Speak Out: Require English

Posted by FOXTROT007 on Thu, Nov 12, 2015, at 6:02 PM:

English is still a requirement for citizenship in the U.S.A. Back in the 1960s, my new English sister-in-law had to pass an English test after being here for a year as a requirement for citizenship. English is the international language of most things, including aviation, science, education, and business. So why are we as a country spending millions, if not billions to require federal agencies and businesses to provide forms and other publications in about every language represented at the U.N.? Why should business be shackled with the expense of being multilingual? I would favor providing free comprehensive English instruction to all legal immigrants, in return for strict enforcement of the English requirement. A year should be enough to become proficient, but let's be fair and extend the offer indefinitely. Fluent English should be a requirement for employment. While being bilingual is a huge asset, and should be more heavily emphasized in our schools, we as a society have progressed because of a common language. Without it, divisions and cultural conflicts are inevitable.

Replies (6)

• You want to live in my U.S.A., learn to speak English on your own dime, otherwise you will always be a disadvantaged outsider. There are plenty of charity minded folks to help you.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 12, 2015, at 6:23 PM
  • If I was planning to migrate to another country, I think that I would learn to speak their language before leaving my current country.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Thu, Nov 12, 2015, at 6:40 PM
  • I've related this before, the time at the license bureau when I saw a guy taking his test with the aid of a tax paid interpreter. I hope he didn't drive past the detour sign and plunge into a river somewhere.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 12, 2015, at 7:58 PM
  • The world is absolutely moving towards doing business in English This is something I certainly agree with. All of this diversity BS we have going on is not helping these people melt into the mainstream.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Thu, Nov 12, 2015, at 9:26 PM
  • Since I was not required to learn Cherokee, I would not impose English on another. It is possible to survive and thrive in some areas, such as the Chinatowns, Koreatowns, Japantowns, Hawaii, Alaska, and the Barrios of some cities, without a need to speak English. So, no, I don't think such a requirement ought to exist.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Nov 12, 2015, at 10:27 PM
  • A requirement? I don't see it as a requirement for citizenship but I don't see it the responsibility of taxpayers to pay for the teaching.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 12, 2015, at 11:28 PM

Respond to this thread