Speak Out: Filled out my census form today

Posted by FriendO on Wed, Mar 17, 2010, at 9:52 AM:

Took exactly 1 minute. Most intrusive question was for my phone number.

Here's some interesting reading, it's the statistical report of the 1870 census, which defined the US population on such things as:

"Nativity and foreign parentage"

"Persons in each class of occupations"

"Regarding ages, illiteracy"

"Pauperism"

http://www2.census.gov/prod2/decennial/documents/1870a-01.pdf

Wonder what folks in 1870 thought of their census questions.

Replies (11)

• I did not, cannot and will be unable to fill mine out because I am traveling and not receiving mail.

Will I go to prison?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Mar 17, 2010, at 12:07 PM
  • Thanks for helping to make sure that our community gets it's fair share of federal tax money! You are a great American!

-- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Mar 17, 2010, at 12:44 PM
  • 1870 Census, FriendO? Don't know, that was a bit before my time.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Mar 17, 2010, at 3:39 PM
  • Wheels

are ya right sure they'll buy that story ?

-- Posted by *Rick* on Wed, Mar 17, 2010, at 1:33 PM

Rick,

Frankly, I don't care because I am not cutting things short for a census form.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Mar 17, 2010, at 4:09 PM
  • Question. Do I get a cute little sticker that I can wear around all day when I gleefully skip to the mailbox to return my US Census like when I give blood, or vote?

I don't know why so many individuals are so eager to please our rulers. The census is a prime opportunity to practice a little civil disobedience, and openly mock them with no recourse. Lighten up. Have a little fun with the bozos' bureaucracy. They already know all of the information that they are demanding. It's all a game so play along. Force these census workers to visit your residence and have a friendly chat. Get your money's worth. Make sure that the kids are in the room to participate in their constitutional duty. Share some secondhand smoke. Have some Great Spotted Suck Toad Soup.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Mar 17, 2010, at 4:21 PM
  • sateva,

I may as well see my investment realize fruition. More bang for my buck - that sort of thing.

Besides, isn't the entire census a waste of "taxpayer money"? The bozos already know the answers to all of their questions.

Do you still think that real, tangible, actual taxpayer dollars fund all of this?

-- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Mar 17, 2010, at 5:41 PM
  • vandeven2010 - Ok - I get it now - you running for office was intended as a joke. For some reason I thought you were a serious candidate...must have missed something, somewhere.

-- Posted by concerned4all on Wed, Mar 17, 2010, at 6:01 PM
  • A political candidate encouraging individuals to participate in a little civil disobedience is completely irresponsible. I should be ashamed of myself. I should be reminding people that it is our civic duty as Americans to submit to our government's every demand without question.

Should I re-file as a Democrat or a Republican?

-- Posted by Lumpy on Thu, Mar 18, 2010, at 7:33 AM
  • I answered all ten questions on my Census Survey, but marked numbers 3 through 10 as being given under protest. I took the time to write them a letter stating that these questions were overly intrusive, unconstitutional in nature, and had no direct bearing on the Census Bureau's mission. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on America's professional bureaucrats.

-- Posted by Rocket_Surgeon on Thu, Mar 18, 2010, at 8:09 AM
  • Why was there 3 different options for Hispanic origin? What difference does it make to the US census if the Hispanic person comes from Mexico, Cuba, or other?

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Thu, Mar 18, 2010, at 8:16 AM
  • Rocket_Surgeon,

Do you also protest giving out that information on your driver's license, children's birth certificates, credit applications, rebate forms, applications for colleges, at doctors offices, on television and internet service provider's contracts, phone contracts, tax returns, mortgage applications, home owners' insurance policies, car insurance policies, life insurance policies, and all your bank accounts?

Do you protest Experian and Equifax, and other private data holding companies, that mine and sell your name, demographics, and personal shopping habits for profit?

I have to say...without giving up your name, address and age...you aren't going to get much in life unless you live in a shack in the woods.

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 18, 2010, at 1:22 PM

Respond to this thread