Enough already , let Americans be Americans . There is only one race , the human race.

70% marker...you got too much time on your hands . How about something really important like on this day in 1918 the Spanish flu arrives in Boston , the beginning of the second wave and deadliest wave in the US of A history .

Pirates 11 , Cards 7

-- Posted by DT. on Fri, Aug 27, 2021, at 11:34 AM

"70% marker...you got too much time on your hands . How about something really important like on this day in 1918 the Spanish flu arrives in Boston , the beginning of the second wave and deadliest wave in the US of A history."

Yep we have reached the 70% marker and the new version is coming in with a vengeance.

Wait, all we had to do was elect Biden and it would all be over in a few short months.

What happened?

Surely must be Trump's fault, in some remarkable way.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Aug 27, 2021, at 12:19 PM

You all keep getting more taxes over there and it's going to start looking like Illinois! Hopefully not though, because I want to move over there at some point.

-- Posted by dbennett on Sat, Aug 28, 2021, at 5:56 AM

All Cape citizens who own extra security, are now required to pay a yearly registration fee, despite most being responsible users. It's the chronic misuse of false alarms that supposedly the fee is covering. In actuality, the company that installed the Text 911 system for the entire county, told the city, they could help off-set the cost by charging this fee to alarm-system owners. So a few select people are paying for a service to be utilized by everyone in the county.

-- Posted by UTexmoi on Wed, Sep 8, 2021, at 5:40 PM
  • Put one of those "I've got Security System" signs in your yard.

Or get a recording of a dog barking and play it every few hours .

-- Posted by DT. on Wed, Sep 8, 2021, at 6:43 PM

Respond to this thread