Speak Out: Why do you think the newspaper removed Rudy's article about Jackson's ban on fireworks?

Posted by Red Devil on Tue, Jul 7, 2009, at 11:20 PM:

There were 80 comments already and none of them were threatening bodily harm.

All the comments were passionate about celebrating Independence Day.

These guys made a terribly hasty decision without consulting the electorate and the people deserve a chance to voice their opposition.

If you want people to speak out, then don't cover up peoples chance to be heard by deleting the most talked about news column ever!

You didn't delete any articles about Purcell and Jones, those were available to view for months.

Replies (14)

• The article is back on the front page now so you can delete this thread.

-- Posted by Red Devil on Wed, Jul 8, 2009, at 12:07 AM
  • Everyone needs to thank Phil Penzel for changing his mind and doing the right thing!

-- Posted by Red Devil on Wed, Jul 8, 2009, at 6:31 AM
  • I don't know Phil, but it is a good thing when a politician listens to the people and then makes a decision. If the majority of people want to ban fireworks then fine.

You have to hold your elected leaders feet to the fire on ALL ISSUES not just fireworks. That is how you stop run away politicians from taking away your freedom.

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Wed, Jul 8, 2009, at 6:38 AM
  • AMEN, Meg!

-- Posted by Red Devil on Wed, Jul 8, 2009, at 8:27 AM
  • Red Devil, unfortunately the Missourian is not going to let you off that easy. I'm sure they enjoy 'poking' a lil' fun at us from time to time. ☺

I bet it disappeared b/c of Penzels' claims. He made a comment about being misquoted & the newspaper only printing what sells. I was actually happy to finally see a article about it, your thread was all I could find in regards to the ban all morning yesterday.

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Jul 8, 2009, at 8:51 AM
  • Well Rudi's article was missing from the website last night and that caused this thread.

But it was back on the site about an hour later.

-- Posted by Red Devil on Wed, Jul 8, 2009, at 9:12 AM
  • Red Devil, I was just teasin' you. Last nite when I posted I could not find it either. I have never known the Missourian to completely pull a article. Perhaps you have more influence than you think. ;o)

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Jul 8, 2009, at 10:40 AM
  • I believe the article was removed because it was inaccurate and hastily written. My opinion is that the Editor of this media has lost much of his credibility and certainly the reporter who wrote the article has as well! JMO no disrespect intended.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Wed, Jul 8, 2009, at 7:34 PM
  • Red Devil,

I attempted to respond to you in both of the previous articles, and I'm assuming that commenting has been turned off. Usernames are in place for security reasons, not to hide behind, but since you've asked for it, my name is Katie Roach. Phil Penzel is a public figure everyone knows, who wanted us to know it was really him, so it is nothing for him to use his real name. But since you asked for it, there you go. I do have very strong opinions towards Penzel, and while I can acknowledge that he did apologize, I have had too few apologies from him in the past. That's just my two cents, though I understand how people who have not dealt with him might not see things the way that I do.

There you go. And what might your name be?

-- Posted by katj85 on Wed, Jul 8, 2009, at 11:57 PM
  • Red Devil,

Thanks for your interest in our site.

For future navigation purposes, just because a story "disappears" from the front page does not mean we have pulled it completely.

If you're looking for a local story, you can go to our news tab under "local" and find many more headlines. If that doesn't work, you can e-mail me at bmiller@semissourian.com or Matt at msanders@semissourian.com, and we'd be happy to help you find it. We realize our search tool is not always the best.

We try to keep our front page updated throughout the day. Sometimes that means important stories get pushed off for a period of time.

Thanks again for reading.

Best,

Bob Miller

editor

-- Posted by BobMiller on Thu, Jul 9, 2009, at 7:47 AM
  • Thank you, Bob!

When I couldn't find the story under any of those tabs I was afraid there was some outside pressure on the paper to remove the article.

It was back on the site in an hour or so.

Thanks again for responding.

-- Posted by Red Devil on Thu, Jul 9, 2009, at 11:31 AM
  • Once again any problems or grudges you have are off topic and have nothing to do with this article.

-- Posted by Red Devil on Thu, Jul 9, 2009, at 11:33 AM
  • sorry that last post was to Katie Bug.

-- Posted by Red Devil on Thu, Jul 9, 2009, at 11:34 AM
  • The only reason I mention my past transgressions with Mr. Penzel is because they affect my judgment of him now. If he and I had never crossed paths before, I would be very inclined to accept his apology as everyone else has. However, because I have seen him at work before, they cannot allow me to accept it this time.

I'm sorry if that was not worded better before, but that is very much how I feel on this topic. The reason I posted it here was because none of the other threads were letting me post (so I thought, even though they all showed up this morning...ugh), and I didn't want you to think I was hiding behind a username, even though this got way more out of hand than it should have. You accepted his apology, I didn't. There we go.

-- Posted by katj85 on Thu, Jul 9, 2009, at 11:47 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: