Speak Out: City of Jackson: Shouldn't there be a public hearing on banning the over the counter sale of pseudoephedrine?

Posted by Red Devil on Mon, Oct 18, 2010, at 9:02 AM:

You listened to the SEMO Task Force in a study session and now are ready to enact a law without listening to the people?

Most of these task force members along with some of your police officers don't even live in the city limits of Jackson.

Just give the citizens their say without voting yes for this proposal.

If you then feel the majority of the people want this, then vote for it.

Replies (14)

• johnnyrentacop: So all of the people originally from Chaffee make meth?

-- Posted by Red Devil on Mon, Oct 18, 2010, at 9:32 AM
  • I pay absolutely no attention to anything anyone on the DTF says anymore. There are good people on DTF, but when it comes to issues like this, I don't buy into any of it.

-- Posted by Red_Rhino on Mon, Oct 18, 2010, at 9:34 AM
  • I can't stand the idea of a handful of lawbreakers forcing a law that will affect all of us.

These people will get what they need to make meth no matter what law makers do.

It's just like taking away our guns. Take ours away and the criminals will still get theirs.

You can't stop this by enacting a one city ban when all other towns around allow you to by over the counter.

Like I said in my first post, if it's not done state or nationwide then it's a useless law that will mostly affect law abiding citizens and not criminals.

-- Posted by Red Devil on Mon, Oct 18, 2010, at 9:42 AM
  • I promise to proofread future rants :-)

ex. buy* and lawmakers

-- Posted by Red Devil on Mon, Oct 18, 2010, at 9:46 AM
  • It is NOT the job of the Semo drug task force to run around to different municipalities to try to convince their leaders to make perfectly legal over the counter medication difficult to obtain!

I have called for their complete elimination. They are not effective and they are wasting our hard earned tax dollars spending time doing this type of non police work! We would all be better served if they would stick to enforcing laws and STOP trying to create more. If Jackson leaders vote to enforce this ridiculous and obvious civil liberty infringement upon law abiding citizens they should all be voted out as soon as possible or even resign.

This is NOT the answer to the meth problem folks and just like the drug war it will do nothing to stop meth manufacturing.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Mon, Oct 18, 2010, at 11:11 AM
  • I also support the elimination of the DTF.

-- Posted by Red_Rhino on Mon, Oct 18, 2010, at 11:22 AM
  • I will not be going to the doctor for a perscription on Sudafed.

Nobody should go to the doctor over a cold.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Mon, Oct 18, 2010, at 1:00 PM
  • Why don't we just let the police departments sell the stuff and see how many users / producers will buy then. Then legitimate folks can still buy it when they want.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Mon, Oct 18, 2010, at 5:06 PM
  • NO!

-- Posted by vietnamvet on Mon, Oct 18, 2010, at 5:07 PM
  • They passed it.

-- Posted by Red Devil on Mon, Oct 18, 2010, at 8:22 PM
  • Totally agree with lumbrgfktr

I see a future of people going to work with colds and spreading their germs all over the place because they are unable to buy cold medication, and certainly can not afford to take off work. People won't be able to go to a doctor because thanks to Obamacare and these stupid laws restricting cold medication, the doctors offices will be so jammed pack in the coming year that it will take you weeks to get an appointment, and going to the ER will be the worse nightmare imaginable.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Wed, Oct 20, 2010, at 10:05 AM
  • You can still order it online sans prescription.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Oct 20, 2010, at 10:33 AM
  • adidas,

Pseudoephedrine does not make a cold less contagious, it just eases the symptoms.

Granted, less coughing and sneezing reduces the number of airborne germs from the infected person, but the germs are still left on coffee cups, door handles, telephone recievers, etc., whenever they are touched, pseudoephedrine or not.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Oct 20, 2010, at 10:36 AM
  • Yes Shapley, I was thinking about the reduced coughing and sneezing, relief provided by cold medication, since a cough spreads the germs 8 feet.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Wed, Oct 20, 2010, at 12:12 PM

Respond to this thread