Speak Out: Teacher Nails It!

Posted by Ralph VanGennip on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 12:28 AM:

Finally somebody from the educational field with enough guts to tell it like it is.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/16/florida-teacher-years-gun-violence-post-goe...

Replies (51)

• We tell our kids "don't drink and drive" when there's booze at every gas station .

We tell our kids "say no to drugs" when there are pharmacies at Wal-Mart , Walgreens , Target , and town squares .

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1425705_10202077883529900_53052096...

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 7:48 AM

Wheels: Saw this yesterday on FB....this teacher knows all about the problem but the Left will not listen because it doesn't suit their agenda.

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 8:42 AM
  • I agree wholeheartedly with Kelly Raley, we as a country, need to “…get serious and talk about mental health issues, lack of available care for the mental health issues…” and mental health should go back to being a medical issue, not a police problem.

There is no question that there is an overall “…lack of discipline in the home…” that results in the lack of self-discipline on the playground, in school and in public.

The “…horrendous lack of parental support when the schools are trying to control horrible behavior at school.” is inexcusable. The teachers are right probably 95% or more of the time, and if they’re wrong take it up with the principal and the teacher. Don’t blindly stick up for your kid, until you are certain of all the details.

The “…lack of moral values…” is a societal problem, not only a religious one. You do not have to be religious to have sound, positive and effective moral values.

The sources of “entertainment” in the form of “games,” TV, or movies, prevalent today are questionable to say the least, and “…violent video games that take away all sensitivity to ANY compassion for others’ lives…” are among the most offensive and objectionable.

“Reality TV that makes it commonplace for people to constantly scream up in each others’ faces and not value any other person but themselves…” or any opinion but their own, and anyone daring to disagree gets chastised and degraded, rather than willingly engaging in free and open discussion.

Kelly Raley left her last comment, “…we will have a gun problem in school…” as being conditional on not accomplishing all of her preceding stipulations, but it need not wait. There is no reason for an eighteen year old to freely purchase an assault type weapon and seemingly unlimited amounts of ammunition. It may well be that Florida could be the first state to take action.

Unsubstantiated “threats” to do away with the 2nd amendment only appear in conservative and NRA fear-mongering harangues. No one expects, needs nor even wants that to happen, and it's not going to.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 2:28 PM
  • There is no reason for an eighteen year old to freely purchase an assault type weapon and seemingly unlimited amounts of ammunition. It may well be that Florida could be the first state to take action. -- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 2:28 PM

Looks like your selective memory forgot about the Sandy Hook killings? Terrible that you ignore such things when talking about guns. Did you ignore that intentionally?

The Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza did NOT own a gun. Adam Lanza did NOT purchase a gun. Adam Lanza STOLE a gun, killed his mother and then proceeded to kill 26 others at the school.

So your proposed ban on these weapons will stop that? You must not know much of which you speak (no surprise). A shotgun can be quickly reloaded and used to cause as much or more damage. As well as other forms of rifles and handguns.

The Colorado shooters had propane tanks scattered to inflict more damage throughout the school. Maybe ban propane tanks for BBQ grills? Any other nanny-state suggestions you have?

-- Posted by Doug Williams 4/24 on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 4:22 PM

There is no reason for an eighteen year old to freely purchase an assault type weapon and seemingly unlimited amounts of ammunition. It may well be that Florida could be the first state to take action. -- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 2:28 PM

Common: Is not an 18 year old able to vote....is not an 18 year old able to serve in the military, then why can't an 18 able to buy any legal type of gun providing they clear the background check - thought that the Liberal Democrats were all about individual freedoms - right?

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 4:32 PM
  • Regarding games and/or violent TV , who allows kids access or choice to have activity with these things ? Not society . Not Hollywood . Not the Schools . Their parents do . So parents , get off TV crying about guns and Laws and safety and go see what your very own kid is doing or watching .

A society can function and be just fine without any organized Religion whether it be Christian , Muslim , Buddha , Hindu , etc...just me , saying a Society's mounting problems are due to a "God less Society" is a cop out , or , it's everybody else problem , I'm not included ..

It's "We the People" , not "Them the Society"...

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 4:35 PM
  • If an 18 year old can enlist in the Armed Forces and fight for their country , they can purchase any type of weapon they qualify for the same as anyone else .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 4:37 PM
  • -- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 4:43 PM
  • "...then why can't an 18 able to buy any legal type of gun providing they clear the background check..."

Because they have no need for one, no more than anyone having a need for, and being allowed to buy the fully automatic version, but that's possibly just inserting too much logic into the discussion.

It appears that we will have to await more massacres before anything sensible is done.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 4:46 PM
  • Because they have no need for one -- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 4:46 PM

And there you have it! Commie Lettau says that 18 year olds don't need an AR-15.

Such arrogance is telling and revealing why you support executive orders and totalitarian rules from your god Obama. Obama is smarter than anyone else so his record executive dictates must be good for everyone and forced.

As the layers of the Lettau onion get pealed away it gets ugly. And scary. Hitler would have loved you.

===

And for the record, the 2nd amendment has NOTHING to do with "hunting" or defending against burglars. Get educated.

-- Posted by Doug Williams 4/24 on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 4:59 PM

being allowed to buy the fully automatic version, but that's possibly just inserting too much logic into the discussion.

It appears that we will have to await more massacres before anything sensible is done.

Common: Guess you don't know that the AR-15 legally sold today are not "fully automatic"....glad to have straightened you out once again.

Schaefer's World

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 5:36 PM

I bought my first gun when I was in the 7th grade, from a private individual and in a public place with all kinds of people around. Nobody ran for cover, screamed or hid in fright. Most never gave our big deal a 2nd glance. Cost me $5 and I still have it. My parents approved of it and they further controlled where and when I could use it. Didn't need government to control the gun or me. Parents did and I thank them to this day.

PS: I have never pointed it at another human being, let alone killed someone with it.

The Teacher was correct without the added in gun control preaching by Ulrich.

-- Posted by Ralph VanGennip on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 5:44 PM

Common: Guess you don't know that the AR-15 legally sold today are not "fully automatic"....glad to have straightened you out once again.

Schaefer's World

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 5:36 PM

Hmmmmm! And Ulrich spent 20 plus years in the military and he doesn't know the difference between an automatic and a semi-automatic weapon. Sounds like what I have been thinking all along.... he was a desk jockey with a nice comfy office.

He certainly doesn't understand that the rules forbid fully automatics for sale to the public.

-- Posted by Ralph VanGennip on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 5:49 PM

Can anyone tell me when the absolute worst school massacre took place. Without googling please.

-- Posted by Ralph VanGennip on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 6:27 PM
  • Bath , Michigan...1927 ?

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 6:45 PM

Yep, I read that somewhere last week and forget where.... did you post it last week?

-- Posted by Ralph VanGennip on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 6:49 PM

Wheels: What did Rick win?

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 6:55 PM
  • "...difference between an automatic and a semi-automatic weapon."

Again Mr. VanGennip, you seem to be intentionally acting the part of the dunce. Why would you think that I don't know the difference? And as usual you're wrong about the assignments too.

The point was very simple. If Americans don't need fully automatic weapons, why do they need semi-automatic weapons.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 7:00 PM

Wheels: What did Rick win?

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 6:55 PM

Hmmmm. Never thought about it Semo41. I will work on it.

-- Posted by Ralph VanGennip on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 7:25 PM

Again Mr. VanGennip, you seem to be intentionally acting the part of the dunce. Why would you think that I don't know the difference? And as usual you're wrong about the assignments too.

The point was very simple. If Americans don't need fully automatic weapons, why do they need semi-automatic weapons.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 7:00 PM

"Why would you think that I don't know the difference?"

Ulrich, did you post the word salad below? I thought so.... case closed, you demonstrated you didn't know the difference.

"...then why can't an 18 able to buy any legal type of gun providing they clear the background check..."

Because they have no need for one, no more than anyone having a need for, and being allowed to buy the fully automatic version, but that's possibly just inserting too much logic into the discussion.

And then there is this.....

"The point was very simple. If Americans don't need fully automatic weapons, why do they need semi-automatic weapons"

Why don't you ask the deer hunters, duck hunters etc. etc. find a couple and ask them. Your dumb questions reflect on you.

"And as usual you're wrong about the assignments too."

I don't thinks so, maybe I'll have to check it out for myself.

-- Posted by Ralph VanGennip on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 7:41 PM

Wheels: That info will be in the military service records and I know you are familiar with it.

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 7:47 PM
  • Automatic weapons are used to hunt feral hogs . They are spreading north from Texas . ..fast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubt19wLNcKM

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 8:21 PM
  • It appears that we will have to await more massacres before anything sensible is done.

The worse USA School massacre was using a bomb over taxes .

Outlaw guns all you want , if People want them they will find them , just like anything else ...drugs , blasting fertilizer , whatever ..How did Prohibition work out ?

Odd how there are no school shooting massacres inside major City limits , they're always out in the suburbs . Why is this , maybe because everybody carries inside the City and everybody knows too , no ?

It's not a weapon problem , it's a People problem ....

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 8:32 PM
  • I stand behind you in line at the store with a smile on my face...and a gun under my shirt and you are none the wiser , yet you are safer for having me next to you...I won't shoot you . My gun won't pull it's own trigger , it is securely holstered with the trigger covered , it can't just go off . However , rest assured that if a lunatic walks into the grocery store and pulls out a rifle , I will draw my pistol and protect myself and my family and therefore protect you and your family . I may get shot before I can pull the trigger...but , I won't die in a helpless blubbering heap on the floor begging for my life or my child's life . I won't be that victim . I choose not to be . As for you , I don't ask you to carry a gun . If you are not comfortable , then please don't. But I would like to keep my right to choose to not be a helpless victim . There is evil in the world and if evil has a gun , I want one too...

~~ Anonymous

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 8:50 PM
  • "...deer hunters, duck hunters, etc..."

I tried Mr. VanGennip, couldn't find any duck hunters that needed an AR-15, maybe you can introduce me to one. You must be going for a "double dunce" record.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 8:56 PM
  • Seems like some think we don't need organized religion to be a safe society. I agree.

However the progressive liberal agenda that has some merit in righting some basic wrongs more importantly has done tremendous damage to the basic tenants of our country's basic strength. That strength is a family with a father and mother rearing children in traditional roles set forth in Biblical teaching.

The progressive ideas sold as policy to end poverty have failed and hastened the demise of the two parent family. Sadly within the two parent family is the tendency to more and more trust government to know what is best in rearing children.

Too many now days use schools as a baby sitting service with less and less involvement in their children's direction

-- Posted by R. W. Bess on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 9:05 PM
  • R. W. Bess

Respectfully , I agree with some and some not .

Teachers and school are not professional baby sitters , they are educators . Parents should know and raise their children , not the school and definitely not any type of Government -- relying on Government and Entitlements in trust to raise your child is equal to modern slavery in my opinion .

I disagree with the basic Biblical tenet as not all Americans are Christian , each and every Person are free to their own faith , or Freedom of Religion . Everyone are free to worship the God of their choosing , some choose to have none .

A two parent family could be the ideal situation but as they say , whoever said life is fair , lied . Sudden death of a parent can change this , my father went back to the other side in a car wreck when we were just little kids . Soldiers die ...

The War on Poverty has been lost just the same as the War on Drugs has been lost . The best way to help the poor is not to become one , as Michael Jordan says , "If you got time to lean , you got time to clean." When People can get as much benefits from Entitlements as they can working , poverty will not cease , it will be a way of life in the USA .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 9:57 PM

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 7:47 PM

Semo471

I will put that one aside for a rainy day project.

-- Posted by Ralph VanGennip on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 10:01 PM

I tried Mr. VanGennip, couldn't find any duck hunters that needed an AR-15, maybe you can introduce me to one. You must be going for a "double dunce" record.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 8:56 PM

You said automatic and semiautomatic weapons Lettau, you did not specify type and if you simply ban semi-automatic weapons dear boy it will cover every semi automatic period. Shotguns, 30-06 and on and on.

So instead of being a smartarse why not pay attention to what you are saying and be specific. We don't go on approximates here Ulrich, we know what lying, crooked sneaks you Leftists are.

-- Posted by Ralph VanGennip on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 10:12 PM

"When People can get as much benefits from Entitlements as they can working , poverty will not cease , it will be a way of life in the USA ."

And right there is a large part of our problem. Hand ups have become hand outs and a way of life. If you give a man everything he desires, he will loose his will to provide for himself.

-- Posted by Ralph VanGennip on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 10:17 PM
  • Rick, The old western movies I've watched depict the native people recognizing one Great Spirit. Mankind has always suffered when other gods are invented.

Overall, as far as politics I think we agree.

-- Posted by R. W. Bess on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 10:28 PM
  • What a whiner...

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 10:32 PM
  • What a whiner...

What if anything does that mean?

-- Posted by R. W. Bess on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 10:36 PM

What a whiner...

Common: Were you looking at a mirror when you said that....poor little ole Snowflake.

Schaefer's World

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Tue, Feb 20, 2018, at 7:24 AM
  • Rick, The old western movies I've watched depict the native people recognizing one Great Spirit. Mankind has always suffered when other gods are invented.

Overall, as far as politics I think we agree.

-- Posted by R. W. Bess on Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 10:28 PM

Sadly enough , I've seen these too . There is always the Happy Hunting Ground and Pow Wow's too , but hey , that's Hollywood for you , what's a person to do ?

The ancient Hopi have sacred tablets wrote by Masauwu , Kachina , and Pahana . The Mayan God was Kinich Ahau , the Sun or Snake God . We look to Wak'n Tȟáŋ'ka , many Spirits in one , sometimes known as the Star People . All of our Societies survived until the invaders of the Old World .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Tue, Feb 20, 2018, at 7:25 AM
  • -- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Tue, Feb 20, 2018, at 7:25 AM
  • Didn't some People flee the Old World to the New World to escape Religious persecution .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Tue, Feb 20, 2018, at 7:31 AM
  • -- Posted by David Schaefer on Tue, Feb 20, 2018, at 7:56 AM
  • God from Heaven ? Everyone has their beliefs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKWnjpsrdmY

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Tue, Feb 20, 2018, at 9:17 AM
  • It's a People problem...

Jackson Local Schools on lockdown after seventh grader shoots self on campus, reports say

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/02/jackson_local_schools_on_lockd....

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Tue, Feb 20, 2018, at 9:34 AM

2nd Amendment supporters pay attention to this. This proposed bill has the support of 150 Democrats and needs to be defeated asap. The bill prohibits the “sale, transfer, production, and importation” of semi-automatic rifles and pistols that can hold a detachable magazine, as well as semi-automatic rifles with a magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds. Additionally, the legislation bans the sale, transfer, production, and importation of semi-automatic shotguns with features such as a pistol grip or detachable stock, and ammunition feeding devices that can hold more than 10 rounds.

https://news.americanewscentral.com/2018/02/28/dems-officially-make-move-put-for...

Schaefer's World

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Wed, Feb 28, 2018, at 6:27 PM
  • If they want to get serious , control the amount of ammunition production and sales .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Wed, Feb 28, 2018, at 6:32 PM
  • It's to the point now an average working stiff has to give up something in the budget to afford a firearm and I would look for them to impose more taxes rather than adding laws.

-- Posted by R. W. Bess on Wed, Feb 28, 2018, at 6:53 PM

- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Wed, Feb 28, 2018, at 6:32 PM

Rick: Obama tried that back in 2014 and 2015 by placing large government orders for ammo causing a shortage for regular Americans.

Schaefer's World

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Wed, Feb 28, 2018, at 7:05 PM
  • -- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Wed, Feb 28, 2018, at 9:06 PM
  • semo

Ahhh , Defense spending....raise that Budget !

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Wed, Feb 28, 2018, at 9:12 PM

Wal-Mart publicity stunt since they already do not sell AR-15s, Bump Stocks, or high capacity magazines.

https://news.walmart.com/2018/02/28/walmart-statement-on-firearms-policy

Schaefer's World

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Wed, Feb 28, 2018, at 9:44 PM
  • semo, Walter Williams pointed out the opportunity to be successful in our capitalistic system is to find a way to please your fellow citizens as in Henry Ford's more affordable car.

Walmart was founded on that idea has shifted to pleasing the emotions of their fellow citizens given what the liberals demand.

I think they are doing just that and next week or next month another people pleasing policy will be announced.

-- Posted by R. W. Bess on Wed, Feb 28, 2018, at 10:08 PM
  • Looks like Commie dodged a bullet yesterday. Adrienne Ross's column disappeared so his cowering worked again. He still can't answer the question regarding his beloved gun control - it won't work because:

===

The liberal democrat plan - after every mass shooting ban something...

-first ban bump stocks (Sandy Hook killer didn't use one)... but that doesn't stop the shootings so

-ban AR15's (not used at Columbine massacre)... but that doesn't stop the shootings so

-ban 18 year olds from buying any gun (Sandy Hook killer was 3 months shy of 21 and didn't buy a gun - he stole it)... but that doesn't stop the shootings so

-ban all semi-automatic guns of all kinds (Bath School 38 dead in Michigan - no gun used)... but that doesn't stop the shootings so...

-limit all guns to just single shot rifles and confiscate hand guns, etc.

This is why socialist / marxists (see: Venezuela) like Hillary, Barry, Bernie, Chuck and Nancy don't want to solve the shooting problem. The shootings are very, very useful to them and they seriously don't want it solved because they know the problem isn't the gun - it's mentally ill / dangerous people but this is a great way to get the guns as has happened in Chicago and DC.

===

Sorry Commie Lettau - a public forum. You can run, but you can't hide.

-- Posted by Doug Williams 4/24 on Thu, Mar 1, 2018, at 7:58 AM
  • Adrienne Ross's column is still alive .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Thu, Mar 1, 2018, at 8:19 AM
  • It is alive (albeit off the main page).

But Lettau isn't - he's cowering on the tough questions and has no answer to his gun control agenda. None - just talking points.

-- Posted by Doug Williams 4/24 on Thu, Mar 1, 2018, at 9:30 AM

Respond to this thread