Speak Out: 10/2/17

Posted by Rick Scaggs on Mon, Oct 2, 2017, at 6:12 AM:

South Cape

Seemingly, south Cape has been treated like having a collective status of second class citizenry. As the area organizes and begins to exercise political power, those days are, hopefully, coming to an end.

Cotton issue

This is the pitts!! Cotton stalks are racist! I was raised very poor; when I say poor, I mean no money and very few prospects to get it. I hoed cotton and I picked cotton, (Oh by the way I am a Caucasian American). I saw a lot of cotton fields and a lot of people picking cotton, and where I came from there were a lot more white people picking cotton than there were African Americans picking cotton, because poverty knows no race! Cotton stalks, really! Is that the best you can come up with?

Library discussion

I was in Cape's public library the other day. A couple of elderly gentlemen were in an animated discussion over whether or not the Cards were going to make the playoffs. Anyway, another man walked up to them and told them to be quiet because he was trying to read. Can you believe that?

Replies (6)

• Good thing Mrs Damitz wasn't there to cuff the ears of those two library talkers.

-- Posted by DA Braswell on Mon, Oct 2, 2017, at 7:47 AM
  • ...and then another man walked up and told the other man who told the two men to be quiet to be quiet ...and then a woman walked up and told that man who told the other man who told those two men to be quiet to be quiet..the next thing you know , all hell broke loose , the whole library was talking...

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Mon, Oct 2, 2017, at 7:52 AM

Cotton Issue

Sir/Maam, as the case may be, as I know in the time of which you speak, girls were not immune from working in the fields, I can understand exactly where you are coming from.

I grew up a county or so north of cotton country and never hoed or picked it. Put me down as same level on the social class except hoing cockle burrs out of the corn rows.

I'm betting you did something about the poor part because you learned to work.

-- Posted by Ralph VanGennip on Mon, Oct 2, 2017, at 8:30 AM
  • Theorist

Where are you ? I bet you hate this , wouldn't you ?

At least 50 dead, more than 400 hurt in Las Vegas concert attack

LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - Some 50 people died and more than 400 were hurt when a 64-year-old gunman with an arsenal of at least 10 rifles fired on Las Vegas country music festival on Sunday, raining down bullets from a 32nd-floor window for several minutes before killing himself.

The death toll, which police emphasized was preliminary, would make the mass shooting the deadliest in U.S. history, eclipsing last year's massacre of 49 people at an Orlando night club by a gunman who pledged allegiance to Islamic State militants.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/20-dead-over-100-injured-in-shooting-on-las-veg...

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Mon, Oct 2, 2017, at 9:21 AM
  • Eldritch Abomination has arrived . The boats of Styx have emptied . The Mayans were correct , with the date of 12/21/12 , the great Change has come , sad as it is ...

I see many quote scripture from the Bible , they blame lack of Prayer and a Faith to God ..I ask , why would an Almighty God who loves his Children allow such events -- like 9/11 too -- to happen ? Blame not a God , blame a falling of a society and a civilization...

Every Empire in history has fallen , from the Greek to the Roman to the Ming to the Aztec to the Nazi ..the USA will too ...

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Mon, Oct 2, 2017, at 9:38 AM

South Cape: If you act like a second class citizenry then you might just be that.

Cotton issue: Very good, I too picked cotton as a kid during the Cotton Vacation in SEMO.

Library discussion: Animated discussions should be held over a cup of coffee either at McDonalds or Burger King not at the public library.

And that's the way it should be....Tuesday October 3, 2017.

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 10:19 AM

Respond to this thread