Speak Out: KFVS12 manager Mike Smythe attacks Public Forums

Posted by mobushwhacker on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 4:36 PM:

In his Sept. 27, 2009 "Viewpoint" editorial KFVS 12 manager Mike Smythe had this to say about public internet forums:

"If you spread false statements on line you are taking a big chance. It can cost you money, your job, and your future. You can't draw conclusions about a person's character. An intellectual property attorney said last week, "If you say you didn't like someone, that's fine but if you say you think he is an embezzler and he is not, you've gone too far."

Friends, don't think your computer can't be tracked. If you are one of those cowards behind screen names, your time is coming. In fact, it might already be here."

Read the editorial in its entirety by clicking on the link below:

http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/story.asp?S=11198332

Do you think Mr. Smythe is more worried about the "Cowards" hiding behind screen names or the fact that television and newspapers are taking a back seat to internet news sources?

Replies (16)

• No becasue what he says is true.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 4:57 PM
  • "If you are one of those cowards behind screen names, your time is coming. In fact, it might already be here."

Did he just call me a coward? Can I sue? ☻

btw, how can it be slander/liable if it is true? For instance, you write about your experience with a particular business, if it true and you can back that up with facts, how is that slander/liable? Sounds like hogwash to me.

-- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 6:45 PM
  • Maybe Shakespeare was right, "Drown all the lawyers." A few other categories might be added to the list.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 8:27 PM
  • To answer your question, TV is taking a back seat to the other mediums, especially, the internet.....

-- Posted by vietnamvet on Sat, Oct 10, 2009, at 9:48 AM
  • Can't stand Smythe (even those few times I might agree with his point of view) or his irritating way of spouting what generally amounts to his own opinion, which he seems to believe is always the correct one. Human nature to do that probably, but ...

Doubt that he is really concerned about all us 'cowards' hiding behind behind screen names ... thinking it's just another rather popular rant that he's latched onto. Sometimes his subjects seem a little like desperate grasping for material to keep his tirades going ...

Rather a 'sticky point' probably about a person expressing his/her 'thoughts' whether under a screen name or not ... as in "... if you say you think he is an embezzler and he is not, you've gone too far." That type of statement ('think' being the key word) could be sufficient for a lawsuit, but that seems to be pushing too far ... if a person, whether anonymously or openly, expresses an opinion and ends up in court ... then shame on a system which allows it.

The phrase "First, kill all the lawyers" keeps running through my mind.

Would have to suspect that his main concern is that the internet is becoming more a source of news and entertainment than the 'old media.'

Very sensible point of view on it, James ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Oct 10, 2009, at 12:24 PM
  • Yeah, I have seen this fellow around town! Don't hold much stock in any of his opines. Our local station would do well to stiffle him.

Sure hope I don't get sued for saying that.

And Frankly Mike, I hide behind a screen name but not because I am a "coward"! You said," You can't draw conclusions about a person's character".Seems as if you did with that comment!Go away little man and take your opines with you. Oh! and by the way Mike, I have talked with many of my friends and they don't think much of you either!

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Sat, Oct 10, 2009, at 3:46 PM
  • Mike Smythe- I don't like you. Is that clear enough?

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Sat, Oct 10, 2009, at 4:03 PM
  • I disagree with Mike Smyth on this one. If I say, "In my opinion Mike is a jerk, coward, and royal donkey butt." Then that is my opinion and I have a right to my opinion. He can't sue me for having that opinion and expressing it even though it is online. Or if I say "I think Mike is full of himself." again I am expressing my given right to freedom of expression. I have not deflamed him, I only gave my opinion.

I also think that the reason he gave this little speech may have something to do with who we have been blogging about lately. Perhaps our mayor or perhaps one of those lovely business owners who haven't been paying their county taxes! Of course that is only my opinion!

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Sat, Oct 10, 2009, at 4:12 PM
  • Smythe needs to enrolled in a new course "Toward More Creative Name Calling." Maybe he can come up with some fresh ideas.

The main value of TV is "I Love Lucy" and old 1930's movie re-runs.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Oct 10, 2009, at 4:34 PM
  • I doesn't matter if you or anyone else likes Mike Smyth, he didn't ask for anyone to. An opinion is one thing, a statement without proof is another. To say, in your opinion someone is lying, is just an opinion. If you were to say someone is lying, that is a statement that should have proof to back it up.

-- Posted by ducks on Sat, Oct 17, 2009, at 7:20 AM
  • In the recent Limbaugh/NFL/Rams thing, certain news organizations attributed some quotes to Rush which he never made. They are beng tracked down and have pretty much been pinpointed. Rush is being urged to sue.

The question is will he and for how much? Enough to own certain Leftwing news organizations?

Maybe Smythe very well may have unknowingly scored bullseye.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Oct 17, 2009, at 10:14 AM
  • The question is will he and for how much? Enough to own certain Leftwing news organizations?

Maybe Smythe very well may have unknowingly scored bullseye.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Oct 17, 2009, at 10:14 AM

Voyager,

Maybe he can get enough to buy the NFL. That would excite football lovers everywhere.

:-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Oct 17, 2009, at 10:36 AM
  • Now that's a good chuckle for the day, Wheels!

I'd like to see him buy NBC. Now that would be real explosion in midtown Manhatten!

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Oct 17, 2009, at 10:51 AM
  • Voyager,

I never listen to Limbaugh, and the only football I watch is my high school age Grandson's weekly game, so have no dog in the fight so to speak.

But I do find this whole Bru-ha-ha hilareous.

Every time a stink is stirred up over something Limbaugh says, does, or somebody thinks he says or does, it adds to his bank account.

Funny!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Oct 17, 2009, at 11:44 AM
  • Suggest that one of the triggers for Mr. Smythe's ViewPoint was the bashing on a Topix thread.

He, and several of the KFVS on-air personalities, have recently been the subjects of several posts, most all of which either started in poor taste right out of the gate, or rapidly degraded to that level.

With freedom (of speech), comes responsibility.

So, I would suggest that Mr. Smythe was focusing more on being able to confront one's accuser, than the concern of any loss of media market share.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Sat, Oct 17, 2009, at 6:07 PM
  • Now, now, Wheels, lets not allow sour puddin spoil a convivial meal.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Oct 17, 2009, at 6:21 PM

Respond to this thread