Speak Out: Speak Out 3-24-22

Posted by dbennett on Thu, Mar 24, 2022, at 5:31 PM:

Still have not been through Center Junction. Just have not had a reason to go that way. I read an article on Russia today in which one of his top aides alledgedly said that Russia will crumble because of Western sanctions. But then Putin gave a speech saying the opposite. Not sure how that horrible situation will end.

Replies (5)

• The center junction intersection still has two traffic lights, but no right or left turn arrows.

Interstate access, in both directions, either entering or leaving is not disrupted.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Thu, Mar 24, 2022, at 6:06 PM

Wait until they start installing some Divergent Diamond interchanges in Cape County. They will give you something to think about. You do a switchover and drive a short distance on the wrong side of the road. There are two of them within a short distance of me, one in St. Charles, MO at 5th St. and another at St. Peters, MO at Mid Rivers. They both have been around for awhile and eventually people get used to them. Don't seem to have a lot of accidents but I am not sure why.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 24, 2022, at 10:06 PM
  • The reduction in accidents is likely due to cars no longer having to cross in front of opposing traffic to make left turns.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Fri, Mar 25, 2022, at 6:53 AM
  • The lines of traffic were also there before. I've driven through there about 20 times and don't think I've ever stopped at more than one of the lights. There's also been times I went through the entire intersection without stopping at all.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Fri, Mar 25, 2022, at 7:14 AM

The reduction in accidents is likely due to cars no longer having to cross in front of opposing traffic to make left turns.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Fri, Mar 25, 2022, at 6:53 AM

Leftau that statement shows what little you know of a Divergent Diamond interchange. You have to pass in front of cars twice that could hit you in the side to switch sides of the road and then get back to the side you are accustomed to driving on. That happens within the space of one block. And it does not eliminate left turns after you have crossed the interstate where it is placed. The advantage is it takes much less room than a cloverleaf in an area that would require a big expensivie taking in a possibly already devoloped area. And it doesn't totally avoid the cloverleaf in getting off the interstate at the intersection in some aeas such as 5th street St. Charles going west. Much more confusing than a roundabout that seems to cause confusion for some.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Mar 25, 2022, at 8:12 AM

Respond to this thread