Speak Out: Old Farmer's Almanac: Global cooling to continue

Posted by blogbudsman on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 10:43 AM:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100908/ap_on_re_us/us_old_farmer_s_almanac

In general, the almanacs' weather predictions are similar. The "Farmers' Almanac" predicts that it'll be cold but nothing like last winter.

"Overall, it looks like it's going to be a kinder and gentler winter, especially in the areas that had a rough winter last year," said managing editor Sandi Duncan.

But the almanacs' forecasts are at odds with the National Weather Service's long-range outlook for the meteorological winter, which runs from December through February.

NOAA's Climate Prediction Center anticipates a warmer-than-normal winter for the mid-Atlantic and Southeast and colder-than-normal weather in the Northwest. That puts it at odds with the almanac.

Ed O'Lenic from NOAA's Climate Prediction Center said the scientific community doesn't accept tides, planetary alignment and sunspots as effective predictors of temperature or precipitation, but he stopped short of being critical of the almanac's meteorological methods.

Stillman said, however, she's confident about the weather predictions in the "Old Farmer's Almanac" because they tend to be 80 to 85 percent accurate --

Replies (12)

• I'm curious to see which of the Gore Adore crowd Poo Pahs the Old Farmer's Almanac!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 11:36 AM
  • It's too early for wooley worms and persimmons.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 1:48 PM
  • wooley worms

Saw one Monday Mowrangler.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 1:49 PM
  • I read the tea leaves in my cup this morning. They said beware the Ides of March.

-- Posted by FriendO on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 2:10 PM
  • FriendO wrote:

"I read the tea leaves in my cup this morning. They said beware the Ides of March."

Hmmm. Maybe I read mine wrong. I thought it said "Beware the March of Ids". I thought it had to do with Freudian subconsciouses on the move...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 2:36 PM
  • I am sure russia and canada are hoping this is true they have been very hot this year

-- Posted by futile_rant on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 3:18 PM
  • Well Wheels how much black did it have on it? Enquiring minds want to know.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 3:28 PM
  • Mowrangler,

Only got a brief look at it but it was pretty dark. Never thought a lot about it at the moment as I had two Grandkids needing attention.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 5:25 PM
  • My fortune cookie read, "Help! I am being held captive in a Chinese laundromat.".

I did find a wooley worm on Sunday. It was a burnt orange - no stripes.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 6:12 PM
  • Where is Helen Woolslager (That spelling is definitely not correct)when you need her?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 6:33 PM
  • JMO, of course, but man-made global warming is a bunch of hooey. Technical term there, FriendO and rant. Cyclic. Cyclic. Cyclic.

Of course I could repeat that until the end of time and it doesn't make it true. Same with the opposite. It is vanity to think that we can affect this globe enough to change the weather pattern irreversibly or even a little.

Again, opinion, so who cares.

-- Posted by Knoblickian on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 7:07 PM
  • Knob - unfortunately, it's the opinion of the masses, and the resulting effects at the polls and in the legislature towards this issue which may pose a hazard, er, upcoming proposed 'change for the better', to the current way of life.

Could this issue become an example for future reference, where making a proposed change based on uncertain and indefinite data may turn out worse in total than no change at all?

If the die-hard greenies will pardon me - there's some sand over there missing a head. :-)~

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, Sep 8, 2010, at 7:59 PM

Respond to this thread