Speak Out: Post Obama Quotes for a Little Irony Please

Posted by gurusmom on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 12:30 AM:

"Obama to high school grads: 'Don't make excuses'

"President Barack Obama is telling high school graduates in Michigan not to make excuses, and to take responsibility for failures as well as successes.

"In excerpts of remarks to be delivered Monday evening at Kalamazoo Central High School, Obama said that it's easy to blame others when problems arise. "We see it every day out in Washington, with folks calling each other names and making all sorts of accusations on TV," the president said."

First of all, sounds like his campaign, doesn't it? However, since he was elected, I seem to recall ... a few instances of possible excuses, calling names, blaming others, all sorts of accusations ... Anyone have any to share ...?

Replies (19)

• Obama channelling Spike Lee:

http://www.wavenewspapers.com/news/95560...

... directed only at BP. "One time, go off!" director Spike Lee urged on CNN's "AC 360°." "If there's any one time to go off, this is it, because this is a disaster." Lee's sentiment echoes the frustration of people who want to see Obama...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/06/07/g...

President Barack Obama bluntly defended his administration's response to the undersea gusher fouling the Gulf of Mexico on Monday, telling an interviewer he has met with experts to learn "whose (***) to kick."

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 5:12 AM

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 5:14 AM
  • The two links posted by blogbuds not there now.

-- Posted by voyager on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 7:23 AM
  • Try again, might have been my fault - I was having some trouble posting the first go around.

http://www.wavenewspapers.com/news/95560219.html

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/06/07/gulf.oil.obama/

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 7:28 AM
  • Couldn't find Obama, but here is Bush:

I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.

I heard somebody say, "Now, where's Mandela?" Well, Mandela's dead because Saddam Hussein killed all the Mandelas.

We must all hear the universal call to like your neighbor just like you like to be liked yourself.

This is Preservation Month. I appreciate preservation. It's what you do when you run for president. You gotta preserve. (said during "Perseverance Month")

It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you know, the dark dungeons of the Internet.

It's evolutionary, going from governor to president, and this is a significant step, to be able to vote for yourself on the ballot, and I'll be able to do so next fall, I hope

Well, the jury is still out on evolution, you know

They misunderestimated me

I'm honored to be here with the eternal general of the United States, mi amigo Alberto Gonzales.

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.

My pro-life position is I believe there's life. It's not necessarily based in religion. I think there's a life there, therefore the notion of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

There's an old saying in Tennessee.. I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee.. that says: fool me once, shame on.. .. shame on you?.. .. Fool me.. you can't get fooled again.

My job is a job to make decisions. I'm a decision.. if the job description were, what do you do.. it's decision maker.

My relationship with this good man (Tony Blair) is where I've been focused, and that's where my concentration is. And I don't regret any other aspect of it. And so I.. we filled a lot of space together.

Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?

-- Posted by moot on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 7:39 AM
  • Some retrospectives can come back to haunt.

-- Posted by voyager on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 8:18 AM
  • Dizzy Dean, Harry Carey, George Bush - I'll take some common malapropisms any day - as opposed to outright lies and deception. I miss 'W'!

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 8:47 AM
  • "The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings and inefficiencies to our health care system." Washington, D.C., July 20, 2009

"UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? It's the Post Office that's always having problems." Portsmouth, N.H., Aug. 11, 2009

The Cambridge police acted stupidly." Cambridge, Mass., July 22, 2009

"We're not trying to push financial reform because we begrudge success that's fairly earned. I mean, I do think at a certain point you've made enough money. But, you know, part of the American way is, you know, you can just keep on making it if you're providing a good product or providing good service. We don't want people to stop, ah, fulfilling the core responsibilities of the financial system to help grow our economy." Quincy, Ill., April 29, 2010

"It was also interesting to see that political interaction in Europe is not that different from the United States Senate. There's a lot of -- I don't know what the term is in Austrian, wheeling and dealing." Strasbourg, France, April 6, 2009

No, no. I have been practicing...I bowled a 129. It's like -- it was like Special Olympics, or something." "The Tonight Show", March 19, 2009

"I didn't want to get into a Nancy Reagan thing about doing any seances." Washington, D.C., Nov. 7, 2008

"I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody." Toledo, Ohio, Oct. 12, 2008

"What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith..." --in an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos

"I'm here with the Girardo family here in St. Louis." Kansas City, Missouri, Aug. 25, 2008

"Let me introduce to you the next President -- the next Vice President of the United States of America, Joe Biden." Springfield, Illinois, Aug. 23, 2008

"Just this past week, we passed out of the out of the U.S. Senate Banking Committee -- which is my committee -- a bill to call for divestment from Iran as way of ratcheting up the pressure to ensure that they don't obtain a nuclear weapon." Sderot, Israel, July 23, 2008 (He was not on the Senate Banking Committee)

"Let me be absolutely clear. Israel is a strong friend of Israel's. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under a McCain...administration. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under an Obama administration. So that policy is not going to change." --Amman, Jordan, July 22, 2008

"How's it going, Sunshine?" --campaigning in Sunrise, Florida

"On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in the audience here today -- our sense of patriotism is particularly strong."

"Hold on one second, sweetie, we're going to do -- we'll do a press avail."

"I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go."

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?"

It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

"In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died -- an entire town destroyed." --on a Kansas tornado that killed 12 people

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 9:44 AM
  • And, of course, we have this gem from the man who, along with his supporters, has spent the last year-and-a-half blaming everything wrong in the world on his predecessor:

"Don't make excuses. Take responsibility not just for your successes, but for your failures as well," he told the graduates. "The truth is, no matter how hard you work, you won't necessarily ace every class or succeed in every job. There will be times when you screw up, when you hurt the people you love, when you stray from your most deeply held values.

"And when that happens, it's the easiest thing in the world to start looking around for someone to blame. Your professor was too hard, your boss was a jerk, the coach was playing favorites, your friend just didn't understand. We see it every day out in Washington, with folks calling each other names and making all sorts of accusations on TV."

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 10:31 AM
  • The custom of handshakes began when knights held out their hands to show they had no arms. Tim the toolman Taylor.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 10:56 AM
  • And I see that Spaniard can't give up on tarring President Bush. We all know he was prone to tripping on his tongue. Friend-O requested quotes from Mr. Obama. Are you so afraid of how Mr. Obama may appear on his own that you have to constantly barrage the board with the ghost of Presidents past.

News Flash, Mr. Spaniard: President Bush has been out of office since January, 2009. Granted, we're still waiting for Mr. Obama (or someone) to step up and take charge, but President Bush is taking a well-deserved rest.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 11:06 AM
  • President Bush is taking a well-deserved rest.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 11:06 AM

He needs it! Destroying countries is hard work.

-- Posted by riregrist on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 3:01 PM
  • riregrist wrote:

"He needs it! Destroying countries is hard work."

This country was intact when he departed. I'm not sure the same will be able to be said when the current occupant departs in 2013.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 3:25 PM
  • This country was intact when he departed.

Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 3:25 PM

Is this more of that revisionist history stuff? This country was FAR from intact when he left office. I guess the s***ball belongs to the person it hits, not the person who made and threw it!

-- Posted by riregrist on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 3:44 PM
  • riregrist wrote:

"Is this more of that revisionist history stuff? This country was FAR from intact when he left office."

I suppose that would depend on your definition of intact. The economy was sour, but it was not desperate. We were able to have democratic elections. We were about 2 trillion dollars less in public debt than today.

What, specifically, would you consider to not be intact?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 4:05 PM
  • Shapely, sorry to burst your bubble, but the economy didn't pop overnight; it took time to develop to that point. While the bubble didn't burst while W was President, we were already well on our way so it did shortly after he was gone.

Not that Obama has been a class act, but come on it's a far cry to say that W left us in good shape.

-- Posted by almighty on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 4:20 PM
  • Funny how Congress writes and enacts the laws that run this country, but recieves none of the blame, as if the presidents are dictators with the congresspeople just there for show.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 4:35 PM
  • almighty,

Actually, the bubble did burst overnight. It happened in early October of 2007. That happens to coincide with the beginning of the first fiscal year budgeted by the newly-elected Democrat majority, under the gavel of Ms. Nancy Pelosi.

You may call that a coincidence, but I find it hard to believe it to be so.

I didn't say President Bush left us in 'good shape', I said he left us 'intact'. We've been in better shape, and worse. We almost came apart at the seams, once, in what we called a 'Civil War'. The country under President Bush never reached anywhere near that point.

I'm not saying Mr. Obama will, either. However, I see what is happening in Greece and elsewhere, fueled by unrestrained government spending, and I look at Mr. Obama's unrestrained government spending, and I have to wonder.

President Bush was no penny-pincher, to be sure. However, since Ms. Pelosi has taken the purse strings, and Mr. Obama has been given the authority to okay the spending, our debt has ballooned out of control. There is no Social Security surplus to borrow, so all of this rising debt is new debt, public debt. The Democrats, who rode into power largely complaining about Republican spending, show no signs that they are willing to curtail the spending. That is why I say I am not sure that we will be intact when Mr. Obama leaves office.

riregrist, and others, seem content to turn a blind eye to what is happening, content to tar President Bush for it, and mindless of what has happened in the year-and-a-half since.

I posted the quote from Mr. Obama on 'taking responsibility'. I see few here caught the irony...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 4:46 PM
  • Mr. Hunter I cannot put my thougths into words very well but you have come awfully close to them so I will just say "Ditto"

-- Posted by thumkin on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 5:16 PM
  • "Mr. Hunter I cannot put my thougths into words very well but you have come awfully close to them so I will just say "Ditto"

Ditto-heads ride again...

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 11:46 PM

Respond to this thread