Speak Out: Remember When?

Posted by Robert* on Sun, Sep 11, 2011, at 9:37 PM:

If you are dealing with twenty year olds who are in college or in their first job and seem to be having trouble communication with them, consider this. You may not speak the same language they do, even if you both call it english. They do not have the same life experience you do and probably do not remember when:

1.There was one phone in the house, it had a rotary dial, and you were on the party line.

2. The only way to see you photograph instantly was to use a Polaroid camera.

3. Pickup trucks had a three speed manual on the column, the windows had a crank, and a rubber floormat. (It wasn't cool to be seen in a pickup)

4. The only way to send a photograph to someone was by snail mail. (after sending it off to be developed)

5. Television had three networks, there was no such thing as MTV or cable, and the broadcast day ended before midnight.

6. add your favorites!

Replies (125)

• Television? What's that?

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Sep 12, 2011, at 5:17 AM
  • Rotary dial? When I was growing up the telephones didn't have dial, just a round plate where the rotaty dial would have been, with a white circle of paper in the middle with your four-digit phone number, preceded by a word and number - SHerwood 8 - XXXX was your phone number in New Madrid.

When you picked up the phone, the operator answered and you told her to whom you wanted to speak. She connected you, there was no dialing.

To call long distance, you told the operator the number you wanted to call, and she tried to get them on the phone. If she couldn't get them right away, you hung up and waited by the phone. She called you back when she got hold of them. Of course, we children didn't make any long distance calls ourselves in those days, but we had to wait by the phone with the rest of the family when distant relatives were being contacted. I remember waiting for the call backs to come through, so we could go outside and play once uncle so-and-so or aunt so-and-so had been contacted.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Sep 12, 2011, at 8:43 AM
  • Later, when we got dial phones, you only had to dial the four numbers to call in town, and then later you had to dial the '8' and the four numbers. I think seven-digit dialing came along about the same time as touch-tone phones.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Sep 12, 2011, at 8:44 AM
  • A record player...when you had to get up off the couch and turn the album over to Side B. Or taping a nickel to the arm to keep the needle from skipping.

-- Posted by travellin man on Mon, Sep 12, 2011, at 8:54 AM
  • A record player that you had to wind up and pick the best used needle you had to play the old 78s

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Sep 12, 2011, at 9:38 AM
  • Having to go to that little building out in the pasture in the middle of the night.

-- Posted by Acronym on Mon, Sep 12, 2011, at 10:32 AM
  • These are all good but when I started I was considering how much had changed in the past twenty years. When you think about it, the world has really changed in that period of time.

-- Posted by Robert* on Mon, Sep 12, 2011, at 10:45 AM
  • For some of those I am pretty sure you would have to go back more than twenty years.

I do understand your point though. I remember the consternation of my son when one year while on a hunting trip my son pick up a radio station with his kind of music and it turned out to be a classic rock or more commonly known as geezer rock.

I do know people who were still using out houses twenty years ago; depends on where you live.

-- Posted by Acronym on Mon, Sep 12, 2011, at 10:56 AM
  • Remember when the remote control was the youngest child in the room?

-- Posted by Robert* on Mon, Sep 12, 2011, at 12:23 PM
  • There wasn't instant and easy access to every thing you can imagine. (good and bad) No facebook, internet, online predators, cell phones. If you had a problem with someone, you had to face them head on. Not hide behind a computer screen anonymously! Very few were actually proud of living off the system and even when someone was disabled, government assistance was the last resort, not the first thought. Just a few things that I have seen change in the last twenty years. Most of them I wouldn't call progress :(

-- Posted by all_i_hear_is_blah_blah on Mon, Sep 12, 2011, at 12:34 PM
  • Twenty years ago, a phone was used to talk to people.

Today the twenty and under crowd use a phone for internet access and to text message, seldom to talk.

-- Posted by Robert* on Mon, Sep 12, 2011, at 2:14 PM
  • Still had a few service stations and some had maps.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Sep 12, 2011, at 2:35 PM
  • 'Service' station; that is sooooooo out of date!

-- Posted by Robert* on Mon, Sep 12, 2011, at 4:22 PM
  • I remember that Rick. 29.9 c/gal gas and that was high. Staying out until the porch light came on to call me home and no one was worrying that someone would take me or I would run off. Not going to McDonalds for dinner because it was being fixed at home. Really, we didn't even have one. Going out to dinner was something we just didn't do. If we "went out", it was to my grandparent's house.

-- Posted by Knoblickian on Mon, Sep 12, 2011, at 8:15 PM
  • My first phone number (in Farmington) that I can remember started with PL6. Just had to dial the 6 and then the last 4 to get through to who you were calling. People don't believe me when I tell them that.

-- Posted by Knoblickian on Mon, Sep 12, 2011, at 8:20 PM
  • Ate my first McDonald's hamburger when I was 18 and could pay for it myself. Don't know that I ever ate out before then unless you count a piece of pie at the coffee shop with my Dad.............and that was rare!

-- Posted by Robert* on Mon, Sep 12, 2011, at 8:21 PM
  • Drive in with seating inside for 15 cent hamburgers coming and drive in theaters going.

23 channels out, 40 channels in.

Cordless phones a sign of success replaced by bag phones, a sign of status.

Type writers out, word processors in for a short time, then desk top computers.

Tricycles out, big wheels in.

Barber shops going, stylists coming.

Digital watches in, wind up watches out..

Self winding watches out, battery powered in.

4x4 trucks still in but, dualies new.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Sep 12, 2011, at 11:09 PM
  • The days before sound systems; high school and community dances with live bands!

-- Posted by Robert* on Tue, Sep 13, 2011, at 7:34 AM
  • Having a paper route,

drinking from a garden hose,

riding in the back of a pick-up and not having to worry about getting pulled over,

lawn darts,

walking or riding your bike everywhere and not yelling that it was child abuse,

no cable TV, three channels on a good day, two the rest of the time,

I can remeber when we got our first color TV....

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Tue, Sep 13, 2011, at 8:03 AM
  • Pull tabs on beer/soda cans.

Walking the streets and roads collecting soda bottles to turn in for the deposit money in order to buy packs of baseball cards with a stick of gum.(most often purchased at the local confectionary, this before convenience stores existed.)

Morning and evening editions of the newspaper.

The evening paperboy walking the neighborhood with the little wooden cart full of papers hollering as he went, Pooooooost PaaaaaaaayPerer!,Pooooooost PaaaaaaaayPerer!. Paperboy pay equaled 5 cents per paper sold.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Tue, Sep 13, 2011, at 4:08 PM
  • Get your Grit here!

Youngest school bus riders taking turns next to the driver and operating the stop sign.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Sep 13, 2011, at 4:16 PM
  • Bicycles with banana seats, sissy bars, and ape hanger handlebars.

Spin the bottle.

Indian Ball

Sandlot Baseball/Football

Cork Ball

Sling Shots

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Tue, Sep 13, 2011, at 5:01 PM
  • Leisure suits.

Dress shoes other than black or brown.

Neru jackets and turtle necks.

Checkered trousers.

Halter tops!!!!!!!!:)

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Sep 13, 2011, at 5:22 PM
  • Ahh yes, the checkered pants with wide white belt and white dress shoes.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Tue, Sep 13, 2011, at 6:09 PM
  • Bell bottom pants, tie dye shirts, flat top hair cuts, Good TV programs not 80 channels of junk. LP records 33/45 rpm. 8-track, playing outside until the street lights came on. the city fogging for mosquitos.

And on and on and on.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Wed, Sep 14, 2011, at 6:48 AM
  • Pickup trucks were for work?

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Sep 14, 2011, at 7:22 AM
  • A dollar's worth of gas was not an unusual request.

A candy bar was big enough to share.

Cherry Coke at the drug store.

The Dime Store.

Plop-plop Alka-Selzer adds doubled sales.

Speed Kills. 55 and arrive alive.

Come on in..It's air conditioned, Kool cigarette logo on door meant air conditioned.

Mister Greenjeans.

Donna Douglas John Deere poster.

Dr Killdare.

Mr. Terrific. The invisable man. And when Blutto was Brutus.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Sep 14, 2011, at 9:11 AM
  • DON'T SQUEEZE THE CHARMIN

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Wed, Sep 14, 2011, at 9:42 AM
  • Nickel candy bars and ten cent sodas

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Sep 14, 2011, at 10:38 AM
  • Dean Martin, Jerry Reed shows, laugh in, Sonny and Cher, Porter Wagner and Dolly.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Wed, Sep 14, 2011, at 3:55 PM
  • Carol Burnett Show, The Big Picture, Perry Mason.

Anyone remember Flo the cab driver?

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Sep 14, 2011, at 5:48 PM
  • Mel and OJ seem to be about my age.

Favorite toys

Johnny Exress truck (Still have)

Johnny Eagle Rifle (broken by dads truck)

Johnny Seven One Man Army (broken by cousin)

Johnny Astro (still have in box)

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Sep 14, 2011, at 9:26 PM
  • School parking lot was full of pickup trucks (many with a shotgun in the rear window)

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Sep 14, 2011, at 9:32 PM
  • Gomer Pyle USMC

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Sep 14, 2011, at 9:33 PM
  • I still have my favorite toy, just don't seem to be inclined to play with it that much any more.

One of my cousins had a Mighty Mike and another had a Tonka bulldozer, I had brothers and sisters, cats and a dog.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Sep 14, 2011, at 9:39 PM
  • The Monkeys. Saw it a while back and cant figure out why it was funny. Roy Rodgers, Sky King, Lassie, and Jack Benny.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Sep 14, 2011, at 9:45 PM
  • Major Matt Mason of moon patrol, The sea devil action figure, GI JOE before hair and kung-fu grip, Big JIm and Big Josh. I still wish I had them all.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Thu, Sep 15, 2011, at 7:17 AM
  • Johnny West, Col. Custer, and Geronimo action figures. (Believe my brother still has his stored away somewhere)

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Thu, Sep 15, 2011, at 9:50 AM
  • "Oh! The real country sausage is the best you've ever tried.

"Look for me on the label of...Tennessee Pride!

"Take Hoooooome a package of Tennessee Pride!"

Loved those commercials. I also loved Gristo Feeds' Foghorn Leghorn-like character.

Benson & Hedges 100s topped the cigarette commercials, before they were banned.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Sep 15, 2011, at 9:05 PM
  • Shake & Bake

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Thu, Sep 15, 2011, at 9:29 PM
  • You people are too young for me.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Thu, Sep 15, 2011, at 3:32 PM

Give us time and we'll solve that too.

I guess this was meant to be a young folks remember.

It's so easy to blend the time lines of memory that sometimes I'm not sure if I'm old or young.

Maybe it's just me but I feel I can fit in what ever the age group.

Of course I realize a turd in a punch bowl has no idea of how the guests perceive such an encounter :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Sep 15, 2011, at 9:31 PM
  • Remember Dr. Kildare always lit up a smoke when coming out of the OR?

The Kool commercial that always followed Daniel Boone?

Johny Carson lighting up and always kept a cigarette lighter on his desk?

The way a the light from a lighter looked on black and white TV?

John Wayne ads showing him smoking?

No wonder we smoked.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Sep 16, 2011, at 12:51 AM
  • How about a Hawaiian Punch.

Winston tastes good .. Like a cigarette should ..

See the USA in a Chevrolet.

We make money the old fashion way, we earn it.

Pizza Pizza!

It's not your fathers Oldsmobile.

When better cars are built, Buick will build them!

An Aqua Velva man.

I liked is so much I bought the company.

That's what Ah said..Bunny Bread!

Here's your reward!

We have really big shew for you tonight.

And that's the name of that tune.

Is it live or is it Memorex?

And my favorite: It's Shake and Bake and I hepped!

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Sep 16, 2011, at 11:32 PM
  • "Old Spice. The reason women have long waited for their men to return from the sea."

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sat, Sep 17, 2011, at 8:18 AM
  • English Leather, if your going to work like a horse, you might as well smell like one. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Sep 17, 2011, at 9:22 AM
  • AMF Harley-Davidson :( :( :( :(

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sat, Sep 17, 2011, at 9:28 AM
  • Old John,

I think the English Leather add said "All my men wear English Leather, or they wear nothing at all", spoken by the attractive female model with the quasi-British accent.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sat, Sep 17, 2011, at 10:58 PM
  • Shapley, You are correct, those were the days of James Bond, today is the day of Old John trying to be funny.

Did they really dull down the razor blades to sell the more expensive newest model? :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Sep 17, 2011, at 11:20 PM
  • "From the land of sky blue water" A cartoon bear selling "Hamms" beer.....

The man from U.N.C.L.E.....

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 4:16 PM
  • Back before frisbees were invented, we used the lids from three pound coffee cans. The kind that had a key to open them. Of course, that was when a pound of coffee weighed 16 ounces!

-- Posted by Robert* on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 7:39 PM
  • Slinkys and Rubix Cubes

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 7:56 PM
  • AMF Harley-Davidson :( :( :( :(

-- Posted by DTower on Sat, Sep 17, 2011, at 9:28 AM

It was a good thing really. If AMF would not have bought them there would be no Harley Davidson today. I was a dumb 21 year old when I bought one. It broke down of the way home. They called them Hardly Driveables.

Regan really helped kept them from being slaughtered by the japs in 1983 that were trying to put them under with cheap bikes.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 8:03 PM
  • "We make money the old fashion way, we earn it."

I have had a few guys tell me they made theirs the old fashioned way.... they married it!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 8:38 PM
  • "Don said it would!"

-- Posted by Robert* on Mon, Sep 19, 2011, at 6:58 AM
  • John Wayne before the first episode of "Gun smoke" telling everyone why he did not take the part but recommended James Arness.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Mon, Sep 19, 2011, at 7:10 AM
  • Me'Lange,

I didn't research the frisbee. Thank you for your effort. As my world did not extend past Bollinger County at that time I assumed that the frisbee was invented in the early 1960's. Before that time I was limited to the Bollinger County frisbee. I was reminded of this because the kids were out in the yard amusing themselves with a lid from a tin of popcorn!

Now, whatever will I do with that particular bit of trivia?

-- Posted by Robert* on Mon, Sep 19, 2011, at 8:13 AM
  • And I would never date myself; I always preferred girls! :)

-- Posted by Robert* on Mon, Sep 19, 2011, at 8:14 AM
  • Wham-O copyrighted the name 'Frisbee' in 1957, but it wasn't until the 1964 redesign, producing a more controllable 'Frisbee', that sales took off.

Before 1957, the disk had been called the 'Pluto Platter'. The name 'Frisbie' was chosen because college kids had been calling them that, named after the pie pans made by the Frisbie Pie Company, whose pie pans could be used like a Frisbee.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Sep 19, 2011, at 9:58 AM
  • I guess curb finders and twin rear mounted antennas are further back than today's college students remember too.

May still be some fuzzy dice out there but I bet there's not too many cars with wind deflectors mounted on the windshield posts. Or traffic light moniters on the dash.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Sep 20, 2011, at 12:24 AM
  • Remember when cars did not come with cupholders? .........There were not convenience stores on every block and if you wanted a hamburger you had to go inside to order.......unless the restaurant had curb service?

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Sep 23, 2011, at 11:06 PM
  • Somebody may have mentioned this and I missed it, and I may be out of the time frame, but.....

You'll wonder where the yellow went

When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 24, 2011, at 10:48 AM
  • Rather fight than switch.

Frito Bandito.

Charley the tuna.

The iced tea plunge.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Sep 24, 2011, at 11:19 AM
  • Full service gas stations.

Pet rock.

No seat belts; laying on the top of the backseat in the window & drive-in theater.

Being outside playing for the whole day.

If I went inside @ sundown, I had to stay in; but if I pee'd in the bushes & didn't go in, I'd get to play til way after dark!

Being sad when my dog was sent to the farm.

The belt.

Tang.

Having mashed potato fights @ KFC (after hours).

-- Posted by commonsenz on Sat, Sep 24, 2011, at 11:29 AM
  • The Book Mobile!

-- Posted by commonsenz on Sat, Sep 24, 2011, at 11:30 AM
  • Life without velcro, post it notes or zip lock bags.

Bicycles with banana seats.

Clear plastic car seat and furniture covers.

Hollywood hair cuts and Hollywood exaust pipes.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Sep 24, 2011, at 11:58 AM
  • What ever happened to Jaun Valdez? Did he get caught up in the drug wars, maybe fired at or just fired by Folgers.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Oct 1, 2011, at 1:51 AM
  • Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco!

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Oct 1, 2011, at 10:21 AM
  • I'd rather fight than switch.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Oct 1, 2011, at 11:11 AM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Sat, Oct 1, 2011, at 11:22 AM
  • Burger King;

It takes two hands to hold a whopper!

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Oct 1, 2011, at 8:51 PM
  • TV ads showing a Bic pen fired into a board and still writting.

Archie on HEE HAW reciting his spoonerisms.

Was it Burger Chef where you got a plain burger and made it your way at the condiment bar?

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Oct 1, 2011, at 9:04 PM
  • Wasn't there a weekly mystery theater or am I thinking of Alfred Hitchcock. Seems I remember a weekly hour and a half show sometimes 1,2,or 3 stories.

Me'Lange, I've seen some women with hair that's been done for years! :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Oct 2, 2011, at 9:45 AM
  • Burger Chef had the fixins bar.

See the USA in your Chevrolet

Bring you car to the man with the star. The big bright Texaco Star.

Hallo everybody Hallo

I I YI YI YI I am the Frito Bandito

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Oct 2, 2011, at 11:47 AM
  • Baseball, apple pie, and Chevrolet!

-- Posted by Robert* on Sun, Oct 2, 2011, at 1:16 PM
  • 3 choices for 35 cents: School lunch with milk, hamburger, fries and a soda, or a 5 cent bag of Fritos, a big 10 cent candy bar and a soda.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Oct 2, 2011, at 7:00 PM
  • Gristo Feeds sponsored Don McNeely and KFVS-TV news. Do you remember the Gristo Feeds Rooster?

-- Posted by Robert* on Sun, Oct 2, 2011, at 7:11 PM
  • stnmsn8, I have a lighter with the Gristo Feeds rooster on it.

We all tuned in to the morning show to see what school class was going to sing. Dad also checked his watch with the clock in the studio and decided there was 3 minutes time difference between Paducah and Cape.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Oct 2, 2011, at 7:55 PM
  • I still have my favorite toy, just don't seem to be inclined to play with it that much any more.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Sep 14, 2011, at 9:39 PM

Good one, OJ. Took me a little while to get it.

-- Posted by Knoblickian on Sun, Oct 2, 2011, at 8:45 PM
  • 1965...put $1 worth of gas in the 62 chevy which was a little over 3 gallons. Went to the Rialto show and the across the street to Tony's pizza. Started out with $5 and change left over. This included my date.

Would go to Wib's BBQ on lunch hour (1 hour then) get a bbq and a Milde's soda (in glass bottle) for 35 cents. Now the tax would be 35 cents. Not to mention I worked at the service station for 60 cents per hour and was the envy of a lot of kids.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Sun, Oct 2, 2011, at 8:50 PM
  • howdy, Did your buddies offer to clean windshields to help you out? I remember the can that the oil spout rested in offered a cheaper choice when I was a quart and a dime low.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Oct 2, 2011, at 9:41 PM
  • Knoblickian, Move to the head of the class! :) :)

Pick-up sticks anyone?

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Oct 2, 2011, at 9:59 PM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 12:43 AM
  • I like the name, reminds me of John Wayne's buddy with the same name in the movie "Big Jake".

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 1:08 AM
  • Benson & Hedge's 100s

101s (Just a silly millimeter longer)

Virginia Slims (You've come a long way, baby!)

1 liter cola's (You get a quart and a liter bit more!).

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 8:24 AM
  • "Rotary dial? When I was growing up the telephones didn't have dial, just a round plate where the rotaty dial would have been, with a white circle of paper in the middle with your four-digit phone number, preceded by a word and number - SHerwood 8 - XXXX was your phone number in New Madrid."

Just happened to see this, don't know how I missed it before but......

Telephone?? My sister and I used two tomato cans and a string. Only phone on the farm!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 10:17 AM
  • Eating out was a meal at Grandma's on Sunday after church.

-- Posted by Robert* on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 10:21 AM
  • The seven minute cigarette.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Oct 5, 2011, at 3:07 AM
  • Starview drive in, Shakeys pizza, Burger chef, the adventures of chicken man,

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 3:04 PM
  • 12 oz Pepsi bottle. And it was glass too. You could take the empties to the neighborhood store and get a refund. Financed many a Saturday movie theater visit that way.

Alway wondered how the last chapter of the Monster and the Ape came out.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 8:08 PM
  • Shakey's pizza was my first. Loved going to Woolworth's and Otasco in Cape. I still remember the smell of Sterling's peanut roaster in Sikeston. I wish I had all of those 25 cent wind up toys Woolworth's had back then. It would have been a good investment. They sell for $50 and up in the box.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 8:30 PM
  • And thats the way is was...... Old Walter

Gas wars

The vegitable man driving down the street honking his horn

The slop man driving down the alley. Yuk.

Wolfman Jack

The Midnight Special

DR Kildare

The Secret Storm (They sure had some names for those shows)

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 9:40 AM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 10:00 AM
  • Mr Moose and the pingpong balls.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 10:37 AM
  • Rick, I hadn't heard that for ages. Were they the same ones that had the TV show? HEY HEY WE'RE THE MONKEYS!

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 12:11 AM
  • Wheels, I was thinking of the tin can phones and wondered if others remembered them.

We use to go to a relatives farm and play kick the can until it got dark and then it was hide and seek in the corn fields. Evenings were also spent outside chasing fireflies and looking at the moon and stars. Daytime you filled with laying on the ground and watching the clouds changed their shape. That was AFTER you worked in the garden, went to pick berries or helped bring in the hay.

I also remember 4th of July evening being spent of the roof of our house so we could see the fireworks in St Louis. Our idea of celebration included sparklers and if we were lucky, firecrackers.

-- Posted by LiveAnotherDay on Mon, Oct 17, 2011, at 1:47 AM
  • Oh, I also remember tricycles and bicycles. You were lucky if they were new cause that like clothes was usually hand me downs.

-- Posted by LiveAnotherDay on Mon, Oct 17, 2011, at 1:48 AM
  • Live Another Day

How about Hoop and Rollers?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Oct 17, 2011, at 8:40 AM
  • LiveAnotherDay wrote:

"Oh, I also remember tricycles and bicycles. You were lucky if they were new cause that like clothes was usually hand me downs."

True, but in those days they were made of real steel, and would last long enough to be handed down despite years of use and abuse. The plastic ones made today generally do not survive long enough to do so.

That lead-based paint used to preserve the steel well enough that it would last several generations...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Oct 17, 2011, at 9:52 AM
  • HOW TO CALL ANOTHER PARTY ON YOUR LINE

If you have a rural or four party line

1. Dial the listed number. 2. hang up immediatly, [both telephones will ring until the call is answered]. 3. When your telephone stops ringing, your party is on the line. Pick up the receiver and begin your conversation.

If you dial a number and get a busy signal and your own telephone begins to ring as soon as you hang up, you know that the called party is on your line. The above procedure should then be followed.

From my Benton-Oran, Missouri Telephone Directory

November, 1956

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 7:50 PM
  • OJ

I remember that at my Grandmas house.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 9:08 PM
  • Fire..Kingsdale 5-3515

POLICE .. kingsdale 5-3525

Standard Oil Company..COngress 2-3267

WHEN TELEPHONING...

SPEAK IN A NORMAL TONE

.It is unnessesary to shout. The instrument is tuned to a normal tone of voice and loud voices cause it to blur.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 9:27 PM
  • "Standard Oil Company..COngress 2-3267"

So, Congress was a tool of the corporations even back in 1956... ;)

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 9:31 PM
  • College meant living in Uncle Vern and Aunt Unice's basement apartment which was accessed through the main floor and coming in past 8pm required a whole lot of explaining.

Studying with friends of the other gender was restricted to Uncle Vern's library room and required sampling Aunt Unice's sugar cookies.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 27, 2011, at 10:42 PM
  • Mel

Forgot about dancing bear.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Oct 27, 2011, at 11:11 PM
  • World Series games were played in daylight! We took our transistor radios to school so we could listen.

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Oct 28, 2011, at 8:06 AM
  • Dizzy Dean

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Oct 28, 2011, at 10:54 AM
  • Green Acres

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Oct 28, 2011, at 9:20 PM
  • Gomer Pyle USMC

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Oct 29, 2011, at 8:33 AM
  • Did anyone say 'Wide White Wall Tires'?

If they did I apologize in advance for repeating.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Oct 29, 2011, at 9:33 AM
  • And baby moon hubcaps to set off those wide white walls!

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Oct 29, 2011, at 12:13 PM
  • Chrome wheels and baby moons.

Dual rear mounted antennas.

Hollywood mufflers.

Royal Purple oil.

Red stripe sidewalls.

Green stamps.

Cups and such in detergent boxes.

Gas station stamps for flatware.

Good free stuff with a new gas card.

Lightening rods, antenna rotor motors, and bibles available at your front door.

Gambles Hardware stores.

Clinton lawn mower engines.

Plastic pink flamingos everywhere.

Weekly club meetings.

Bicycling to the frozen food locker in town to get meat for company dinner.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Oct 29, 2011, at 11:19 PM
  • Slow down Old John, you're gonna have a mental hernia!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Oct 29, 2011, at 11:30 PM
  • Wheels, You figured me out. The brain overload happened today as I was at an auction with two rings going. Had my eye on just a few items I wanted to buy but also was curious what some other key items sold for.

In some ways the economy must be better than I thought because every thing I wanted sold high. On the other hand a lot of stuff I thought was out of my reach and didn't bid on went cheap.

I checked my horescope before I went and have decided being supersticious is bad luck.:)

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Oct 30, 2011, at 12:04 AM
  • Hooterville Junction

-- Posted by stuff.

The name of that show was Petticoat Junction. It took place in the town of Hooterville which I always thought was hilarious because the first scene during the title sequence shows three young girls skinny dipping in a water tower!

-- Posted by Data48 on Sun, Oct 30, 2011, at 8:21 AM
  • -- Posted by Data48 on Sun, Oct 30, 2011, at 8:21 AM

You can't forget Granny's main boyfriend, Mr. Drucker.

Then you have the famous rock thrower. "It's me it's me, it's Ernest T."

Another one of my favorites is the local town drunk, Otis Campbell. I'm thinking my mom should have named me Otis.

I almost forgot about this guy. From Wiki: "The Douglases' childless elderly neighbors, Fred and Doris Ziffel, "adopted" a pig named Arnold Ziffel as their "son". Arnold understands English, lives indoors, and is pampered. Arnold is an avid TV watcher and a Western fan, who attends the local grade school (carries book pack in mouth). Only Oliver seems cognizant that Arnold is just livestock, although he frequently slips and begins treating him as a boy. Arnold makes regular appearances throughout the series, often visiting the Douglas farm to watch their TV."

You have to love that pig.

-- Posted by SpankyTheTanky on Sun, Oct 30, 2011, at 9:28 AM
  • Double-Cola, and Ski with the pulp in the bottom from Pappy's (Baker's) Pop Shop on N. Kingshighway for $0.15 per 12oz bottle.

Swimming at the Trail of Tears quarry.

Black Magic mufflers on Jeeps.

The police station with stained glass windows.

The 314 area code, and the Cape prefix of EDgewater.

The only things west of I-55 were the Texaco station and Howard Johnson's.

William Street being two lane, and the lament of many on the trees felled and hills flattened to widen it.

The street car rails on Independence that caused headaches and road rash for motorcycle riders, or maybe it was just me?

Naugles, across from the Taco Belch on Broadway. Coleman's BBQ before that? The tremendously high retaining wall around the place using railroad ties.

The race track at Arena Park.

The Conservation Area / nature trail walking path and pond at Hawthorn (Clippard) school.

Asbestos insulation being viewed as a good thing.

Southeast Missouri State COLLEGE.

Launching the Jeep into the air going across the tracks on William Street by Indian Park.

Clapping mirrors with a passing vehicle or scrubbing the tire sidewalls while going across that boogie bridge.

Willie Nelson with short hair.

Sunny Hill milk delivered to the doorstep.

SEMissourian paper boys running their routes and coming around to collect. Delivering during the great snow of '78 - whew!

Missouri's bicentennial (1976) license plate designed by a SEMO prof. Getting new vehicle tags every year - I would say the green on yellow tags for trucks one year was simply 'ick'.

Getting out of school Thursday afternoons to go to the SEMO fair.

Fish on Fridays at Al's Midtown.

U-Pump on Independence - Cape's first self-service gas station?

The gas station on the corner of William and Sheridan trying to sell fuel by the liter.

Hirsch's grocery store - the quarter snack - buy a canned soda from the machine for $0.15, and use the change to get a bag of chips inside for a dime, which was not enough to be charged sales tax.

Sledding on the hood of a car, being pulled around by another car. Safety first! :-)~

-- Posted by fxpwt on Sun, Oct 30, 2011, at 6:30 PM
  • Police cars had a bubble gum machine on top.

City police cars were black and white.

There was a beat cop on Main Street.

Parking meters every where.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Oct 31, 2011, at 11:45 AM
  • Reelfoot comes to Cape, starts buying livestock. Burger King built at K and Mt Auburn. 25 years ago.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Oct 31, 2011, at 11:58 AM
  • Building that houses Burger KIng now on Mt. Auburn was originally a Big Chef, was it not?

-- Posted by Robert* on Mon, Oct 31, 2011, at 12:36 PM
  • Stnmsn8, Not sure, I think the Hardees on William was.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Oct 31, 2011, at 12:45 PM
  • IIRC, Burger Chef was where Hardees is now on William St.

Jon-Boy's predated the Burger King at Mt. Auburn and William.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Mon, Oct 31, 2011, at 4:49 PM
  • The street car rails on Independence that caused headaches and road rash for motorcycle riders, or maybe it was just me?

No... I did it too. It was fast and it hurt!

Swimming at the Trail of Tears quarry.

Yup. Cut my foot one time making it hard to get back up the hill to the car.

Launching the Jeep into the air going across the tracks on William Street by Indian Park.

Did it on my first Harley first day I owned it. Bent wheel. Rode it back down to Minors and they gave me a new wheel.

When you got into a fight with somebody, you would use your fist. if you won, you won, if you lost you lost, but you didn't have to worry about a drive by being done on your home later on that night!

No but you had to worry about their big brother catching you a week later.

Those where the days......

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Oct 31, 2011, at 6:38 PM
  • Heheheh - I used to have a Harley. Of course, I lose almost all respect when I tell 'em it was one of these - http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1975-harley-davidson-ss-250.htm

But with all due credit - it would outrun any other bike of the same displacement - even while hauling my excessive gravitational pull around.

Thanks to Arlo Guthrie for an appropriate theme song of the time - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g266Uwp6ZnI

-- Posted by fxpwt on Mon, Oct 31, 2011, at 7:02 PM
  • FX

I think they have one of those at Black Diamond on display.

And this song was mine.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs9gYJXM2IA&feature=related

When this came out it changed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFjqlx8eSfQ&feature=related

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Oct 31, 2011, at 9:06 PM
  • fxpwt, I had an older model Yamaha and it's easy to see the resemblence in the Harley.

Regret, Suprised the lap top sounds that tune pretty well. I didn't know so many groups played it either. I'm a bit partial to the Johnny Cash version but the opening strings on the this one is awesome.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Oct 31, 2011, at 11:25 PM

Respond to this thread