Speak Out: God , Guns & Government

Posted by Rick Scaggs on Fri, Apr 13, 2018, at 7:50 AM:

April 19 will be the 25th Anniversary of the raid on the Branch Davidians Church in Waco, Texas by the USA Government including local Texas Rangers , police officers , members of the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team . Nine Bradley vehicles, an Abrams tank, and a squad of choppers were positioned nearby for additional backup . Nineteen men, 34 women, and 23 children died that day.

The questions remain , do People have the Right to Freedom of Religion in the USA . Are People guaranteed their Right to the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution . And last , is the difference between Religion and a Cult determined by Government and Society .

http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h2045.html

Replies (13)

The questions remain, do People have the Right to Freedom of Religion in the USA. Are People guaranteed their Right to the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution . And last, is the difference between Religion and a Cult determined by Government and Society.Posted by Rick Scaggs on Fri, Apr 13, 2018, at 7:50 AM

Rick: The answer to your first two questions is Yes - as long as it is done legally. Religion and Cult can be the same and both protected unless here again if there is nothing illegally done.

Schaefer's World

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Fri, Apr 13, 2018, at 8:43 AM
  • semo

I guess that's where I'm getting mixedfused , I'm not sure how there can be illegal Rights . I mean , can People have guns or not , can People have personal Faith of their choice or not . And who makes these decisions , the Government , the Constitution , or the Public .

I'm not trying to be a smart *** , I just don't understand .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Fri, Apr 13, 2018, at 9:33 AM

Rick: I try to look at things simply with no filters. IMO, we citizens have the right to own a gun as long as it conforms to current laws . To belong to or not to belong to a Religion is our right as citizens but you can not do unlawful acts as part of your religious beliefs.

Schaefer's World

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Fri, Apr 13, 2018, at 10:21 AM
  • Okay , I can see with guns as in a person can't use them for robbery or murder .

In your opinion , what would be an example of unlawful Personal Religious Faith .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Fri, Apr 13, 2018, at 11:37 AM
  • It seems People , like the Puritans , came to the New World to escape persecution of their beliefs .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Fri, Apr 13, 2018, at 11:39 AM

Rick: Having sex with a minor who is under your control in a religious cult.

Schaefer's World

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Fri, Apr 13, 2018, at 11:40 AM
  • Also , I'm not sure if the Branch Davidians robbed or murdered anyone , if I read the article right , the Government came to take their guns from them .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Fri, Apr 13, 2018, at 11:44 AM
  • Rick: Having sex with a minor who is under your control in a religious cult.

I wonder , is this one Religious belief to be a sin .

I don't endorse it in any way shape or form at all , but could it be one form of belief like those folks who dance with snakes . Maybe it could mean Freedom of Religion as long as that Freedom is allowed by another Religion's belief .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Fri, Apr 13, 2018, at 11:48 AM
  • geeez , I got myself all mixfused again .

I know as fact my Peoples belief was taken away as the Pioneers moved West . The Peoples were expected to convert to Christianity instead of Wak'an Tan'ka .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Fri, Apr 13, 2018, at 11:53 AM
  • The article does say , so I dunno if it was just a Government gun grab or what :

"Former followers told authorities that Koresh beat the children until they were bruised and bleeding. One defector, Marc Breault, had hired detectives to investigate, and when contacted by the ATF, he supplied a number of detailed descriptions of his former associates.

He denounced Koresh, accusing him of child abuse and polygamy. Breault also described numerous minors whom Koresh had subjected to marriage and sex. The youngest was only 12 years old.

State social workers investigated, but could never ascertain clear evidence of the charges."

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Fri, Apr 13, 2018, at 12:23 PM
  • Most of the early European laws were rooted in the commandments given to Moses.

The Jews were to keep those commandments until the Messiah came and redeemed them from their sins, but when he came they rejected him, fulfilling all the scriptures. The Gentiles and anyone that would believe in Christ as risen were released from that covenant and promised redemption through Faith. The laws evolved by decree of kings and conquerors. Recognition of God given rights slowly evolved from the Christian teachings and our founders sought to see all Groups of Christians equal.[There was a time when one colony required office holders to be Christian but would not allow Catholics in office.] It does get complicated when you overthink it but Rights and laws are two different things. The founders never thought the citizens would ever get to the point of stupidity as in challenging the right to smoke a peace pipe with a law against polluting the air.

At least that is part of my opinion from one way of looking at it.

-- Posted by R. W. Bess on Fri, Apr 13, 2018, at 7:58 PM
  • Perhaps the USA has progressed to the point where the Founding Fathers warned about . They created and wrote Laws for Personal Rights such as deep belief in their God , small and non-oppressive Government , and Personal Freedoms .

New Laws and Progressives have slowly , and are still slowly , turning these Personal Rights and Freedoms into privileges that can be given or taken away just as the British Royalty did to them and the original 13 Colonies .

Perhaps God , Guns & Government should once again belong to the Peoples as Personal Rights and Freedoms instead of an oppressive and controlling Federal Government in the District of Columbia .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Sat, Apr 14, 2018, at 9:11 AM

Perhaps God , Guns & Government should once again belong to the Peoples as Personal Rights and Freedoms instead of an oppressive and controlling Federal Government in the District of Columbia .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Sat, Apr 14, 2018, at 9:11 AM

Rick: True....IMO, the SCOTUS has taken some of these Rights away by their Liberal interpretation of the Constitution. BTW, the SCOTUS has given some Rights to those due to society changes good or bad.

Schaefer's World

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Sat, Apr 14, 2018, at 10:20 AM

Respond to this thread