Speak Out: Obama "couldn't sell watermelons"

Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 8, 2010, at 7:10 PM:

Dan Rather wouldn't know a watermelon stand if he stooped so low as to ask a cab driver to find him one!

Replies (9)

• Rather's the guy who once described something or other ( an election, I think) as being "tighter than the lugnuts on a '56 Ford." Ya gotta admit ole Dan can turn a phrase even if it isn't always "politically correct".

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Mar 8, 2010, at 10:28 PM
  • Maybe the voters will have a temper tantrum.

Was that Richard C. Hottelot or someone else?

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 8, 2010, at 10:56 PM
  • During the summer I eat about three or four a week.

-- Posted by Wiff on Tue, Mar 9, 2010, at 6:36 PM

Figures! ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Tue, Mar 9, 2010, at 7:18 PM
  • Ahh yes, that inestimable comment 'the tea party participants are mostly white' and thus they somehow don't represent a majority. Well surprise, surprise, surprise Gomer's Pyle, whites are the majority of the population, for now, and thus all those "aftican-americans, who are really just Americans since they weren't born in Africa, need to be paying attention and educating themselves about the basics of being a citizen and the responsibilities that come with that role. It's an election, not Big Brother or Survivor or some other "reality" show where you vote based on looks or whatever qualifications people usually associate with such shows. Remember that 6% of the "black" population didn't vote for Obama, including Dr. Walter Williams a professor of economics at George Mason university whom I have yet to find an article I disagree with.

Everyone would do well to begin by reading the writings of Plato, then Aristotle, St. Augustine, Lucretius, Thomas Aquinas, Dante, Machiavelli, Descartes, Montesquieu, and follow up with the constitution, the federalist papers, and the many other writings of Thomas Jefferson. I understand that is a tall order considering everyone's ages but it will give you great insight into why we were established as we were, especially the freedoms and rights established for our state and federal governments.

-- Posted by non-biasedphilosopher on Tue, Mar 9, 2010, at 10:43 PM
  • Caddy,

While you and I agree on almost nothing... I admire your ability to apologize for an error, it shows character.

My opinion of Dan Rather hasn't changed, he is still an idiot.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Mar 10, 2010, at 7:25 AM
  • Dan Rather has upon several occasions abused his position as a "newsman" and "journalist." He became a partisan propagandist. He has taken liberties with the truth. He crossed the line by his deceptions.

Worst of all, he has deceived himself.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Mar 10, 2010, at 8:37 AM
  • I will never forget Dan Rather, with the World Trade Center clearly collapsed on the screen behind him, telling us not to believe the rumours that a tower had collapsed. He spun another of his cutesy little phrases, something about rumours flying faster than hotcakes at a country breaksfast or some such nonsense. The phrase was not the point, the point was Dan Rather trying to tell us that the tower had not collapsed until he said it had collapsed.

It sort of summed up his entire career: It didn't happen unless he said so. "Fake but accurate". President Nixon pointed this out about his reporting on Vietnam. I have little use for the man.

"What's the frequency, Kenneth?"

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Mar 10, 2010, at 8:54 AM
  • I agree with Dan for once in my life. i heard him mutter under his breath that obama couldn't sell cotton either.

-- Posted by wonderfulneighbors on Thu, Mar 18, 2010, at 11:41 AM
  • I wonder, just what CAN Obama sell? Pickled herring?

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Mar 18, 2010, at 12:08 PM

Respond to this thread