Speak Out: 10/6/17

Posted by Rick Scaggs on Fri, Oct 6, 2017, at 8:16 AM:

Great story

Wow! Talk about a feel-good story when we need it. Thank you for the excellent piece on Cape-based barber, Billy Sisco. Sisco personifies the absolute best in our community, a humble, generous, friendly and good-natured gentleman whom I have been lucky enough to know for decades. As an added bonus, I was thrilled with the photograph of Mr. Sisco and customer, Kent "Charles" Cargle, a longtime friend and unrivaled living legend.

Semoball love

Kudos to the sports staff at the Southeast Missourian! They don't always get the thanks they deserve for the amount of work they do! It appears that the SEMOBALL area is quite large, and they tackle each story without bias and with poise.

Trump re-election

I wonder if the politicians that block anything and everything that the Trump Administration is trying to do and the Trump bashing individuals know what they are doing? Let me clue you in. They are strengthening the Trump movement! He is a shoo-in for 2020. You might ask why? Because he is speaking my language. He is speaking the language of all of us who need a voice at election time. He is not politically correct and we love it! You see, I am sick and tired of overpaid athletes using their overblown notoriety to disrespect our national anthem. I am sick and tired of all the Hollywood elite thinking their opinion is sacred. I am sick and tired of career politicians using their power and influence to shut down ideas that Trump championed. So all of you keep bashing and blocking President Trump because you are building a momentum for re-electing President Trump that will be unstoppable in 2020!

'An American Hero'

My wife and I went to see the performance of "An American Hero" (Sunday Oct. 1), with much anticipation. However, we could make out no more than 10 percent of what they were saying, basically leaving us in the dark on their dialog, and what their message was. We stuck it out until intermission before we left, with much dissatisfaction. And, we weren't the only ones who left. If the audience can't understand the words, something is wrong, somewhere. Such a failure, and I do not know who is to blame.

Sad condition

We have hundreds of people protesting in our state and country over criminals that made wrong decisions when confronted by law enforcement, and yet eight senior citizens die from neglect at the hands of an unscrupulous care center and not one protester is on site. What a sad commentary on our nation.

Wonderful flowers

A big ovation to the volunteer responsible for the beautiful flowers that I enjoy when I pass by the junior high on Caruthers. They look great! A big thank you to you for so many years of enjoyment.

Replies (10)

• Trump re-election....waiting for him to put down that cell phone , he's speaking in "tweet"

Sad condition...you got that right . There's a lot of kids who need some help too . What happens when those protesters block an ambulance ? They need to step up their game and start blocking railroad crossings .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Fri, Oct 6, 2017, at 8:48 AM

They need to step up their game and start blocking railroad crossings .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Fri, Oct 6, 2017, at 8:48 AM

Yes, and give the survivors the necessary tools and make them clean up the mess they caused.

-- Posted by Ralph VanGennip on Fri, Oct 6, 2017, at 9:39 AM

Great story: Mr. Sisco is a man who loves his job (art).

Semoball love: Thanks to the Sports Editor of the Southeast Missourian for calling into S.O.

Trump re-election: Trump 2020!!

'An American Hero': Sounds like a PA system failure - the sound person is definitely not An American Hero.

Sad condition: To the protesters in St. Louis the Drug Pusher is more of a hero than the police are. Indeed a sad commentary on our nation.

Wonderful flowers: Maybe this volunteer could be paid by the City to decorate Broadway St.

And that's the way it should be....Friday October 6, 2017.

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Fri, Oct 6, 2017, at 4:14 PM
  • Columbus Day Is the Most Important Day of Every Year

Columbus’ landfall in the Western Hemisphere was the opening of Europe’s conquest of essentially all of this planet. By 1914, 422 years later, European powers and the U.S. controlled 85 percent of the world’s land mass.

White people didn’t accomplish this by asking politely. As conservative Harvard political scientist Samuel Huntington put it in 1996, “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

In fact, European colonialism involved a level of brutality comparable in every way to that of 20th-century fascism and communism, and it started with Columbus himself. Estimates of the number of people living on the island of Hispaniola when Columbus established settlements range from 250,000 to several million. Within 30 years of his arrival, 80 to 90 percent of them were dead due to disease, war and enslavement, in what another Harvard professor cheerily called “complete genocide.” Contemporary accounts of the Spaniards’ berserk cruelty really have to be read to be believed.

Formally, of course, European colonialism largely ended in the 1940s, ’50s and ’60s. Yet informally, it has — behind the mask of what Pope Francis recently called “new forms of colonialism” — continued with surprising success.

Thus European colonialism is the central fact of politics on earth. And precisely because of that, it is almost never part of any American discussion of politics. Anthropologists call this phenomenon “social silence” — meaning that in most human societies, the subjects that are core to how the societies function are exactly the ones that are never mentioned.

If we maintain the social silence around colonialism, our past and present will always be bewildering, like the above list. But if we break the silence, and talk about what truly matters, the confusing swirl of war and conflict can suddenly makes sense.

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Mon, Oct 9, 2017, at 7:24 PM
  • From Wikipedia. One of the largest killing of "native Americans" (their words, not mine) in American history was native American against native American:

"Crow Creek massacre 486 known dead were discovered at an archaeological site near Chamberlain, South Dakota. The victims and perpetrators were unknown groups of Native Americans. 486 killed"

-- Posted by Doug Williams 4/24 on Mon, Oct 9, 2017, at 7:41 PM
  • 486 --- oh , no !!

Try millions ...

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Mon, Oct 9, 2017, at 8:12 PM
  • Good , bad , or ugly , 85,000 were killed in Japan in 10 seconds .

Those who forget the past and won't understand the present .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Mon, Oct 9, 2017, at 8:28 PM
  • There have probably been billions killed by all races against other races and within their own race.

Should we wipe off "Caeser Salad" from all menus?

Should we get "General Tso's Chicken" off all menus?

Columbus, Robert E. Lee, Julius Caeser, Comanche's, Apaches, White Europeans, Black Africans, etc. are all tainted with brutal torture, murder, rape and killing of others.

-- Posted by Doug Williams 4/24 on Mon, Oct 9, 2017, at 8:40 PM
  • Good , bad , or ugly , 85,000 were killed in Japan in 10 seconds . Those who forget the past and won't understand the present . -- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Mon, Oct 9, 2017, at 8:28 PM

Couldn't agree more.

-- Posted by Doug Williams 4/24 on Mon, Oct 9, 2017, at 8:41 PM

Even in the Bible, God commanded the Jews to kill the inhabitants of the "Promise Land" and then settle there.

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 8:27 AM

Respond to this thread