Speak Out: EPA Reports Air Quality Has Been Improving Since 1970.

Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Mar 16, 2010, at 10:24 AM:

In case no one noticed, the EPA has released its report on air quality, and its findings aren't getting a lot of headlines. Why? apparently because its good news, and that doesn't bode well for those who want to impose punitive taxes on Americans for their polluting ways. Air quality has been improving over the past four decades, through Republican and Democrat administrations, even as GDP has grown and we've driven longer and further in our gas-guzzling autos.

http://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/2010/03/12/the-air-is-getting-cleaner-...

We should be celebrating, should we not?

Replies (12)

• "The idea for Cap and Trade started as a way for Bush to reduce the acid rain problem facing the northeastern US and Canada. They called it emissions trading back then and it worked wonderfully. The industries that were putting the sulfur dioxide into our atmosphere actually started making money after the emission trading program started. The opponents against it then said that the implementation of such a program would destroy the economy. They were wrong. Jump forward to today and we see the same opponents screaming the same thing about applying a proven money making idea to further improve our air quality by reducing CO2 emissions. I guess you just can't please some people."

Actually, they are not the same opponents. The opponents of President Bush's "Emissions trading" programme were largely environmentalists who did not allowing polluting companies to continue polluting by buying excess emission allowances from newer, cleaner plants. They favoured a 'use it or lose it' approach to emission standards.

The current opponents, myself included, do not favour the 'cap and trade' approach because it favours the expansion of pollutants to include CO2 and other gases previously not counted as pollutants.

Just because the programme works for one thing does not make it good for everything.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Mar 16, 2010, at 12:43 PM
  • The 'conservative-led Surpeme Court' did not define pollutants, the ruled that the EPA had the authority to define certain gases as pollutants. Having the authority is the not same as having a necessity. The EPA, seeing traditional pollutants on the decline, now seeks to justify its existence by expanding its realm of control. That is typical of government enterprises, and is a very valid reason for disapproving of such control being given beyond the lowest practical level. Subsidiarity is always the best practice.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Mar 16, 2010, at 2:02 PM
  • "Shapley, are you a brit?"

No.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Mar 16, 2010, at 8:23 PM
  • Ike, Would a better question be one that inquired to learn if you have been mispelling words?

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Mar 16, 2010, at 8:31 PM
  • The worst air polution is generated by our own government in Washington.

I really don't care one way or the other about Hunter's spelling. What he say is understandable and makes sense. The same applies to Caddyman and Ike although I must question whether it always makes sense.

-- Posted by voyager on Tue, Mar 16, 2010, at 9:49 PM
  • Voyager, I agree. Maybe I should press the paper for a stupid comment recall button.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Mar 16, 2010, at 10:06 PM
  • Old John, I have a confession. I think I accidentally marked one of your posts, you know the exclamation point. It was completely accidental and I hope you were not reprimanded. Surely they read it and realized it was not offensive. Again, my apologies. I will be more careful with my mouse in the future. ☺

-- Posted by Turnip on Tue, Mar 16, 2010, at 10:10 PM
  • You are either a Gentleman or a Lady, whichever the case may be. You have earned the respect given to you by many on these threads.

-- Posted by voyager on Tue, Mar 16, 2010, at 10:25 PM
  • Turnip, I dont know, what is the explaination point?

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Mar 16, 2010, at 10:48 PM
  • John, the yellow one in a circle beside the time of each post. Apparently if you have a problem with someones' post you simply check that to report it for review. I had never used it before and didn't realize all it took was simply clicking on it. Nothing else came up so I'm really not sure. I just felt bad and needed to confess. I feel much better now. ;o)

voy, not sure if you were addressing me, if so...thanks.

-- Posted by Turnip on Tue, Mar 16, 2010, at 11:16 PM
  • Turnip, Let me say this. Does the Yellow exclaimtion at the the end of a thread mean anything if I click on it? I will now press send and then click on that rascal at the end of this post.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Mar 16, 2010, at 11:27 PM
  • Old John, I dunno know if they can actually tell who reported you. You best be careful, two strikes and you may be banned. Trust me, that's not pretty! ;o)

-- Posted by Turnip on Tue, Mar 16, 2010, at 11:33 PM

Respond to this thread