Speak Out: Liquidation sale a joke...

Posted by paige85@live.com on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 1:08 PM:

I spent money on several products such as purses, a toy, and perfume. I love my purses but as pulled the toy out of the box it turns out that he had lied, you need to purchase more accessories to even play it. When I took my perfume out of the box it turns out they had made a bottle very similar to the designer bottle and filled it with some knock off generic perfume.

I guess when I walked through those doors I assumed the city of Cape wouldn't allow products to be sold that would steal our hard earned money, I guess I was wrong.........

Replies (23)

• You get what you pay for.

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 1:18 PM
  • Caveat emptor.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 2:30 PM
  • Getting a purse at a liquidation sale? Classy.

-- Posted by almighty on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 2:44 PM
  • I bought a DVD recorder at the one in the Arena Building last weekend. It was a steal at $59 and works perfectly. I've had success with products bought from other liquidation sales and only had one bad experience so far, but it is a crap shoot!

-- Posted by Data48 on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 3:10 PM
  • The minute hand just fell off my Rolex..

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 3:33 PM
  • Paige,

I've got some beach front property in AZ for sale. Really good price:)

-- Posted by Producer1 on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 4:28 PM
  • I believe one of the sayings I have heard in my earlier life goes like.... "A fool and his money are soon parted."

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 6:29 PM
  • The admission fee is why I did not go to the Home Show.

I also wonder how many "just pay seperate shipping and handling" to get that second item free when S&H equals the price of the item.

If you are in the mood to shop for a real bargin just for the pleasure of getting a bargain, I suggest the local Teen Challenge store. I recently found an American hand made leather belt in excellent shape my size for $3. We donated a $200 pair of new never worn Florshiem shoes. I'm guessing someone got a bargin that came with "Top this! "bargain bragging pleasure.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 11:39 PM
  • Florsheim shoes are now made in India! I know this because that is where my job went after I worked for Florsheim for 21 years.

-- Posted by Hookie98 on Fri, Apr 9, 2010, at 11:12 PM
  • Hookie, Those shoes I mentioned were hand sewn in Cape, custom made for a loved one that was so proud of them he saved them for a special event. Soon after many were imported to be finished here and finally all hand sewing was sent to India.

As I said on another thread, you can now find such American shoes made with American materials and prideful American quality from a few special companies. Be prepared to pay upward to a $1,000 for something to rival the original high end Royal Imperial custom made with exotic leathers.

I had a pair of Royal Imperial wing tips for 20 years, worn the ten years for Sunday best and then for every day. They were still in good shape when I replaced them with then hand sewn slippers.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Apr 9, 2010, at 11:52 PM
  • Old JOhn,

Florshiem shoes were the only dress shoes I wore for years and years. They fit when I put them on my fat EEE feet. Still wearing a pair the few times I wear dress shoes. Since retirement New Balance has taken over, and formal wear is when I have the shoe laces tied.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Apr 9, 2010, at 11:57 PM
  • Old John.... If your shoes were made between 1972 and 1993 it is possible that I did the outsole part as I made all the single pairs(special orders) in the outsole department. The uppers were assembled at the west end plant on Southern Expressway.

-- Posted by Hookie98 on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 10:50 AM
  • Sorry...I made a mistake....Have _Wheels I meant my comment for you...oops!

-- Posted by Hookie98 on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 10:52 AM
  • Hookie,

I don't think I special ordered too often, but may have at times when there were no EEEs in stock. Living in the St. Louis metro area, I was usually lucky enough to find someone who stocked them.

You built great shoes. In a dress shoe, they were the only thing I ever found that felt good when I put them on new. Thanks for being there when I needed you. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 1:42 PM
  • Spank,

You may have helped put the shoes on me also. My feet weren't that big, only 10 1/2 but wide.

Agree on the dark alley. They would probably kick those expensive shoes off and kick you in the head barefooted.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 3:06 PM
  • Spank,

A 14 EEEE blows my mind. That would have to be one big woman. Lot of foot to smell if not washed regularly.

Yeah... save the "c" for another word.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 3:41 PM
  • My feet do NOT stink, Spank! What's wierd, though, is that I wore size 6 shoes for years ... then 6-1/2, and finally up to size 7-1/2. How do feet get bigger?

Remember (I think it was called) 'double-last' or something like that? When we could buy (at least women's) shoes with a different width at the toe than at the heel?

Speaking of feet makes me think of something I told Pops ... that if I'd been smart, should have been sleeping standing on my head the last few decades. Perhaps that would have delayed the pull of gravity (which I guess is why my feet are bigger, and ...)?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 3:50 PM
  • Hookie98/Spank, Was double lasting done in Goodyear dept.?

Formal wear is shoes laced? I thought any shoes in summer was well dressed.

I'm not sure about feet but my waist line is bigger and I weigh the same. Probably came from the top.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 5:56 PM
  • Spank, sure, my feet stink sometimes. It's rare, but it does happen! ☻

gurusmom, I had the same problem. My feet grew after each baby. I use to wear a seven, now I wear a nine. Go figure!

-- Posted by Turnip on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 6:41 PM
  • Yuck, Rick! Guess you could put a clothespin over your nose, though?

Don't think the babies had anything to do with my feet growing, Turnip ... If it had, I'd be wearing about a size 12 or 13 now!

Already said my feet don't stink, Spank. It might be because one of my brothers got all the stink, so there wasn't any left for the rest of us.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 10:42 PM
  • Paige85 wrote:

"I guess when I walked through those doors I assumed the city of Cape wouldn't allow products to be sold that would steal our hard earned money, I guess I was wrong........."

This has actually bothered me ever since Paige posted this. I believe this is indicative of what is wrong with American today: the belief that government has to save us because we are too stupid to make sound decisions on our own. In fact, to believe that government, whether local, state, or federal even has the power to do so is troubling.

How, exactly, is the city government supposed to correct this? They require a license, I beleive, to conduct the sale. Is the city supposed to hire 'experts' to evaluate each and every product offered to ensure that is genuine, fairly-priced, and of sufficient quality? Whose standard for price-fairness and quality are we to use? Are the citizens of Cape Girardeu willing to pay the cost for hiring these 'experts', drafting fairness and quality standards, and policing these events for compliance?

Caveat emptor. "Let the buyer beware."

We have a variety of gun shows in town. Among the items sold are swords, real and fake. The real ones are forged steel, well tempered, and cost hundreds of dollars. The 'fake' ones are usually cast metal with no temporing, brass or silver plate for the decorate parts, with stamping in lieu of engraving. They can frequently be bought for under $100.

Now, if you just want a sword to hang on your wall or to decorate you're Medieval-themed restaurant, the fake ones are fine, and you can buy half a dozen for the cost of one 'real' sword. But, if you want to joust, you really need to drop the extra money and get a 'real' sword.

Keep in mind that probably more than 90% of the swords sold will never see combat even once.

Now, would it really make sense to have the city of Cape Girardeau hire a 'sword expert', draw up 'sword guidelines, have the sellers submit their wares for inspection, and have these experts patrol the gun shows in the event that someone may accidentally buy a 'fake' sword thinking they were getting a 'real' one? Methinks it would be absurd. Let the buyer beware.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Apr 12, 2010, at 10:49 AM
  • Shapley,

Welcome to the Nanny State!

We have been dumbed down over the last several generations so as to become like sheep that are easily lead.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 12, 2010, at 12:09 PM
  • Have_Wheels_Will_Travel wrote:

"We have been dumbed down over the last several generations so as to become like sheep that are easily lead."

Apparently, it's been coming for a long time. Handel wrote, in his 'Messiah' a piece called "O we, like sheep", which is the proper way to write it. P.D.Q. Bach, I believe, called his version "Oh! We like sheep!", but I digress.

There is no doubt that we, as a people, have somehow accepted that the government (at all levels) somehow has the power to protect us from all things, including ourselves. We cannot trust ourselves to make wise decisions, so we need a government to make it for us.

The flaw, which we obviously are too stupid to realize, is that if we can't be trusted to make proper decisions for ourselves, how can we be trusted to decide who should make those decisions for us? Having given them the power to make such decisions, isn't the next logical step for the decision makers to decide amongst themselves who should be the next generation of decision makers?

This would, in their worldview, be the ultimate in freedom since we would be free to live without the burden of deciding things. It may seem kind of convoluted, but it makes perfect sense if you look at it in a Nancy Pelosi kind of way.

Then again, since the decision makers were chosen by those too stupid to choose good decision makers, how can we expect otherwise.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Apr 12, 2010, at 2:27 PM

Respond to this thread