Speak Out: Things that aren't illegal but should be...

Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Dec 18, 2014, at 4:13 PM:

...according to an MSN article. My question: why should they be illegal?

I blame Shorten and Fagaly. They produced a comic strip in the 1940s called "There ought to be a law" which detailed their pet peaves and seemingly proposed legal proscriptions to remedy them.

The ten things MSN claims their ought to be law against are:

10) wearing a colander on your head for a driver's license photo

9) driving with an open container of alcohol (only applies to Mississippi)

8) flipping off a cop

7) using a radar detector

6) spitting on cars that are badly parked

5) ignoring Stop signs on private property

4) walking around while high

3) swearing at a cop

2) driving barefoot

1) flashing lights to warn of a speed trap

Why should any of these things be illegal?

Replies (10)

• Keying cars that are badly parked works better.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Dec 18, 2014, at 5:57 PM
  • They should be illegal so government, local, state or central can have reason to expand and the people that get the laws passed can feel good about themselves for 'making a difference'.

Making a difference ranks right up there with 'giving back',.... you didn't make that!

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Dec 18, 2014, at 7:31 PM
  • Squaredancing in a roundhouse

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Thu, Dec 18, 2014, at 8:31 PM
  • Justin Beiber.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Dec 18, 2014, at 8:45 PM
  • Just a beaver it takes to cause global warming.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Dec 18, 2014, at 9:05 PM
  • We need a law making speedometers in cars to read true regardless of level. I did a lot of driving today and every time the car pointed uphill the meter read less and every time the car leaned downward the meter read higher, sometimes to indicate over the lawful limit.

There also should be a law to make windshields that don't distort when the angle is changed. Every time the windshield was tilted downward, the view was distorted and when tilted upward it became clearer.

I guess one benefit of a lousy windshield is noticing that picket fence along the right side that came into view only when the windshield was tilted downward.

And when did big trucks start playing leap frog, passing and then slowing down, at least they are courteous and honk a hello.

I'm taking the car into the shop and demanding an answer. Might even see if Joan Claybrook and Ralph Nader will join my cause.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Dec 18, 2014, at 10:45 PM
  • Using letters that are not pronounced when saying the word. Example: pneumonia

-- Posted by left turn on Sat, Dec 20, 2014, at 10:09 AM
  • Rick,

How does a chicken fly with boneless wings?

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sat, Dec 20, 2014, at 2:22 PM
  • People walking in the middle of the street

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Dec 21, 2014, at 3:35 PM
  • New York has taken a big step in the "We need a law for that?" department by banning "Tiger Selfies". In New York, beginning in February, it will be illegal to pose for photos with lions, tigers, and other big cats.

If you were planning on traveling to New York to have your tiger selfie taken, better do it quick!

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Dec 31, 2014, at 8:15 AM

Respond to this thread