Speak Out: Building Fences

Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 10:49 AM:

BC

I read that, it was not very comforting!

I try to be optimistic and keep looking for the pony I always wanted in the Government Pile of Horse Manure.... but it is getting to look less likely that I am ever going to find him.

Replies (22)

• BC,

It will be interesting to see how Obama responds to the vote of confidence that I see the secession movement being. I guess maybe we will see how they use all that amunition that reports have been saying the feds have been stockpiling.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 10:57 AM
  • I remember a Russian professor predicting the break up of the US. I believe he predicted it would come in 2010.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 11:03 AM
  • Wheels, Look for that pony UNDER the pile of manure. That which government produces is overwhelmed by the costly bureacracy required to accomplish the task.

-- Posted by Robert* on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 11:19 AM
  • Republican party should propose destruction of the fence on the southern border and elimination of the border patrol, ICE, etc. If we are going to have openborders and unlimited 'immigration' let's at least be honest about it.

-- Posted by Robert* on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 11:24 AM
  • We should annex Mexico. They already control their Southern border.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 11:28 AM
  • -- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 11:28 AM

I always thought it was funny when the press would print statements from the president of Mexico criticizing US immigration policy.

As I understand it, southern Mexico border enforcement results in a lot of deaths. They are ruthless in protecting their southern border yet criticize us.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 12:05 PM
  • "They already control their Southern border."

Huh? Their border is about a quarter the length of their northern border and the most of it is impenetrable jungle.

"According to Mexico's National Commission on Human Rights (CNDH), 500,000 people from Central America cross into Mexico illegally every year -- the vast majority of them attempting to reach the United States. In addition, smugglers reportedly use the Suchiate River to move goods across the international border without paying duty taxes."

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 5:27 PM
  • "The Weekly Standard's petition to President Obama on those who petition for their states secession..."

Dumb and dumber. No matter which you consider first.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 5:29 PM
  • BC,

I can't even move freely in my own community. There was a huge "spot check" in Dutchtown this evening at rush hour courtesy of the Gestapo, er, Missouri State Highway Patrol.

"Papers please".

Land of sheep, and the home of the slave

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 6:28 PM
  • Speaking of the D of I, I always liked the line about "standing armies". The police are the 21st century equivilant of a standing army.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 6:30 PM
  • BC,

I am proud to be an Amerikan! USSA! USSA! USSA!

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 6:42 PM
  • "Huh? Their border is about a quarter the length of their northern border and the most of it is impenetrable jungle."

Typical of the left. No sense of humour.

Do you really think I want us to annex Mexico? If the problem is illegal immigrants wanting citizenship, how does granting the whole nation citizenship help solve that?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 8:09 PM
  • It would help our oil situation, though...

Maybe we could annex Canada, while we're at it.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 8:10 PM
  • Maybe we could annex Canada, while we're at it. -- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 8:10 PM

NO - then we would have to call our breakfast meat "Canadian Bacon" and we'd have to say "eh?" after every sentence, eh? :-)

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 8:16 PM
  • Over twenty years back I read a tounge in cheek editorial touting a plan to buy Canada. Every Canadian would be wealthy for the price and the U.S. would own all resources on Canadian government lands while IRS taxes got the purchase price back.

I've yet to read the links posted so I will restrain from offering my highly respected and superior opinion on the subject of the post. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 8:24 PM
  • It would appear to me that the Petition to strip citizenship might be an answer for those on the waiting list to get approved to have their citizenship stripped from them.

They would then be free from paying U.S. taxes. The fruit cakes that started that one might be careful lest they get what they wished for.

And I believe that is somewhere close to where this thread started.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 8:35 PM
  • Wheels, I think you are on to something. A whole bunch of new untaxed voters!

What's citizenship got to do with voting? Who made that stupid rule anyway?

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 8:53 PM
  • Dumb and dumber. No matter which you consider first.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 5:29 PM

There are those the try to see that America stays in line and then there are the leaches that suck the life out of it.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 10:58 PM
  • "then we would have to call our breakfast meat "Canadian Bacon"

Actually, I think the Canadians just call it 'Bacon' up there... ;)

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 6:17 AM
  • I think the states are more and more often feeling marginalized by the electoral system that was supposed to prevent that. The fact that the election is decided by certain 'key states' while other states are 'written off' is contrary to the intent of the electoral college system.

Using the popular vote alone would not solve the problem, since a candidate could win election without ever leaving the coastline. I favour the electoral college system because we are, indeed, a nation of states and that should remain. I think, however, that the system may need a review.

Perhaps an elimination of the 'winner take all' system used in most states would reduce the marginalization of less populous states and of the minority party in more populous ones. If, for instance, California's electoral vote was divided proportionate to their popular vote, the candidates would find a need to woo voters nationwide instead of concentrating their efforts in certain 'key states' knowing that had security in their 'red states' and 'blue states'.

Two states currently divide their electoral votes. Perhaps others should consider it.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 9:35 AM
  • Two states currently divide their electoral votes. Perhaps others should consider it. -- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 9:35 AM

Seriously? I don't know that I knew that. I figured it was a federal issue.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 10:01 AM
  • The states decide how to select their electors. The federal government decides only how many they get. The Constitution sets the date for their selection, and the date and manner of the vote of the electors.

Nebraska and Maine allow their electoral vote to be split. All other states have opted for the 'winner takes all' approach.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 10:06 AM

Respond to this thread