Speak Out: for Dog lovers

Posted by Skeptic1 on Sat, Apr 24, 2010, at 10:50 AM:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/23/hero-dog-leads-alaska-troopers-explosion-si...

Isn't this great?

People don't understand that dogs aren't just pets. They are family, your loyal protector, and loveable furry friends for the grandchildren!

Replies (38)

• adidas, I absolutely know what you are saying. Animals have all ways been a part of my life. Over the years we have had dogs, cats, parakeets, and even a raccoon that we had for 17 years. None of them have been pets, they have been members of the family. I have never been able to understand how people can take an animal and then take them to the humane society or worse yet take them out on a country road and drop them off when they become more trouble or expense than they expected. By the way, over the years we have been adopted by two very good, apparently pure breed dogs that were apparently dropped off on our county road. We currently have 4 dachshunds. The first one is mitzie. Mitzie is a beautiful black and tan who is highly intelligent and has a distinct personality. The next one is Fritzie, aka baby, who is also black and tan. We got Fritzie, who is also very smart with a distinctive grumpy personality, to breed. However, things did not go as planned. By the end of his first year, it became evident he was never going to be a baby daddy. So we went back to Beebe, Ark. in search of another male. At Beebe we met up with another breeder who had a 2 year old red male with a chocolate nose. He was a beautiful dog, but he was very subdued. They offered to sell him to my husband for $50. My husband explained that we were looking for a black and tan male and declined. By the end of the sale they approached him again and offered to give him the dog if he would just give him a good home. They explained that they had been given th dog by friends who wanted to get rid of him because he chased their horses. Stanley was a dog with problems. He would not respond when called, he liked to chase our lamas, and he had nasty reactions when you tried to punish him. However, in the last 2 years, he has learned to trust us. He has developed into a very trusting and protective dog. He is very friendly and has dropped most of his bad behavior. If we had given up on Stanley and baby we would not have the 4 four legged members of the family we now have. And oh, the fourth dog is Beau, Mitzie and Stanley's baby.

-- Posted by mitziesmomma on Sat, Apr 24, 2010, at 1:38 PM
  • I had a black & tan named Fritzie when I was a child. Smartest dog I ever had!

Now I have a malamute and she is my protector! Heaven forbid anyone try to break into my place! But she is also my lap dog because she doesn't think she weighs 80 pounds!

I just love this story about the german shepherd. Wow, it never ceases to amaze me just how smart and loyal your dog can be!

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Sat, Apr 24, 2010, at 2:06 PM
  • I've had a German shepherd, a Doberman pinscher, a min pinscher, and now an Italian greyhound. Each different in their own way and all loveable. But this Iggie is like Velcro, except he has discovered his own mini-park just outside his door and is getting a little too independent.

By the way Adidas, I lost all my e-mail addresses and files when I move. Contact me at grandvoyager@hotmail.com as suggested on my thread Move again? Never.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Apr 24, 2010, at 2:26 PM
  • Ok voyager, will do.

I would love to see a picture of your Italian Greyhound.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Sat, Apr 24, 2010, at 3:59 PM
  • Voyager, Did Trigg bring you in anything for your birthday? Happy Birthday!

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Apr 24, 2010, at 6:39 PM
  • It just dawned on me, the pic I sent Spank is the most recent I have and that was some time ago. So as soon as I really settled in, I'll make current pics.

I think Trig may have grown only slightly and maybe put on a pound or two. Certainly has gotten a little more independent of late. He loves his mini park. Great new smells and new places to do business. Several squirrels with whom he would like to strike up an acquaintance but hold out little of such coming to pass.

He has become a little more cautious of some strangers but not with people he knows. Today is his day to play therapy dog at the health care center, something he is very comfortable doing. He takes to the residents with alacrity.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Apr 25, 2010, at 12:00 PM
  • Well Voyager, maybe we can see trig when we head your way for our vacation! 8 weeks from now.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Sun, Apr 25, 2010, at 2:57 PM
  • HAPPY BIRTHDAY, VOYAGER!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sun, Apr 25, 2010, at 3:11 PM
  • spank- how is your dog? Is he still being medicated? If you haven't found a really good vet that you trust, I highly recommend the one off Willima street on christine st.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Sun, Apr 25, 2010, at 6:02 PM
  • Oh I do know what you mean! My malamute is a very lovable wel behaved dog, but you would never know that if you saw her at the vet!

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Mon, Apr 26, 2010, at 10:54 AM
  • Spank, get ya some hotdogs and shove that lil' sucker (pill) in the middle. My dog never knows the difference, of course he doesn't chew his food either. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Mon, Apr 26, 2010, at 5:23 PM
  • I smother the pills with peanut butter!

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Mon, Apr 26, 2010, at 6:56 PM
  • I use braunschweiger. The dogs love it and so do I. Think I'll have some right now.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Mon, Apr 26, 2010, at 8:45 PM
  • Oh, he was such a cute puppy!

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Tue, Apr 27, 2010, at 1:14 PM
  • btw- I have to take my dog in for surgery again. She is only 8 years old and this is her 3rd tumor.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Wed, Apr 28, 2010, at 7:18 AM
  • -- Posted by Skeptic1 on Wed, Apr 28, 2010, at 2:55 PM
  • Had to tell Pops about that, adidas ... He didn't laugh, though!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Wed, Apr 28, 2010, at 3:20 PM
  • I think the men on this blog would say it is easier to talk to their dogs that women, so on this one it goes both ways.

I have a nephew who in his first divorce he lost 3 dogs to his ex, in his second divorce he gained cats and a dog. I told him prenupt the pets next time!

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Wed, Apr 28, 2010, at 10:01 PM
  • Adidas, I hope your dog comes through surgery successfully. A third tumor in 8 years?

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 9:52 AM
  • Thank you voyager. Yes she had two removed last year and a new one grew and that is being removed Friday. I am worried about it this time because this one hurts her and the other two didn't.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 2:33 PM
  • Adidas, you will keep us constantly updated, won't you please?

Spank, what's Tater's outlook?

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 8:59 PM
  • Spank, believe me, one can never be fully prepared for the worst even when one knows its coming.

I sometimes think we are more strongly tied to our pets than we are to people. Why I can not say, but it seems so.

All we can done sometimes is just hope and pray for the best.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 10:49 AM
  • Spank,

Sorry to hear Tater is not doing well.

-- Posted by Red_Rhino on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 11:32 AM
  • We have two Boston Terriers and both came from the shelter. One came from Wayne county when they had those terrible storms two years ago and she just trembles when it storms. The other one we had surgery on for a prolapsed rectum that would come out every time she had a movement. We love these dogs probably more than a lot of people love their children. Little Callie's rectum still comes out from time to time, but when it does we are happy to put it back in. Don't know if I could do that with another person. hope I didn't gross anybody out, I didn't intend to.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 2:03 PM
  • My malamute had her surgery today and the growth was sent off for testing. Now I have to wait for the reults to see if it was malignant. praying

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 6:00 PM
  • The trials and tribulations we have with our pets is the price we pay for loving and being loved by an animal.

We should all include in our prayers all animals to need of help and loving care.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 11:41 PM
  • I have no opinion. sateva.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, May 1, 2010, at 12:25 PM
  • howdy, you are right that was TMI! ☻

adidas, I hope all is well with your beloved pet.

Spank, one of these days I'm gonna get my hands on Tater and smother him with love. Just remind me not to pick him up! ;o)

-- Posted by Turnip on Sun, May 2, 2010, at 4:40 PM
  • Turnip:

I'm kinda thick headed,what is TMI? Maybe I'm having a brain cramp.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Sun, May 2, 2010, at 7:11 PM
  • howdy, Too Much Information (TMI)! I was just teasing you though. I'd do the same and have done alot for my pets. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Sun, May 2, 2010, at 7:22 PM
  • We had to put our other Boston to sleep 3 years ago. It was the hardest thing I ever did. We had taken her to Columbia 6 times and they helped her greatly. Gave her about 4 more months of quality life. Those vets in Columbia are very special and caring people. I would encourage anyone to take their pets there if need be. I always felt that the most gratifying thing a person could do other than helping another human being was to come to the aid and benefit of an animal who couldn't help itself.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Sun, May 2, 2010, at 7:39 PM
  • howdy, that's about the time we put our dog down. She was a pit. She was 15. Her quality of life had diminished where I felt I was only prolonging her pain to keep from breaking my heart. It was one of the hardest moments of my life. I was pregnant to boot (emotional already). I still miss her even though we have since gotten another one. This one is a pit as well, still a pup. Crazier than all get out. ☻

Fortunately, I have never had a dog with serious medical problems. At least not to the point our vet couldn't handle. I've had great luck with the vets here, Dogwood. Love 'em.

-- Posted by Turnip on Sun, May 2, 2010, at 7:46 PM
  • Back in 1983 my 14 year old Doberman ceased to be able to walk without assistance. I had decided to take him to the vet the next day to end his misery. But that evening I was holding him in my arms trying to comfort him. He looked up at me as if to say "Its time for me to go." He died in his own home with his family. We buried him the next day in his own back yard that he loved so much. I still grieve for him to this day.

I have never selected another dog of the same breed. For me it would not have been fair to the replacement.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, May 3, 2010, at 9:56 AM
  • the results are in, it is a stage one tumor, and they couldn't get it all. They are talking chemotherapy. voyager, spank, guru- I would really appreciate your advice

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 4:45 PM
  • Spank- what is the name of the clinic in Columbia?

Our malamute is 8 years old. I am so sad.

Does anyone know if dogs loose their hair during chemo like humans do?

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 5:09 PM
  • Thank you all

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Tue, May 11, 2010, at 11:27 AM
  • adidas;

You will not find anymore caring and knowledgeable people than those at the MU school of veterinary medicine. Hope the best for your canine.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Tue, May 11, 2010, at 12:10 PM
  • wow, that is good to know...thanks everyone

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Tue, May 11, 2010, at 12:31 PM

Respond to this thread