Speak Out: Are PB&J Sandwiches Racist?

Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Nov 22, 2013, at 7:40 PM:

You know, people have had about enough of all of this racist garbage. It's time to put a stop to language that excludes others. Take the mention of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for example.

One school administrator began the school year cracking down on exclusive language. Verenice Gutierrez, principal of Harvey Scott K-8 School in Portland, Oregon, hears subtle racism every day. And that's just plain wrong. She explained to the Portland Tribune in September how a simple example of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in a classroom indicated "white privilege".

"What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches? Another way would be to say: 'Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?' Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita." (source)

There was no mention in the article whether the teacher was talking about sandwiches on white bread or whole wheat bread.

Guttierrez , along with the other principals in Portland, are part of a district-wide initiative to examine the lack of racial equity in the school system. The program is called Courageous Conversations.

Through intensive staff trainings, frequent staff meetings, classroom observations and other initiatives, the premise is that if educators can understand their own "white privilege," then they can change their teaching practices to boost minority students' performance.

Last Wednesday, the first day of the school year for staff, for example, the first item of business for teachers at Scott School was to have a Courageous Conversation -- to examine a news article and discuss the "white privilege" it conveys.

Like many if not all of PPS' leaders, Gutierrez has gone through California-based consultant Glenn Singleton's "Coaching for Educational Equity," a weeklong seminar on race and how it affects life; she's also become an "affiliate," certified to teach the equity curriculum; and she serves on the district's administrative committee to address systematic racism, a group that meets every other week.

"Our focus school and our Superintendent's mandate that we improve education for students of color, particularly Black and Brown boys, will provide us with many opportunities to use the protocols of Courageous Conversations in data teams, team meetings, staff meetings, and conversations amongst one another," Guitierrez' letter to staff reads. (source)

The program is based on a book by Glenn E. Singleton: Courageous Conversations About Race: A Field Guide for Achieving Equity in Schools. This example of political correctness run amok is racing across the country (oops -- can I say racing or is that racist?) in the form of "summits" for educators. According to the St. Louis summit website, it's subtle racism that is causing a disparity between white kids and non-white kids.

In 2010, a study released by the Council of the Great City Schools stated that by fourth grade, only 12% of Black male students read at or above grade level, while 38% of White males do. By eighth grade, the numbers fall to 9% for Black males, and 33% for Whites.

The Alliance for Excellent Education recently reported that barely half of African-American and Latino students graduate from high school, with Latinos graduating at 56% and African-Americans at 54%, as compared to their White counterparts at 77%.

National Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) scores have revealed that low-income White students consistently outperform middle and upper income Black and Latino students.

The statistics are stark and revealing, and our task as educators is undeniable: We must continue to engage in honest, unapologetic conversations about racial disparities in education and effective ways in which to unlock the untapped potential of children of color. (source)

The Pacific Education Group is also on board with the summits. Here is their goal:

Each October, PEG brings together dedicated racial equity leaders from throughout the U.S. and around the world to engage in a deepened conversation about systemic racism and its impact on opportunity and achievement for all students. The National Summit for Courageous Conversation is uniquely designed for educators, civic and community leaders, and other professionals who are committed to elevating individual/organizational racial consciousness and eradicating racial disparities that are predictably evident in academic achievement. (source)

I have this really cool idea that would help raise test scores across the board. What if....and this is revolutionary....the teacher's just TAUGHT. What if kids learned math, science, and English? What if the schools scrapped the Common Core curriculum and focused on teaching all of the kids their lessons until they understood them, and then moved on to the next unit, instead of covering each section for a designated time and then moving on to the next one, regardless of whether or not the students understood the first lesson? What if the schools stopped trying to brainwash children about the dangers of guns, the language of racism, and all of the politically correct baloney that they spend more time on than the Three Rs?

Oh wait. They can't do that. That would create independent thinkers and intelligent adults. Their entire plan to subjugate the population would be ruined. Whatever was I thinking? Please, by all means, continue shaming children into political correctness by indicating that the contents of their lunch boxes are racist. We definitely can't continue on our path of "white privilege" by considering typically American cultural norms...normal.

Extreme political correctness is destroying the public school system, the only chance for education for many children whose parents can't or won't homeschool. Imaginary offenses create an atmosphere of shame and fear. The better to control you with, my dear

From Lew Rockwell

- See more at: http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/portland-school-cracks-down-on-racist-pbj-sandwi...

Replies (24)

• Thought I was reading a parody from The Onion. What's a guy to do? I like the cheap Neopoliton ice cream mix of vanilla,chocolate and strawberry. I guess I'll eat about 80% vanilla for the Caucasians,13% chocolate for Blacks and 7% of the strawberry to represent Native Americans,Asians,etc then throw the rest out. Can't play favorites. Hope no ones checking my trash.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Fri, Nov 22, 2013, at 10:08 PM
  • These people need some serious help.

-- Posted by mo55 on Fri, Nov 22, 2013, at 10:12 PM
  • It's been a long time since I was in school or had a child in school so my thought on the subject is based only on what I think I know.

Seems schools are more concerned with teaching the tests than actually imparting knowledge to children and inspiring them to want to learn and think for themselves.

There was a time when public education was embraced nationwide and that was during an age of a growing industrial nation that needed not inventers and inovaters but workers. During that era, emphasis of teaching was toward the basics of a tradesman career.

I think thus the qualifications of teachers dimenished and with the influx of all the policical correct garbage, we are where we are.

Do high schools teach history anymore?

No Child Left Behind and Race to the Top are preparing students for the tests, not teaching in my book.

We need teachers trained propery and compensated properly; maybe take a look at Finland where 'would-be educators compete for coveted spots in a government-supported training program that comes complete with a living stipend. Those that make it through the program are highly respected and are given a large degree of control over the cirriculum.' [Sir Ken Robinson (Do Schools Kill Creativity?)]

Yes that means more power to the teacher and less government directives protecting social equality.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Nov 22, 2013, at 11:41 PM
  • How about teachers worry about all students understanding reading, writing, and arithmetic?...would this be a bad thing?

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 9:26 AM
  • What is it about a pb&j sandwich being racist that these students need to understand?

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 9:35 AM
  • FFF, "What about Somali or Hispanic students,....

Teachers so bent on race should first realize these are American students.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 9:50 AM
  • It all depends on what kind of jelly .

-- Posted by Diseased Turtle on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 11:08 AM

How about watermellon jelly?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 12:00 PM
  • A PB&J sandwich is a sign of privelege????? Now I've heard it all.

If a poor minority student doesn't understand what a PB&J sandwich is, all the teacher has to do is explain to them that it is two pieces of bread with peanut butter (invented by a black guy, George Washington Carver) and jelly spread between the two pieces of bread.

A PB&J sandwich is a sign of privilege? Wow!!!

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 12:51 PM
  • In the most profound study of the subject I have concluded exposing immigrant students to anything unknown to them represents racism and should be prohibited, therego all schools should be closed to children other than those that look like me!

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 12:51 PM
  • The new education:

1960s ARITHMETIC TEST: "A logger cuts and sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is four-fifths of that amount. What is his profit?"

'70s new-math test: "A logger exchanges a set (L) of lumber for a set (M) of money. The cardinality of Set M is 100. The Set C of production costs contains 20 fewer points. What cardinality of Set P of profits?"

'80s "dumb down" version: "A logger cuts and sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost is $80, his profit is $20. Find and circle the number 20."

'90s version: "An unenlightened logger cuts down a beautiful stand of 100 trees in order to make a $20 profit. Write an essay explaining how you feel about this as a way to make money. Topic for discussion: How did the forests and squirrels feel?"

-- Posted by rocknroll on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 1:32 PM
  • WOW !! groucho, he certainly is a powerful man.

-- Posted by left turn on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 4:29 PM
  • What's wrong with teaching them what bread and peanut butter are?

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 9:23 PM
  • My kids never ate chittlins and wouldn't know what they were. Were they discriminated against?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 10:16 PM
  • Wheels, If your family never ate chittlins and you emigrated to a country where chittlins were a popular food, you and your family whould be expected to know what chittlins are whether you eat them or not.

Rocknroll, My dad's early last century math book used practical examples of farm and logging math for most all ciphering. Reckon that was discrimination against city kids that may have moved to the country? :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 11:00 PM
  • If someone used chitlins in an example and didn't try to help them understand, yes, they were.

-- Posted by miccheck on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 10:29 PM

Liberal, leftist, BS!

They were inquisitive youngsters.... if they wanted to know they would have researched it and found out for themselves.

I am happy they learned how to read and write and do math. Graduating in the upper end of the class was good enough for me. I didn't see the need for someone explaining what an ethnic food was. I have been in a good number of countries around the world and received a great education on different food types of others, some good some not so much.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 11:05 PM
  • "Wheels, If your family never ate chittlins and you emigrated to a country where chittlins were a popular food, you and your family whould be expected to know what chittlins are whether you eat them or not."

Old John,

How long do you think it would take me to learn what chitlins were, if or not I would eat them. Holding a good pork sausage together, after they are cleaned thoroughly by a good German/Dutch woman on butchering day was about the only edible use I could think of for them.

I see no reason to spend a semester or two worrying about what different people ate. White privilege gave me the privilege of eating blood sausage, and black eyed peas and hog jowl and a few other delicacies that some people would turn their nose up at..

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 11:49 PM
  • Wheels, So if your math teacher proposed a question such as: "A pound of chittlins feeds 100 people when stuffed with 25 lbs of sausage, what is the average serving size in lbs?", would your momma claim that a racist question? :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Nov 24, 2013, at 12:15 AM
  • You're still assuming student understand what bread and peanut butter are. What's wrong with relating it to food they are more familiar with?

-- Posted by miccheck on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 8:22 PM

I think I have heard it all now. You are going to say with a straight face that a foreign born student, somehow makes it all the way to a American classroom without any knowledge of what bread is? If that is the case a "normal" classroom setting may not be the place for the child at that time. I think you may have stretched this beyong the breaking point.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 11:58 AM
  • If someone used chitlins in an example and didn't try to help them understand, yes, they were.

-- Posted by miccheck on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 10:29 PM

That is racist!

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 3:49 PM
  • Who taught my kids how to budget? I did. Who taught them to save when they are young and what the payout is? Me! Why? Because the schools are too busy playing pansy games with race. They should be teaching survival since the kids are going to be strapped with all of the debt on the money being squandered for votes.

You liberals are a bunch of idiots.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 3:55 PM
  • I had a Buffalo chicken and Swiss on Italian herb yesterday at Subway. Now I feel like a Nazi.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 9:53 AM
  • I listened as I worked last night to some food show about exotic foods, most of which I would never put in my mouth and a lot of which I had not heard of before.

I came to the conclusion that I was definitely the victim of racism as I was growing up and getting my education in rural Bollinger County..... none of these foods had been explained to me and how they differed from the blood sausage, the pork jowl, sow belly and turnips I learned to crave.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 9:59 AM
  • Simon, atleast with the Swiss on your sandwich you could claim to be neutral even though everyone knows you're still a Nazi.

Wheels,

I just noticed that the only time I comment on these forums any more is when food is in the subject. I wonder what that says about me?

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 11:20 AM
  • Wheels,

I just noticed that the only time I comment on these forums any more is when food is in the subject. I wonder what that says about me?

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 11:20 AM

Hmmmm! Maybe that we could both do with a little less of it! ;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 1:31 PM

Respond to this thread