Speak Out: Taxpayer Funding of Chevy Volt to Create Jobs -- In China

Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Sep 27, 2011, at 11:52 AM:

Replies (21)

• Tesla is said to have created an electric Pierce Arrow in 1931 by converting a standard model. Supposedly just drew the electricity needed out of the air.

But that was a Pierce Arrow, a high end luxury car and the year was 1931, the Great Depression.

-- Posted by voyager on Tue, Sep 27, 2011, at 3:18 PM
  • Where does the electricity come from for all these electric cars when the EPA is restricting the use of carbon fuels used to generate the juice for the grid? If not nuclear we will have to depend on solar, wind and hydro power.

I'm thinking the ultimate goal is sustainable communities with pedal power for transportation.

They ain't building all those bike trails for nothing ya know.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Sep 27, 2011, at 4:17 PM
  • Tesla was working on a method of transmitting electricity wirelessly. It is my understanding that he had constructed a generator in the northeast which supposedly broadcast the energy used to power the Pierce-Arrow.

The story goes that Pierce-Arrow and General Electric partnered with him on this venture. The car was driven around the city for a week at speeds up to 70 miles per hour.

J.P. Morgan financed an attempt by Tesla to build a plant which would transmit radio signals wirelessly across the Atlantic. When Morgan learned that the same structure was intended to have the capability of transmitting electricity wirelessly he cut off funding for the project.

-- Posted by Robert* on Tue, Sep 27, 2011, at 6:47 PM
  • Do you think the Chinese workers who build the Chinese Volt will be UAW members?

How long will the batteries last? How expensive will it be to replace them? Who will recycle the batteries and other electronic modules?

I thought it would be worth while to check the sales figures on the Chevy Volt. Chevrolet announced plans to produce 10,000 Volts this year. If they are to sell that many look for the federal government, General Electric, or some other corporate supporters of Obama to make fleet purchases. Apparently very few people actually want to own a Volt! Compare the way these two websites report on this subject:

http://www.greenautoblog.com/2011/03/07/gm-chevy-volt-sales-numbers-rise-may/

http://www.nlpc.org/stories/2011/08/02/chevy-volt-sales-slump-gm-clarifies-"virt...

-- Posted by Robert* on Tue, Sep 27, 2011, at 7:09 PM
  • stnmsn8, I wasn't able to pull up the sites you listed.

It makes sense in my suspicious mind that the government will buy fleets of Volts to prop up GM.

GE stands to gain with government mandates for green technology.

I think Churchhill's big black dog of depression came upon Tesla, styfling his work when big business interupted his genius.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Sep 27, 2011, at 7:37 PM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Sep 27, 2011, at 7:55 PM
  • -- Posted by Robert* on Tue, Sep 27, 2011, at 8:12 PM
  • What does the Volt have to offer that the hybrids from Japan don't already have?

I have a 94 full size luxury car that has returned 30+ mpg on a long trip and my friend has an older Honda mid-size that will do 40mpg.

Regardless of the MSM, GM, and government propaganda, I don't see the Volt taking the market by storm.

As far as the Leaf, I can see it working for folks in the city that have room to park and can't stand public transportation.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Sep 27, 2011, at 8:51 PM
  • What does an electric car owner do in a Midwest winter? Cold temperatures reduce the amount of power available from the battery. Heaters, defrosters, and windshield wipers pull more energy. Ice and snow reduce traction, causing wheelspin and reducing range. If there is a power outage how do you recharge the battery?

There may be niche markets for the electric car but a lot of development is still required. Even if the electric vehicle may be the car of the future, I do not believe the future is yet here.

-- Posted by Robert* on Tue, Sep 27, 2011, at 9:03 PM
  • Green energy has hit a brown out. Example is Solyandra.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Sep 28, 2011, at 5:44 AM
  • News Flash: Limbaugh and Bush are not the president.

-- Posted by jadip4me on Wed, Sep 28, 2011, at 8:15 AM
  • I can't see how Rush Limbaugh can be blamed, no one ever listens to him. Least no one I know will admit to listening to him. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Sep 28, 2011, at 9:48 PM
  • EOS, I never said I didn't listen to Rush. In the early days of Rush I was on the road a lot and due to radio reception I followed his show, Derry Brownfield, Chuck Harter, Barry Farber, Ken Hamlin, Mike Reagan, Bruce Williams, Micheal Medved, and a host of others. Oh and I can't leave out Mr. Rudy.

When Rush endorsed NAFTA I thought it was one of his jokes, somehow to have a point about the absurdity of the whole idea. Since I have not taken anything he says to hold water. I have confidence enough in my own logic and sometimes mere gut feelings to know the difference between bs and and sensible talk.

Back to the Volt; during the early 80's a respected GM dealer told me that if GM came out with a three legged car without a steering wheel they could sell it.

That guy is long gone but maybe we will see if he was right.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Sep 28, 2011, at 10:56 PM
  • Rick, I happenned to hear Rush when he was first on the Cape station and thought here's a guy spewing what I would say if I wasn't skeered of offending folks. He made a lot of sense in his basic approach to spelling out what was wrong in America but even then I knew not everything he said was right. Like any other big mouth, when he's wrong he never goes back, just starts on something else. When he's right he won't let you forget it.

One of my buddies likes to listen to Allen Combs and my buddy might be what's called a right wing fanatic. Says he listens to be entertained with the stupid sh.t he hears on that program.

It's sort of like these threads, some of us just get a kick out of stupid, wether it be us or them.:)

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Sep 28, 2011, at 11:51 PM
  • Wars are rarely started by popular consensus.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Sep 29, 2011, at 8:47 AM
  • Rush Limbaugh expressed his opinions on topics of the day, just as we are doing on this board. That people are willing to listen to him is of their own doing, no one forces them to turn on the radio.

His success stems from the fact that listeners are apparently willing to pay for the products advertised on his programme.

He neither drafted, voted upon, nor signed NAFTA, he was just one of many voices favouring free trade, mine included.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Sep 29, 2011, at 9:08 AM
  • For a while, Alan Combs came on either just before or just after Rush on 960 KZIM. I listened to both of them. It was double the entertainment; also thought provoking to hear both sides of the same issues.

-- Posted by Robert* on Thu, Sep 29, 2011, at 11:09 AM
  • Just reported today - a taxpayer giveaway of $150 MILLION dollars to build a plant in Michigan to produce batteries for the Chevy Volt. Guess what? It hasn't produced a single battery, has already furloughed employees and the Chevy Volt batteries are being made in South Korea and shipped to the US. Where did the $150 MILLION of taxpayer money go? The full story - outrageous:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/08/lg-plant-that-got-150m-to-make-volt-batteri...

By the way, Obama attended the opening of the plant to a big crowd of news people announcing the success of this plant and how it is a model for the future - after he gave them $150 MILLION of our money.

As Romney said in the debate: "I have a friend who said you don't pick winners and losers. You just pick losers". Of course liberals here will still focus on raising taxes because they believe we don't have a spending problem.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 5:47 PM
  • I bet every Volt sold will have an OEM obama bumper sticker on it.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 6:15 PM
  • GM loses as much as $49K on each volt since the car costs $89,000 to produce. This kind of spending is unbelievable. Why should GM care when they have the pockets of the taxpayer taking the loss. Obama doesn't care.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/10/us-generalmotors-autos-volt-idUSBRE889...

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 7:49 PM
  • I don't care who supported "free trade". NAFTA was dumb. By signing an agreement with the WTO we subjected our own laws and regulations to an international tribunal.

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 9:04 PM

Respond to this thread