Speak Out: PR Opportunity For Congress

Posted by Lumpy on Sat, Sep 25, 2010, at 9:26 AM:

Watching Stephen Colbert's testimony on Capital Hill yesterday http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1T75jBYeCs I thought that perhaps this would be a prime opportunity for Congress to improve their tanked approval ratings, and help bring down the public debt in the process.

I propose a program in which every Friday afternoon that Congress is in session, a citizen (determined by lottery) gets to air their concerns in official congressional session for 10 minutes uninterrupted.

I am told that these congressional testimonies cost $100,000 per hour to hold. $10,000 is a bargain, and the television rights for such an event would result in a bidding frenzy that could be contributed to working down the public debt.

Of coarse the resulting committee would probably be staffed by freshmen and low ranking congress members. Here is the kicker - any member of Congress that has held office for more than 10 years would automatically be mandated to serve on this committee. Also, any member of Congress from the lucky citizen's homestate would be mandated to be in attendence.

Congressional Smackdown - American's favorite new reality show. Broadcast in HD every Friday afternoon - only on The Disney Channel.

Replies (3)

• No nuttier than some of the things Congress has done or neglected to do.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Sep 25, 2010, at 5:04 PM
  • Vandeven, Good post, probably the only way to deal with ignorance gone to seed and played out in congress is to use the style of irony we see on Brad's blogs.

I will have to admit my ignorance here, I didn't know who Stephen Colbert was when I saw this. Maybe he could have a political career if he moved to Mina-sote-tuh.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Sep 26, 2010, at 9:57 PM
  • Thank you for sharing this. I am now a fan of Mr Colbert!

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Mon, Sep 27, 2010, at 7:53 AM

Respond to this thread