Speak Out: The Census - Do we have to answer their questions?

Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 9:49 AM:

Does this guy have it correct?

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=iUMurKinTVE

Why? or Why Not?

Replies (42)

• Rick,

Do you think we could get away with "I cannot recall"?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 10:01 AM
  • 221. Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers

(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age, refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not more than $100.

(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be fined not more than $500.

(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, no person shall be compelled to disclose information relative to his religious beliefs or to membership in a religious body.

Sec. 222. Giving suggestions or information with intent to cause inaccurate enumeration of population

Whoever, either directly or indirectly, offers or renders to any officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof engaged in making an enumeration of population under subchapter II, IV, or V of chapter 5 of this title, any suggestion, advice, information or assistance of any kind, with the intent or purpose of causing an inaccurate enumeration of population to be made, shall be fined not more than $1,000 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 10:17 AM
  • Blogbdsman,

Well, I suppose that is the census bureau's opinion at least.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 10:26 AM
  • Well, there goes one right preventing self incrimination.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 10:29 AM
  • Paranoid nonsense. The census would be a pointless waste of time and money if all we did was count our numbers.

For the census to be useful you need data. And data is useful for more than just distribution of government funds; it is also vital in showing where the country is headed. It helps create a plan for future growth.

I would suggest you are doing a disservice to yourself, your community and your country by willfully withholding information.

By the way, not everyone even gets the "long" census form.

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 11:05 AM
  • AFAIK Spank it is random.

If you couldn't tell by my previous post, I take the census seriously.

I never thought something as neutral as the census could be politicized. But then again some people aren't happy unless they're complaining.

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 11:30 AM
  • http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php

This is the form. Number of people in household, age, sex, race, rent or own.

Telemarketers know more about you than this.

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 11:50 AM
  • For the census to be useful you need data. And data is useful for more than just distribution of government funds; it is also vital in showing where the country is headed. It helps create a plan for future growth.

I would suggest you are doing a disservice to yourself, your community and your country by willfully withholding information.

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 11:05 AM

If the data is being used for future growth and planning, wouldn't we be in better shape.

So far as withholding informating, some of that is very personal and no one's business but mine. I will not disclose my income to a census taker pulled off the street to fill a job because he had none.

If that costs me a $100 so it costs me a $100.

And there is nothing political about the question. It gets more intrusive with each census. And enough is enough already!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 11:51 AM
  • Wheels you have confused the actual census with the ACS. So did the guy in your video. Go to the census website. Age, sex, race, rent or own.

The ACS is separate and is mailed out continually instead of every 10 years. Yes it is still mandatory, but at least get it straight what you're complaining about.

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 11:58 AM
  • This is the form. Number of people in household, age, sex, race, rent or own.

Telemarketers know more about you than this.

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 11:50 AM

That has to be the short form.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 11:59 AM
  • Wheels you have confused the actual census with the ACS. So did the guy in your video. Go to the census website. Age, sex, race, rent or own.

The ACS is separate and is mailed out continually instead of every 10 years. Yes it is still mandatory, but at least get it straight what you're complaining about.

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 11:58 AM

Friendo,

It is nice to know that you are more knowledgable than the guy in the video. Although he sounded to me like he knew what he was talking about.

Now I suppose it is my job to determine who I want to believe, him or you. Since I know neither of you, I should be able to make an unbiased decision.

So according to you there is no long form this year? I suppose time will tell, in about two weeks actually.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 12:04 PM
  • I mentioned the "long form" but they retired it for 2010. The guy in your video is ranting about the American Community Survey, which can be sent out whenever the Bureau pleases - but he doesn't specify this. Very misleading.

Also, census takers don't go door-to-door anymore. They just mail the forms out.

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 12:05 PM
  • Oh, and Friendo,

When I pose a question, it does not necessarily mean I am complaining.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 12:07 PM
  • I mentioned the "long form" but they retired it for 2010. The guy in your video is ranting about the American Community Survey, which can be sent out whenever the Bureau pleases - but he doesn't specify this. Very misleading.

Also, census takers don't go door-to-door anymore. They just mail the forms out.

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 12:05 PM

If theey are not going to go door to door, why were they hiring them? Just curious.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 12:09 PM
  • ACS: http://www.census.gov/acs/www/SBasics/What/What1.htm

Look at the webpage in the background of his video - it's the ACS webpage.

Here is the 2010 Census homepage: http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/about-the-form.php

The form is only 10 questions. The ACS has replaced the long form.

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 12:10 PM
  • The door-to-door people go out prior to the actual census to verify addresses. These are the guys with the GPS units that some people turned into a conspiracy. All they do if verify land parcels are where they are on the map. These are your temp-hires doing busy work.

After the form-return window, then census workers (NOT temp people - background checked) will visit addresses where no form was returned because some people get forms in the wrong language, have trouble understanding the form, etc.

Let's just say i am a former employee!

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 12:12 PM
  • Let's just say i am a former employee!

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 12:12 PM

No bias there I am sure.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 12:19 PM
  • No, there would be bias if I worked for them and represented myself as an employee of the Census Bureau. I have no affiliation with the Census Bureau whatsoever.

I gave you links to the ACS website, the 2010 Census website, and the ACTUAL form you will get in the mail. Short of reading it to you there's not much more I can do.

There's being suspicious and then there's being boneheaded. You sound like your mind was made up from the start; do what you will.

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 12:26 PM
  • Mr. Spank,

That is exactly what they do. They only knock on the doors when a building must be verified that is vacant or occupied. No one ever knocked on my door; how 'bout you?

Regards

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 12:37 PM
  • Spank,

Not everyone lives in a city or pays a utility company. Remember where they found the dead Census worker a few months back? We're talking about finding the poorest of the poor - shacks with no heating and sometimes no running water.

The manual GPS coordinates also are EXTREMELY helpful with updating maps. Census maps are used by state, county, city governments - you name it.

Just because a situation doesn't apply to you does not mean it is unnecessary.

Regards

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 12:57 PM
  • What an opportunity for some fun!

Answer the door naked.

Invite the census taker in for some Spotted Suck Toad Soup.

Answer in Klingon.

Wear your Halloween costume.

Tell the census taker that he/she is the sign from God that you have been waiting on, and as soon as they leave you are going to commit suicide.

Answer the questions in song.

Tell the census taker that you suffer from irritable bowel syndrome, and that you really have to go. This may take hours, but you can answer their questions from the other side of the closed bathroom door. Make horrible, gut wrenching sounds in between your answers. Be sure to drop heavy objects in the toilet as you do so.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 12:57 PM
  • They can check with city records to find out if a house is occupied or not. You do have to have utilities you know?

My friends and family know that they have to call first before they show up. In this crazy world I don't answer the door for anybody if I don't know who they are.

-- Posted by SpankTheTank on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 12:47 PM

Spank,

My Great Grandfather was married as Lambert.

He used the name Robert.

Two weeks after he was married the census taker enumerated him as Hubert.

Either Great Grandma really got around, or something was wrong with the information.

Wonder when the modern day wonders get through with the count if the information will be as accurate?

Maybe hiring all those door to door folks was a part of the full employment plan.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 1:13 PM
  • Alot of houses that are vacant still have the utilities on, particularly if the house is for sale. Prospective buyers may view the house in the evening, even in the daytime there is still a need to turn on some of the lights when deciding to purchase a house, not to mention to be able to inspect/test the heat and air to make it sure it performs properly before purchasing.

There is no harm in answering the census questions, thinking otherwise is just being ignorant.

-- Posted by gomer on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 2:04 PM
  • An identity theft two years ago has zero to do with the 2010 census, or the 2000 census, or the 1990 census, etc.

-- Posted by gomer on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 2:37 PM
  • We would NOT need a **** census if there were NO Federal Government. If I could choose to abolish one of them it would be the Federal Government.

Since when have the Feds paid any attention to the American public? I say get rid of the Fed and give back to the States what it took away! SOVEREIGNTY. JMO

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 3:25 PM
  • Out of state banks, Wiff? Like maybe in Grand Caymans, maybe?

We've tried the Confederacy way twice. First one didn't work. Second one lost a war. Sad, sad, sad.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 3:56 PM
  • Christ almighty, it's a census, it's not an all-day rectal exam. I've never seen more paranoia over something so trivial.

-- Posted by moemoney on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 4:06 PM
  • SpankTank - if you're that worried about it, just tell them you are an illegal alien. That's probably the safest thing you can do to make sure the current government won't release your data to the public. Saying you are an illegal alien guarantees that they won't prosecute you for not answering truthfully, lol

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gRgnT7g-zoAKvFhJ0GE3J71ly_jQD9...

psst - they won't prosecute you for not answering correctly because then they would have to prosecute you for being an illegal alien, and we all know there is no way that happens.

-- Posted by gomer on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 4:22 PM
  • Absolutely the dumbest, most head-bashingly stubborn ignorant people in the entire **** country, right here in Southeast MO. There oughtta be an award.

If you can't tell the difference between an actual government worker and a scam, you have bigger issues to worry about than the census.

If you can't find "www.census.gov" and read the form for yourself, you have bigger issues to worry about than the census.

If you do your taxes every year, telling the government precisely how much money you make, your SSN, whether or not you're married, how many kids you have, whether you take care of elderly parents, how many miles you drive in your car, and how much interest you pay on your loans, but are afraid to check the "Male/Female" box on your census form, then you have officially won the "Idiot of the Year" award.

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 4:49 PM
  • Friendo: There are not enough awards to go around with as many whack jobs as inhabit SEMO.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 6:22 PM
  • If you can't tell the difference between an actual government worker and a scam, you have bigger issues to worry about than the census.

-- Posted by FriendO on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 4:49 PM

The government has become a scam. The elected officials scam us out of money and raise their own salaries.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 8:53 PM
  • Out time is up when we say it is!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 10:18 PM
  • If you tell them you are an illegal alien that practically guarantees you they won't reveal your information, lol.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03/04/money-line-local-governments-urge-ill...

Ok, honest question now because I really have no clue on the subject. Isn't there a law in some states on knowing about a crime but not reporting it? If you're a census dude, and you interview someone that is an illegal alien, wouldn't you be required by law to report that to the proper authorities? What if you're a census dude and someone tells you they make all their money in cash by selling illegal drugs. Wouldn't you have to report that to proper authorities too?

-- Posted by gomer on Thu, Mar 4, 2010, at 11:31 PM
  • Friendo

Sorry but the scam phone calls have reached my house claiming to need to know some very sensative personal information about me and my family from a "private name". You know the kind that would make it soooo easy to steal ones identity. You mark my words we will see in the missourian or on some national news network a parade of individuals for all to hear their sob stories.

I for one am looking forward to putting European-American on the "other" box since I am not African-American, black or Negro.

Lumpy,

I may take a page from your playbook in answering the door. That was to funny. I was thinking of answering with a large depends on that I had filled with lemonade and let it leak as I stand their answering their questions.

-- Posted by gman on Fri, Mar 5, 2010, at 6:50 AM
  • Lumpy and gman,

We were told yesterday.... this is serious business.

Now you guys have got to straighten up before the correctness committee on here is forced to meet and ban you from these highly intellectual threads.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Mar 5, 2010, at 8:47 AM
  • The last time I filled in a form that asked about race, I wrote in "Human".

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Mar 5, 2010, at 8:54 AM
  • Old John,

Not sure if that is appropriate for all.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Mar 5, 2010, at 8:56 AM
  • Good morning!

No way....I am not gonna answer my door dressed like a klingon and post it on youtube. I don't care how funny that would be; I do have my limits. ☻

I received a census related question from the school about ethnicity a couple of days ago. ??

-- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Mar 5, 2010, at 9:07 AM
  • Been thinking, Wiff...about opening that Grand Cayman bank account. You asked if they gave toasters.

Well, I checked with the Delphi Oracle and she said no toasters. She went on to say that for certain accounts they were known to give out Rolls Royces on a very quiet, desecrate basis. of course. Cayman banks are very well known for their desecration.

A few other depositors might get a ride from the airport to the bank in a Rolls Royce. Everyone else walk or hail a cab.

Naturally, the banks are more than willing to provide armored truck service if needed.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Mar 5, 2010, at 9:35 AM
  • You get a piece of paper in the mail with 10 questions on it. Questions that you would have to answer just to get a driver's license, home loan, or credit card. Ok maybe not the race part.

As my a friend of mine likes to say: Why do you have to make a thing out of it?

This is what I cannot understand, and "wakes my emotions." People question something, receive a truthful response, yet continue to be suspicious, combative, argumentative all the while denying facts.

Imagine someone tells you the sky was purple, and you point out that it is actually blue, offering evidence for why the sky is blue and cannot be purple, and the only response you receive is "yeah but it's purple."

You can't argue with an opinion. But don't ask a question and then argue or complain about the answers you receive when you have nothing valid to back up your argument. I presented a number of websites pointing out how the census works, including the ACTUAL FORM you will get in the mail. Reasonable people would absorb that information. Stubborn, unreasonable people deny that it exists. If you don't like what it says, PROVE IT WRONG!

There are at least 2 posters on this thread alone who have done the equivalent of sticking fingers in their ears and hollering "lalalala" when they got answers that didn't mesh with what they wanted to hear. Frankly I don't give a sh!t if you want to pretend the sky is purple, but don't get mad when I tell you you're an idiot for believing it.

-- Posted by FriendO on Fri, Mar 5, 2010, at 11:30 AM
  • Frankly I don't give a sh!t if you want to pretend the sky is purple, but don't get mad when I tell you you're an idiot for believing it.

-- Posted by FriendO on Fri, Mar 5, 2010, at 11:30 AM

What color is the sky in your world FriendO

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Mar 5, 2010, at 11:49 AM
  • It's whatever the color it is when I look out the window and observe it. It's blue today, it was blue yesterday and I can reasonably predict that it'll be blue tomorrow.

Having said that, I'm sure you would like to argue that it's orange because a youtube video told you so.

-- Posted by FriendO on Fri, Mar 5, 2010, at 11:52 AM

Respond to this thread