Speak Out: Give us a FULL description already!

Posted by gman on Tue, Jun 30, 2009, at 4:28 PM:

Spank you are right on.

I don't even know why they even bother with "news" articles like this if they only give a politically correct description.

This is a complete waste of time and does nothing to help local law enforcement.

A few weeks ago there was a be on the look out for two escaped prisoners article. I would assume when they where arrested, tried and convicted somewhere along the line they had their picture taken. But oh no it was not put in the article. I said in response to that article I could be standing in line with this person and not even know it.

If they don't want to give a description then don't even bother printing the article. Geez!

Replies (13)

• I am also irked when no description/picture is given, it would help us as a community be aware of potential criminals or to help the police with tips.

-- Posted by Turnip on Tue, Jun 30, 2009, at 9:59 PM
  • Being a male,I am offended that they used the word man as a descriptive. Isn't that a bit, oh shall we say SEXIST. And being a gun owner,why did they disparage all of us gun owners by saying the store was robbed at GUNPOINT?

Here is the politically correct way to write the headline. Human being robs Southeast Missouri store with a threating object...leaves scene in a gas powered vehicle.

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Tue, Jun 30, 2009, at 11:04 PM
  • InfoWarrior,

As editor of the Newspeak Babbler, it is my job to replace "gas powered vehicle" with the more acceptable "CO2 spewing earth raper". Remember, as an upstanding member of the media we have the duty to push the government's agenda first and foremost.

Other than that, nice job!

-- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Jul 1, 2009, at 5:20 AM
  • "Believed to have been wearing bib overalls and a tee shirt" just come out and say it "Red Neck".

Be on the look out for anyone with the name BUBBA or the middle name of BOB. Billy Bob, Joe Bob, Etc.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Wed, Jul 1, 2009, at 7:14 AM
  • Airborne 95B

To funny, but if someone had a skin condition on the back of their neck would that be singling someone out? That would just not be fair.

Your name Bubba is what I thought when I saw this. They should also add anyone that has a uncle-dad would be suspect as well.

-- Posted by gman on Wed, Jul 1, 2009, at 7:45 AM
  • Thanks for pointing out my egregious error Lumpy. It is clear to me now that I must be sent back to the re-education camp to correct my thought processing and to drink some more delicious, fluoride fortified, intelligence enhancer, water.If I don't go, the next thing you know I might start believing 2 + 2 = 4 again.

Thanks again for saving me from making myself an embarrassment to big brother.

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Wed, Jul 1, 2009, at 8:22 AM
  • not meaning to change the subject here, but...

did i miss the official description of the Schnuck's purse snatcher?

to me that's a HUGE story, lady getting mugged INSIDE the friendliest store in town? i didn't see much of a write up on it.

-- Posted by TommyStix on Wed, Jul 1, 2009, at 8:52 AM
  • TommyStix , They actually had his picture in the paper (taken from the in store camera)

-- Posted by rockman54 on Wed, Jul 1, 2009, at 9:05 AM
  • Just wanted to drop a note to let everyone know that in light of the discussion on this very issue, we're revisiting our policy regarding how we use racial identifiers in our descriptions of criminal suspects. In the past our policy has been to never use race as an identifier, but we've reviewed that policy in light of recent commentary here on the site and decided to make some small changes.

Look for more on the new policy posted on the forum after the holiday weekend. Speaking of holiday weekends, please have a safe and fun one this year.

-- Posted by Matt Sanders on Wed, Jul 1, 2009, at 12:27 PM
  • Matt, thank you and the staff for addressing this. I know I've been harping on it for months, but I do appreciate this policy being reevaluated and discussed.

-- Posted by Cap_Anson on Wed, Jul 1, 2009, at 12:47 PM
  • Thanks Matt for re-thinking the policy. Obviously race has been used in the past ( and in some reporting still does today ) as a pejorative, when a serious crime is committed.

When violent criminals are on the loose, every descriptive possible is essential to help the public assist the police in arresting them.

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Wed, Jul 1, 2009, at 1:00 PM
  • Oh, good description, Info! That's just so clever ... Thanks for injecting some humor into the issue! Laughing with all of you!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Wed, Jul 1, 2009, at 1:05 PM
  • Matt,

Thank you for reviewing this policy. It helps us in the community who read your articles and would be willing to contact the local authorities should we see someone matching the discription, ie white male 6ft wearing blue jeans and a purple shirt and white hat.

I think more is made out of the race then it should be. If you go down the path of not identifing race then you might as well only say human and not say gender for that might offend someone who takes this as being sexist. Height might offend our height challenged people. Weight might offend our robust weist lined folks. You get the message.

Again thank you for taking another look at your policy.

-- Posted by gman on Wed, Jul 1, 2009, at 4:18 PM

Respond to this thread