Speak Out: How should Ukraine be handled

Posted by Truth Slinger on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 10:43 AM:

If you don't intend to back up your Pink lines, keep your mouth shut from the start.

Replies (73)

• BC, Looks to me their is potential for a more robust trade between the U.S and Russia. A more carrot to balance the stick maybe?

http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c4621.html

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 10:56 AM
  • Like I said, (don't you read)....keep your mouth shut if you give ultimatums or pink lines and can't back them up. If you want to know what pink lines - google it, I'm not your slave.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 11:01 AM
  • Have fun with all your postings today....girlfriend and I are out of here.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 11:05 AM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 10:56 AM

Old John,

It appears that the balance of trade shifted to Russia's favor with Bill Clinton and has continued since.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 11:56 AM
  • "Third , Russian and USA astronauts had to abort a mission to the Space Station yesterday , where are those pesky sanctions."

I'm not aware the mission was aborted. The launch went ahead as planned. The arrival at the Space Station was delayed due to a "glitch".

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 12:27 PM
  • Wheels, I think they learned fast how to grow their own wheat during Clinton's reign. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 12:27 PM
  • Wheels, I think they learned fast how to grow their own wheat during Clinton's reign. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 12:27 PM

Old John,

Makes me wonder, did we send someone over to demonstrate for them?

Right now, I know a young gentleman who is working for an agricultural company who has him in China showing them how to raise hogs. Now if that were a government program, they would probably have him in Israel training them to raise hogs.

Makes one wonder if China would reciprocate and teach us the method they use to manufacture the cheap goods sold in this country. We appear to have forgotten and need to be taught again.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 1:16 PM
  • Only US involvement should be based on United Nations joint decisions.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 3:57 PM
  • -- Posted by instagram on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 3:57 PM

The United States should not be involved with or without United Nations decisions. If the United Nations wants to take someone to task let them look at some of those countries we have been supporting for generations to go get their young folks killed.

Better yet, let the United Nations stand down as well.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 5:22 PM
  • Obama was speaking today, I didn't pay that much attention but it sounded as if he was telling Putin to do as he pleased regarding Ukraine, just heed U.S. warnings and make it look as if the people decided through free elections.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 9:01 PM
  • Old John,

I saw him on TV but the washer had just finished and I was left with the instructions to hang up the clothes for drying immediately before they became wrinkled. And that is what I did because ultimately I considered that more important than anything he had to say anyway.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 9:56 PM
  • Wheels, I know what you're talking about. Actually I was trying to take a power nap between loads.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 10:16 PM
  • Old John,

☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 10:22 PM
  • "...sounded as if he was telling Putin to do as he pleased regarding Ukraine..."

That of course is completely untrue.

"...more important than anything he had to say anyway."

"...I didn't pay that much attention..."

And that explains a lot about the habits of the SO group. Don't listen, do "more important" things, but feel free to criticize actions and positions that you know little about.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 7:05 AM
  • "...sounded as if he was telling Putin to do as he pleased regarding Ukraine..."

"...more important than anything he had to say anyway."

"...I didn't pay that much attention..."

And that explains a lot about the habits of the SO group. Don't listen, do "more important" things, but feel free to criticize actions and positions that you know little about.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 7:06 AM
  • "...I didn't pay that much attention..." And that explains a lot about the habits of the SO group.-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 7:06 AM

Did you pay attention to these?

"If you like your current insurance you can keep it. Period" or

"The individual mandate will not be extended. Period" or

"I did not set a red line on Syria" or

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" or

"Health care negotiations will be televised" or

"The stimulus will create shovel-ready jobs".

OJ is spot on. Your problem (and your OW friends) is you believe everything Obama says, hang on his every word, push his WH talking points and vote for him twice based on those quotes above.

Now who is blind? Someone who bought those lies above I think.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 8:23 AM
  • Nothing. The same as your post has to do with Commons response.

Mine addressed commons response, yours didn't.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 8:27 AM
  • You didn't address Common's response-- Posted by miccheck on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 8:31 AM

I absolutely did. Here you go again.

Common criticized someone for not listening to what the president said. I responded with quotes to show how many times he has misled and lied. Period. Why would anyone listen to his empty promises and lies about anything? Maybe you can answer that yourself. I could list 100.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 8:34 AM
  • Because unless you listen to what he's saying, you are not in a position to judge whether it's truth or a lie.-- Posted by miccheck on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 8:37 AM

You bought his lies. YOU are in no position to judge anything he says even though you listen.

That is very relevant to any ability to judge anything on here. Poor judgment on your part is not a good resume item for someone who is obsessed with their self-appointed role as the poster-remover and arbiter.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 8:51 AM
  • Ignorant would be not knowing the difference between "listening" to the president or reading about it later.

I know the difference, do you?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 9:12 AM
  • I would guess that what Dug is trying to say is, "Don't confuse me with the facts, I've already made up my mind."

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 9:42 AM
  • We all know what Common is saying, "Don't confuse me with the facts, Obama has made up my mind".

Every time. Trying thinking for yourself some time.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 9:58 AM

````````````````````````````````````````````````

Common, That's what it sounded like to me. What did it sound like to you?

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 10:13 AM
  • It's not a question of "what it sounded like." It's simply what he said, and that was any additional incursions into the Ukraine would be met by strong economic and political sanctions by the US and the European Community.

Nothing was said that even slightly resembled telling "...Putin to do as he pleased..."

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 11:53 AM
  • Maybe I was dreaming when I thought I heard talk denouncing the election to bring Crimea back to Russia as rigged and then later encouragement to allow fair free elections in Ukraine to let the people decide.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 12:03 PM
  • "....push his WH talking points and vote for him twice based..."

Dug certainly has persuasive arguments and a unique style of logic, and I am strongly tempted to agree with him.

But then we'd both be wrong...

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 7:18 PM
  • Common, I take it you have listened to or read what all President Obama said since your last post. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 7:23 PM
  • Putin wouldn't have got away with this if John Kennedy or Ronald Reagan were in office heck he wouldn't have even attempted it. Putin knew we are weak right now so he thought this would be a good time to make his move and he did. Putin is a old Soviet Union KGB Officer back in the cold war days he is not dumb and needs to be put in his place but Obama like so many of these tyrants that he has let do what they want to do runs around doing as they please, there was a day that didn't happen when we had respect from the whole world.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 7:42 AM
  • -- Posted by miccheck on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 7:48 AM

Mic: It's too late now the USA is the laughing stock of the world and nothing he can do will change it....unless he would resign, wait a minute then we would have Biden, maybe both would resign then John Boehner would be President and that's the way it should be....Friday March 28, 2014.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 8:01 AM
  • -- Posted by miccheck on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 8:29 AM

Mic: Didn't you heard the news or read the paper when Putin and the Russians were laughing at our sanctions or do you tune out anything that is anti-Pinky. For your reading enjoyment here's a link for you and you can find more by doing what you do best - google - for what our so call friends really think of Pres. Pinky's leadership.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 9:32 AM
  • Mic: Do you not have any common sense, I know I asked that before but you never answered....If Russia is laughing don't you think there are more that is also laughing.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 9:58 AM
  • -- Posted by BCStoned on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 9:55 AM

BC: He should have kept his mouth shut if he wasn't going to back up his words.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 10:12 AM
  • -- Posted by BCStoned on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 10:15 AM

BC: What would you have done if you were Pres. Pinky?

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 10:27 AM
  • BC: He really backed up his words like a crawdad backing up.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 10:28 AM
  • -- Posted by miccheck on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 10:27 AM

Mic: You wouldn't know the truth if it stared you right in the face.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 10:30 AM
  • I'm going to need more than that to believe we are the "laughing stock of the world".-- Posted by miccheck on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 10:27 AM

Mic: Are you serious are or you just putting on?

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 10:33 AM
  • If there's something I'm missing in this situation, I need to know what it is.-- Posted by miccheck on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 10:32 AM

Mic: That wasn't an insult it was stating a fact.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 10:44 AM
  • Mic: Since you like to ask questions let me ask you one: what would you have done if you were Pres. Pinky concerning your thread subject?

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 10:46 AM
  • Mic: That's because you have no earthly idea what's going on in the world. Don't you have any views that is not on google?

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 10:53 AM
  • I would suggest posters then give the answers that I give solicitors...... "I do not take surveys, have a good day. Click,

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 10:55 AM
  • Mic: Leave your answers here and I will be back on here tonight to enjoy them.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 10:58 AM
  • It is painfully clear Obama should have kept his mouth shut and stayed out of it. The worry is, his ego will only lead to more hardships for this country. Something is dreadfully wrong when 30,000 Americans will sign a petition to have Russia annex their state.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 3:38 PM
  • HWWT, that just goes to show how ignorant Alaskans are. Palin is not the only nut job it appears. Must be the Alaskan Tea Baggers.

-- Posted by left turn on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 3:54 PM
  • -- Posted by left turn on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 3:54 PM

Very intelligent post Lefty. Not quite up to your normal display of Leftist ignorance... but close.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 4:22 PM
  • "...dreadfully wrong when 30,000 Americans will sign a petition to have Russia annex their state."

Don't tell me that you actually believe that the 30,000 are serious about joining Russia. They're playing a game, pure and simple.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 4:31 PM
  • If they were truly serious, all they would have to do is take a short boat trip accross the Bering Strait. I don't believe that any of them will, do you?

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 4:33 PM
  • Common,

I don't know about those 30,000 people, but I personally would not sign any petition if I were not serious about it's intent. There are better ways to just attract attention I think, if you are not happy with a situation.

No, I don't think they will leave everything to a government they obviously are unhappy with, but would they as a state move, I don't know. Do you really think all 30,000 of those signers are just playing games? That is just under 4.1% of Alaska's estimated 2013 population. Not an insignificant number considering there probably are a lot more who are afraid to sign such a document because of possible retribution.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 4:59 PM
  • How should Ukraine be handled

Posted by miccheck on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 8:36 AM:

Recent polls have found that a lot of Americans disapprove of the president's handling of the situation in Ukraine. It seems many here hold the same opinion.

Fair enough. Everyone's entitled to an opinion. I'm curious, though, what these people think Obama should have done differently. Anyone care to shed some light?

obama should have done absolutely nothing. No financial aid, no military aid, and certainly no sanctions.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 6:07 PM
  • Are you saying you think Obama should have ignored the situation in Urkaine from the beginning?

-- Posted by miccheck on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 9:55 AM

That's what I would say.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 6:09 PM
  • Only US involvement should be based on United Nations joint decisions.

-- Posted by instagram on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 3:57 PM

UN should be abolished. If not, the U.S. should leave the UN.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 6:13 PM
  • That makes no sense. I didn't "buy" anything. I judge what the president says based on available information. Sometimes I'm right in my assessment, sometimes I'm wrong. However, if I don't know what is said, I can not judge it as all, because I'm ignorant.

-- Posted by miccheck on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 9:04 AM

I myself base nothing on what someone says (and certainly not a politician). "Actions speak louder than words."

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 6:18 PM
  • Putin wouldn't have got away with this if John Kennedy or Ronald Reagan were in office heck he wouldn't have even attempted it. Putin knew we are weak right now so he thought this would be a good time to make his move and he did. Putin is a old Soviet Union KGB Officer back in the cold war days he is not dumb and needs to be put in his place but Obama like so many of these tyrants that he has let do what they want to do runs around doing as they please, there was a day that didn't happen when we had respect from the whole world.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 7:42 AM

Both Kennedy and Reagan had the bad habit of butting in where they didn't belong.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 6:21 PM
  • Don't tell me that you actually believe that the 30,000 are serious about joining Russia. They're playing a game, pure and simple. -- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 4:31 PM

Says the guy who believes that the Obama health care law that caused the canceling of 6 million health insurance policies is a "success".

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 7:35 PM
  • Mic: Leave your answers here and I will be back on here tonight to enjoy them.-- Posted by semo471 on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 10:58 AM

Mic: I see you didn't answer my question, couldn't you google any answers? Then don't be asking me anymore questions.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 7:50 PM
  • obama Tells Putin: Back Off Ukraine

Worried about Moscow's intentions, President Barack Obama urged Russian President Vladimir Putin to pull his troops back from the border with Ukraine during an hour-long phone call Friday

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Putin-Obama-Russia-Ukraine/2014/03/28/id/562442...

The U.S. has Russia completely surrounded by the U.S. military (S. Korea, Japan, Okinawa, Phillipines, Middle East, Western Europe, Alaska) and yet we have the audacity to try and dictate to Russia about where their troops should or should not be stationed?

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 8:47 PM
  • -- Posted by miccheck on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 9:57 PM

Mic: Remember don't ask me any questions if you can't answer my question. Good night where ever you and your planet are.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 10:30 PM
  • Micheck doesn't plan to on that. Just more of the she is stupid person she is.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Mar 29, 2014, at 1:24 AM
  • John McCain says U.S. should considerforcing major American companies to leave Russia. John McCain should consider leaving government service.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sat, Mar 29, 2014, at 8:34 AM
  • FFF

Agree, but just like his suggestion, he should be forced into leaving government service. He and Reed are both senile.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Mar 29, 2014, at 8:51 AM
  • Eric Margolis sums it up pretty well.

Defending Everything = Defending Nothing

War fever is in the air. Fifty thousand Russian troops and armor are massed on Ukraine's eastern border. Europe and Washington worry that the reborn Red Army may sweep west across Ukraine, Moldova, the Baltics -- even into Poland.

The West is suffering from a bad case of Cold War chills.

Not only are the Western powers worried, they are discovering that they likely lack the means to stop possible Russian incursions into what was the former Soviet Empire.

They should not be at all surprised that Russia is again showing signs of life.

Frederick the Great, the renowned Prussian warrior-king, warned: "he who tried to defend everything, defends nothing."

Every young officers should have Great Fredrick's words tattooed on his right hand. Soon after the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, a small number of strategists, this analyst included, warned NATO, "do not move east. It's a bridge too far."

Soviet chairman Mikhail Gorbachev had agreed to let rebellious East Germany escape Soviet control -- but in exchange for NATO's vow not to push east in previously Soviet dominated areas of Eastern Europe and the Caucasus. The US and NATO agreed, then quickly broke their pledge.

NATO's advance into Eastern Europe, the Baltic and the Caucasus -- not to mention former Soviet Central Asia - that brought the US-led alliance right up to Russia's borders. US anti- missile systems were scheduled to go into Poland, close to Russian territory. New US bases were set up in Bulgaria, Romania and Central Asia.

Unsubtle US efforts to bring ex-Russian Ukraine and the vital Sevastopol naval base in Crimea under NATO control - no doubt to punish Russia for supporting Syria and Iran -- proved the last straw for the Kremlin.

Talking tough is easy. Defending Eastern Europe from a possible Russian invasion will not be. The main problem is that while US/NATO guarantees have been advanced to Russia's sensitive borders, their military capabilities have not. In short, commitment without capability.

Russia's military could take over the Baltic states of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia in an afternoon. Sizeable portions of their populations are ethnic Russians.

NATO is not deployed or equipped to go to war over Ukraine: its troops are far to the west, without supply systems or air cover. Besides, European powers, aside from the little Nazis in Denmark and Ukraine's nationalists, want no part of war with Russia -- that's left to the war hawks safely at home in Washington.

The barrage of trade sanctions Washington is imposed on Russia is an act of pre-war. We should remember that US sanctions imposed on Japan in 1941 that led Tokyo to attack the Western powers.

During the Cold War, the US had some 400,000 troops in Europe, 800 warplanes and potent naval forces. Today, the US has only 43,000 troops left in Europe: two combat brigades and the rest air force and logistics personnel. The old days when the Soviet Union had 50,000 tanks pointed at Western Europe are long gone, but Russia's modernized armed forces still pack punch.

Meanwhile, the US has scattered forces all over the globe in what Frederick the Great would call an effort to defend everything. Most notably, US troops have gone to Afghanistan, Iraq, then Kuwait, and many home. America's strongest divisions are now guarding Kansas and Texas instead of German's Fulda Gap and Hanover.

America's military power has been dissipated in little colonial wars, just as Britain's were in the 19th century. When British imperial troops had to face real German soldiers, they were slaughtered. Similarly, the US military, reconfigured after Vietnam to wage guerilla wars, is in no shape today to face the grandsons of the once mighty Red Army.

Cautious, patient Vlad Putin is not about to invade Poland. The real danger is what would happen if the ethnic Russian inhabitants of the Baltic states, Ukraine and Moldova rise up and demand reunification with Mother Russia?

Would Russia go to their aid? Would Europe and the US be ready to risk nuclear war for obscure places like Luhansk, Kharkov, Chisinau or Kaunus?

In Ukraine and Crimea we are now seeing the results of overly aggressive Western geopolitics. Russia was woefully underestimated. A crisis between nuclear-armed powers should never have been allowed to occur. It's sheer madness. Like nuclear-armed children fighting over a toy.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sat, Mar 29, 2014, at 9:38 AM
  • Jack Douglas

The U.S. Empire Is Trying Desperately To Contain the Eurasian Alliance of Russia, China, Central Asian Nations, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Pakistan

The U.S. and its puppets, especially the E.U. and Nato, have been trying to weaken the rebuilding Russian empire as much as possible to contain it, while maintaining the U.S. Global Empire.

This has become a vital, crucial goal because of the rapid growth of Chinese power and the ever closer Alliance of Russia, China, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Central Asia, Pakistan, etc.

The U.S. and E.U. are desperate to stop Russia from rebuilding its vast Central Asian states within the Russian Federation and this new Alliance, especially because of the vast Caspian Sea oil and gas. The E.U. is highly dependent on Russia for gas and on Russia, Iraq, Iran and the pro-Russian Caspian Sea powers, especially Kazakhstan. The Russian move into the Black Sea is another major step in that direction. Kazakhstan publicly supported the Russian move to reunite with the Crimea. Kazakhstan is the great prize, with 30% of its population Russian and a vast border with Mother Russia. Russia is probably not at this time trying to reunite Kazakhstan with Russia, since that would involve many more problems, but simply to keep it as a close ally, as the Ukraine was until the violent overthrow of the Kiev government by the U.S. supported coup.

Russia, Iran, Iraq, and their Central Asian allies are close to a vast oligopoly on the oil and gas exports of the world, especially to the E.U., U.K., China, India, etc.

Saudi Arabia is desperate to break the growing Iran-Iraq-Syria-Hizbollahp-Russian-Central Asian power block. Right now it is trying desperately to build its own military forces to offset the U.S. withdrawal from the region, but that is absurd. In the long term, Saudi Arabia will align with Russia-China-Iran-Central Asia or be overthrown from within by those who will become reasonable.

China, now firmly in the Russian-Central Asia-Iran-Iraq block with gas lines from Russia, etc., is moving forcefully into all of the South China Sea to control oil and gas there. The U.S. is desperate to stop that, but China keeps moving out.

All of that puts the dying U.S. Empire on a collision course with the vast Russian-Chinese-Iranian-Central Asian Alliance. Pakistan has become very anti-U.S. because of the U.S. attacks in Pakistan and is allying more and more with China. Even India is working more and more closely with Iran and its allies to get the gas they need. Just yesterday the president of Iran spoke in Afghanistan calling for a great regional entente, working together more and more closely. That is the likely route for Iranian oil and gas to India.

Ultimately, the U.S. Empire must withdraw from its vast over-stretch to save itself financially and economically, politically and militarily.

The E.U. knows that, so Germany's Prime Minister talks privately with Putin in German and Russian about the American Global Crisis. [She knows Russian and he knows German, so it's easy.] Germany, the E.U. and Russia are moving toward a long run understanding once the crippled U.S. implodes financially or withdraws to save itself. The CEO of Siemens, the giant and vital German technology corporation, has just visited with Putin in Russia and made public statements of strong plans to continue working with Russia very closely. Other German CEO's have done the same, acting as informal reassurances from the Prime Minister that her public words going along with the U.S. more or less do not mean any kind of break with the close relations with Russia.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sat, Mar 29, 2014, at 11:17 AM
  • The soviets were putting nukes in our hemisphere when Kennedy was president.-- Posted by Dugtard on Sat, Mar 29, 2014, at 2:17 PM

Where are those nukes today?

The soviets were directly arming and actively assisting socialist govts and revolutions in our hemisphere when reagan was president. -- Posted by Dugtard on Sat, Mar 29, 2014, at 2:17 PM

What happened to the marxist-lenninist Daniel Ortega?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sat, Mar 29, 2014, at 4:30 PM
  • "Where are those nukes today?"

Gone, as they were traded for us removing medium range nukes from Turkey.

"What happened to the marxist-lenninist Daniel Ortega?"

José Daniel Ortega Saavedra is a Nicaraguan politician who has been President of Nicaragua since 2007. Same guy.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Mar 29, 2014, at 4:50 PM
  • Gone-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Mar 29, 2014, at 4:50 PM

Yep. Thanks to Kennedy.

Same guy. -- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Mar 29, 2014, at 4:50 PM

Same guy, different politics and approach. No longer an avowed marxist and not funding revolutionaries in other countries after the civil war he sponsored in the past. The Reagan administration countered his moves.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sat, Mar 29, 2014, at 5:57 PM
  • Wow! Another Reagan worshipper uncovered.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Mar 29, 2014, at 8:38 PM
  • I think those nukes in Turkey were already planned to be removed under treaty before the Cuban fiasco.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Mar 30, 2014, at 12:16 AM
  • BC

Out of the some 330 Million people in this country, just by the law of averages.... out of the 500 and some odd people we send to Washington to manage this country's business, we should come up with a few above average people to speak for us. McCain, Obama, Harry Reed, Nancy Pelosi and a good number more in Washington would make good court jesters.

As in the corporate septic system, so goes it in the political system.... the biggest of them float to the top.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Mar 30, 2014, at 9:53 AM
  • Dug, you either missed the point or deliberately deflected from the point of my post.-- Posted by Dugtard on Sun, Mar 30, 2014, at 8:05 AM

Neither. I demonstrated that, when challenged, Kennedy and Reagan responded.

Missiles are out of Cuba.

Marxists are out of Central America.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sun, Mar 30, 2014, at 12:01 PM
  • It appears that while we would like to force American companies from doing business with Russia, our buddies in the EU, who are supposed to be with us all the way, intend to continue doing business with Russia.

http://usawatchdog.com/weekly-news-wrap-up-3-31-14/#more-11914

I think any politician even suggesting that US business be forced into stopping trade with Russia be forced out of office and quickly.

This whole affair is egos at work... we will suffer for it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Mar 30, 2014, at 2:40 PM
  • -- Posted by Diseased Turtle on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 10:04 AM

DT: That's why I refer to the President as Pinky....no ba**s.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 10:46 AM
  • How about we STAY OUT of every other country's business? How about we close all the foreign military bases and bring all those troops home and put them to work here?

-- Posted by the_eye on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 11:28 AM
  • -- Posted by the_eye on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 11:28 AM

Eye: Put them to work herding up cattle on grazing lands?

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 11:40 AM
  • Breaking up is hard to do.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 5:28 PM

Respond to this thread